Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

**Buzz Buzz Buzz** - Money talking louder than The Swamp after the Cock Block.

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by tilly, Sep 16, 2024 at 2:07 PM.

Were you here for The Thread?

1. Yes. I get this thread. I lived through page 136

93 vote(s)
    97.9%
  2. No. I have no idea what is going on. This place is weird.

2 vote(s)
    2.1%
  1. garettk

garettk GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2008
    Mayo, FL
    He played too long. Started coaching later and started at high school level.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. plantado

plantado Junior

Dec 28, 2023
    Well arsewipe, this year I join the grand guard. And being in my 70s, I am royally pisssd that our football program has fallen to mediocre status or below these last 14 years and going strong in the wrong direction.

Now I don’t want Jimboob to be our coach but don’t feel we are going to attract any really good Power 5 coach to come to this dumpster fire. And to be honest, Jimboob recruited very well thanks to the deep pockets of nil boosters at A$M.

3. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    The 25 highest paid coaches would be my top 25 scratch list.

I'd like to see us hire from within our Gator Fam.

We have ppl who are capable, who know Gator Nation, know how to win, know football...Yet everybody wants to go fishing outside for another mercenary/hired gun.

What's more, we have an opportunity to do something revolutionary here. Don't hire a traditional HC. Appoint a committee to oversee the football coaches, to direct Hire AND FIRE position coaches, so we don't get hamstring with a 3rd and Grantham or Naptime as OC for 3 years, bc the joker we did Hire is too stupid, stubborn and/or blind, to own they have a weakness on staff...

So everyone wants to shoot down Bell, Spurrier, Emmitt, Wuerfel, Doering, Matthews, Spikes, Tebow... as HC--imagine those guys on a board overseeing who's HC, who's head recruiter, who's OC, DC, etc.

Yall think theyd field a shitty product? Not be responsiive to Gator Nation?

I damn sure don't.

I think it would be a bold and very promising approach with crazy upside.

Jmho.

4. gatorich

gatorich GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Pensacola, FL
    1. Lane Kiffin....by a long shot
    2. Jeff Brohm - Really warming up to this option. Solid coach with an exciting offense.
    3. Let's hope it doesn't come to that

5. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    I think it's because he hit himself in the nuts spiking a football once.

6. gatorpjb

gatorpjb All American

Jan 1, 2021
    Lithia, Florida
    We all love Kerwin, but his record says it all, he has won 10 games or more just twice entering his 16th year of collegiate coaching (including the 14-0 at Valdosta St.)

His overall record is a solid 110-58 (not counting this year, currently setting at 1-2) but it has all been at a lower level.

I think Kerwin loves where he is at and understands that as much as he loves UF that it’s not the place for him.
    That said his son Kade is a name to watch in the coming years.

7. LS1

LS1 All American

Sep 9, 2015
    Marysville, OH
    Just my opinion, of course......

James Franklin: as far as performance, he's a poor man's Mark Richt. He's also a whiner, he's afraid to play good teams, and he embraces locker room "hazing"....must have something to do with that traditional Pedo State culture. No thanks. He's one of the most overrated coaches in football and seems like a complete tool, honestly.

Ryan Day: great coach, but it's not gonna happen. Entitled Buckeye fans can cry all they want, but barring a complete disaster, he's not going anywhere. He has total support from anyone and everyone who matters at OSU.

Dabo Swinney: not gonna happen. Why would he leave Clemson?

Mike Gundy: if he hasn't landed a bigtime job by now, he never will.

Bill O'Brien: absolutely not. He's "just a guy" at this point. Not fit to lead Florida.

Matt Rhule: if he can turn Nebraska around (and he's on the right track), he will be royalty there for life. They will give him a key to the city, build him a statue, hell, they'll probably build him a castle or something. UF might be a step up, but he seems really happy there. Worth a shot, but I don't see it happening.

Jeff Brohm: possibly a Louisville lifer, and probably not good enough to lead Florida. Could certainly do worse, though.

Chris Klieman: if we miss out on Kiffin, he might be one of the best candidates.

Jon Gruden: zero percent chance. It wouldn't make sense anyway.

Brent Key: mediocre track record. Need to see more before he should be considered.

Mike Vrabel: won't happen. He's staying in the pros.

Urban Meyer: zero percent chance. I don't know what else needs to be said to convince people of that. He seems to like being an analyst, and Shelley will probably leave him if he gets back into coaching.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Then sounds like we have our guy …

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. 31g8r

31g8r GC Hall of Fame

Oct 20, 2013
    With zero takers for the position. Vet the damn list based on style of play and top 15 finishes in stat categories that matter starting with W and Ls, post season success, recruiting, offensive production, defensive production, special team production. Length of stay at previous stops. Note any evolution of philosophy with changes in the college game and assistant coaches success.

Offer the job to the person who has the highest combined score. Period quit chasing non-serious coaches that when they say no makes us look foolish and desperate. Nobody will satisfy the kiffin only crowd. They will be ready to pounce on every facet of future coach x until there is a search for #6

10. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 26, 2017
    So according to this analysis all of the candidates either suck or won't come with the exception of Klieman?

11. LS1

LS1 All American

Sep 9, 2015
    Marysville, OH
    If that's how you want to look at it, sure? Some of those guys might end up being great here or elsewhere. I certainly don't know any better than anyone else. But to me, it just seems like a bad year to be looking for a new coach. Too many unknowns at a time when Florida can't afford to take a chance on another unknown, IMO. I just hope we have some luck on our side this time.

12. Hill_Raiser

Hill_Raiser GC Legend

Oct 9, 2008
    Jimbo lol…

dude left a pre transfer portal FSU in such bad shape it got Willie fired near immediately and did so poorly with unlimited NIL at aTm that they paid a record buyout to make him go away. Any BOT/AA member who even floats that name as an idea should be forced to resign

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Doesn't seem too different from what we've done previously, and always we're at the mercy of that one coach, to whom accountability = a golden parachute. For sucking out loud. See Meyer in '10, Chump in '12, Mac in '16, Mullen in '21, Naptime/Scared Money in '24.

Champ and Mullen were actually salvageable under the system Im proposing. (Save them from themselves).

As I posed elsewhere, NIL and the portal represent a seismic shift in the terrain--the end of an era that dates back to Knute Rockne, that ran clear through Nick Saban--where HC was THE key to winning (It wasn't that way back when Princeton recked up like 30 nattys, and it's changing again).

The system now favors players, and you need institutional systems geared to cater the players, not rich old men (why Saban retired, Dabo spinning his wheels, and what urbs was referring to when he said "that ship has sailed"--that "ship" would be the CFB we knew and loved during that 100ish year era).

I know....i'm just an anonymous basement dweller, but that's how I see it, and my proposal first and foremost, calls for keeping as much as we can in house.

We have proven winners who know football and what it takes to win (many dynamics have changed, but not the basics of the game itself, and what it takes to win), scattered throughout Gator nation. THAT is our greatest asset, and we seem hell bent on squandering it, looking for some hero gun slinger, in a post gun fighter world--like when the wild west was tamed--succumbed to law and order.

An institutional, corporate (law and order) model that builds on our name, goodwill, knowledge base, and family ties (Gator Nation that is).

Cosa nostra > shiny, stupid spendy outsider crap (fool's gold).

Last edited: Sep 19, 2024 at 6:36 PM
  14. Pnick81

Pnick81 All American

Feb 1, 2015
    Ryan Day has arguably the most talented team every year and a relatively light schedule and still can’t win a championship.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    And now Kiffin is off the list if Mullen endorsed him

• Funny Funny x 3
  17. swamp life

swamp life All American

Aug 12, 2017
    Jacksonville
    I think we can all agree that Billy is done. But what are the pros and cons of keeping him till the end of the season. Is there another coach on the team we could use as an interim coach. Does it look bad if we keep him to recruits?

18. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    Sadly I’m right there with you. Every name that comes up I find myself either poo pooing or they’re probably not realistic. I feel like we’ve been unlucky in timing of when we’ve had to fire coach as to who’s available.