Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

**Buzz Buzz Buzz** - Money talking louder than The Swamp after the Cock Block.

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by tilly, Sep 16, 2024 at 2:07 PM.

Were you here for The Thread?

1. Yes. I get this thread. I lived through page 136

92 vote(s)
    97.9%
  2. No. I have no idea what is going on. This place is weird.

2 vote(s)
    2.1%
  1. 21

21 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 24, 2007
    He does need the portal.. that's why they can't get over the hump now... they don't have the elite offensive playmakers like they they use to have during the Watson and Trevor era... the portal would help Clemson with filling that gap. And I agree that their roster as a whole would make us blush but most programs rosters would make us blush... especially compared to other squads in the SEC.... I say FLAT OUT no to Dabo if he won't embrace the portal... it isn't 2005 anymore

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    I agree
    Early signing day is 12/4, playoffs start 12/6-7

They would not even announce him as the official coach until he is out of the playoffs.

The top recruits would have already signed

3. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    It’s kinda a funny double edge sword because if he doesn’t make the playoffs, I imagine a lot of people who want him now might hop off the train

4. BillyBall89

BillyBall89 GC Legend

Yeah Finebaum did a long rant about this exact issue and how the gators are one of the first teams facing this new reality of hiring a coach. How fun to be on the cutting edge, I guess.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    To hire him there would have to be back channel assurances that he would take the job. Because year one wouldn't have a recruiting class of note.

And you hope he would kill it in the portal.

6. BillyBall89

BillyBall89 GC Legend

Yeah but the ultimate reality is that ends up changing nothing (If we know or not). Because the second choice unless there's some out of left field like Mike Gundy suddenly looking for a change of scenery, isnt gonna do enough to pull together much of a recruiting class anyway. And your second choices are gonna be guys who will take the job as second choices anyway. The 2 weeks - 1 month they would gain would mean very little in terms of materializing anything this year.

7. SmootyGator

SmootyGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 17, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    I don't care that much about missing signing day by a week or two... IF I knew that he would be our coach. Is there a feasible way that we could "lock him in" before he's would technically be done at Ole' Miss? My biggest fear would be that everyone thinks Kiffin is a "done deal", then ESD goes by, and then it "doesn't work out". Then we're left with our "you know what's" in our hands and we're totally screwed. Is there any possibility of Guaranteeing that Kifffin will be our next coach before he's through at Ole Miss? I don't think it works that way.

I guess it's possible that he doesn't make the playoffs and they end up in a regular bowl game. I'm sure he would have no issues leaving before then... but if they don't make the playoffs this year, he'll lose a little bit of his shine.

This is all of course, based on mere speculation that he really wants to coach at UF.

Given that this is happening so early in the season, this thread is likely to make it to page 13,600. What gets posted on page 13,600? I cringe thinking about it...

• Like Like x 1
  8. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Geez. Not sure I can watch another one of these.

9. gatorfan828

gatorfan828 Sophomore

Dec 8, 2016
    Orlando, Florida
    I think everyone is too worried about ESD and recruiting. I like what Shane Matthews said, the recruiting at this point for this season does not matter. If we hire the right coach, the recruits will come eventually either by portal, or the next season. Unfortunately we are already writing off the 2024 season, and we will likely have to write off 2025 as it will be year 1 for whoever is hired. If it is THE guy that takes us to the next level, we have to wait for the long run like we were trying to do with Napier.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. gatorfan828

gatorfan828 Sophomore

Dec 8, 2016
    Orlando, Florida
    It is hard to see us actually making a deal like that tbh. Maybe Kiffin is enticing enough to make us pull the trigger, but I think we are going to end up conservative and hire a Mike Elko type. Or we go after whoever is the hottest OC/DC name out there which would allow us to pay less on the contract.

While I think Kiffin has all the potential to make it work, his contract would likely be MASSIVE and his buyout would be insane. Not sure if the admins are willing to risk it

11. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 26, 2017
    Presumably they would write the contract in such a way as to lock him in, regardless of when the announcement is.

12. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    There’s a reason A&M has not won shit. Seven years 51 million his child’s play. That’s what we pay for the next coach, expect the ceiling to be eight or 10 wins and be happy with that because that is what 7 mil gets you, an average coach that if he wins, you have to bump it immediately or you have a kiffen leaving on the next train.gets you. LSU took a guy that sorta wins. Do you think Kelly ever sniffs a title?

13. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Kiff will go north of 100 mil. That’s the market. It’s ridiculous but it’s going to happen if he doesn’t want a raise to stay in the small pond. Kiff will have a legit chance to prove himself this year and if he somehow ends up in the final four, there will be competition to give him that ridiculous contract.

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  14. freedomgator

Mar 26, 2017
    People keep spouting stuff like this when there are known examples to the contrary. Lanning signed for six years 29M and then got an extension for six years 45M. There's not some linear relationship between how much you pay and how well the coach does. Maybe the big dollar guy is worth it but it's not without significant risk.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. gatorwalrus

gatorwalrus GC Hall of Fame

Sep 24, 2022
    Josh Heupel.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Oregon has not won shit either.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  17. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    He seems to be getting it turned around up there. I don’t know if he’s going to be the real deal for long-term, but it’s not looking like A bad thing at the moment

18. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    If it was a done deal, the rumor would get out and especially those top players we are trying to recruit would have whispers in their ear.

19. freedomgator

Mar 26, 2017
    It's really not that hard to think beyond one example...

20. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Poll added to the OP. Just for curiosity sake.

• Like Like x 1