Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

**Buzz Buzz Buzz** - Today is the day. (No...Not THAT day)

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by tilly, Sep 16, 2024.

Were you here for The Thread?

This poll will close on Jan 24, 2025 at 7:00 AM.
  1. Yes. I get this thread. I lived through page 136

155 vote(s)
    86.6%
  2. No. I have no idea what is going on. This place is weird.

24 vote(s)
    13.4%
  1. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 26, 2017
    Good thing nobody was being dismissive of it, simply pointing out that it's not some unprecedented feat especially in this new era where you can import a roster. If a better program had hired Tom Allen based on a similar accomplishment they probably would've been disappointed. We've seen numerous other one year wonders. Any hire is a gamble so I wouldn't be mad if he ended up being the guy but we should acknowledge that at this point (and likely no matter what happens down the stretch) it'd be a pretty risky choice.

2. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    One year does not a whale make.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SewaneeGator

SewaneeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    You chose my post to respond to with "this 'they're Indiana' notion is lazy analysis." Then you gave a lazy rationale by simply bringing up their only full season with a winning record in the past 30 years as somehow dispositive. A) that kind of reinforces the point I actually made, that regardless of their level of competition, Indiana isn't expected to perform well and B) in both 2019 and covid shortened 2020 (the only TWO winning seasons prior to this one in THIRTY years) they didn't manage 7 straight wins to start the season or 7 straight wins at any point. I believe this is the first time since they started playing in 1887 that Indiana has ever started the season 7-0, which fulfills any reasonable criteria of historic for them.

Plus they're not only winning, so far they're dominating. Again, way outside of the norm for Indiana, regardless of who they're playing. And again, I find that impressive.

Yes, he's using portal players. So are we. So is his competition. So is nearly every D1 program. Again, this is a fine observation, but hardly amounts to a critique.

He certainly could be a one year wonder. He could lose the rest of his games this year. None of that impacts how impressive this first year season is for him so far. And since I haven't advocated for him to be our next coach, I've only pointed out what I see are impressive attributes of their season, you could have chosen a different post to make your point with. Perhaps one that that was trying to make the point you seem to be trying to refute.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 26, 2017
    Long winded way of saying "I find certain attributes of their season impressive" which is "a fine observation," I suppose. "It's Indiana" was lazy analysis and "Indiana has never been 7-0" is also lazy analysis considering that the team five years ago played stronger competition earlier in the season. Regardless you can carry on being impressed and the rest of us will continue to discuss potential candidates for the vacancy that we may soon have.

5. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Is it safe to go back into the water?

[​IMG]

Maybe not...

6. SewaneeGator

SewaneeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Ok. Long winded, lazy, anything else? I'm going to take a pass on going back and forth with you any more on this. Your refutation still makes the opposite point you seem to intend. Adding insults and more dismissiveness just makes it a dull conversation. I'm not advocating for any candidates but happy to discuss attributes of coaches brought up by others, especially ones that I find interesting or impressive. I'm sorry that's not clicking with you. Good luck.

7. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    How many failures have an undefeated season besides Frost at little boy school. In a major conference, I can’t think of any.

• Agree Agree x 1