Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

**Buzz Buzz Buzz** - Money talking louder than The Swamp after the Cock Block.

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by tilly, Sep 16, 2024 at 2:07 PM.

Were you here for The Thread?

1. Yes. I get this thread. I lived through page 136

93 vote(s)
    97.9%
  2. No. I have no idea what is going on. This place is weird.

2 vote(s)
    2.1%
  1. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    This is a joke right? Fisher is ass.

And no one is suggesting Saban, Stoops, or Spurrier. We all know they aren't coming.

How is your garnett and gold underwear fitting?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. biggynugs

biggynugs All American

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, fl
    The players don’t eat pb&j any more either.

3. gatorfan828

gatorfan828 Sophomore

Dec 8, 2016
    Orlando, Florida
    This is the best thing I have seen today. Someone needs to send this to Billy Napier

• Like Like x 2
  4. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

3 posts in 2-1/2 years? And this post is one of them? :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

I wonder what SOS’s opinion of this would be

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. StrengthAndHonor

StrengthAndHonor Senior

Dec 30, 2009
    Tampa Bay area
    These quadrennial coaching threads should really be individually published into leather bound books and sold as a boxed set on Swampgas. Maybe even a special edition signed by each departing coach.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  7. SewaneeGator

SewaneeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    His age and time away make perfect sense to me as concerns, and I certainly wouldn't expect equal results, let alone assume a guarantee. But hiring coordinators? I don't think he did a good job here of replacing Mullen and Strong, but he coached at four schools and kept finding and hiring great coordinators. Mike Sanford, Kyle Wittingham, Dan Mullen, Greg Mattison, Charlie Strong, Tom Herman, Luke Fickell, Ryan Day. If anything, his ability to surround himself with great staff has been one of his long term hallmarks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Claygator

Apr 11, 2007
    Urban is just 60. He is good for another ten years easy, if he would stick around.

While he flamed out in the NFL, so did Kiffin, Spurrier and Saban. Meyer built national championship teams at UF and OSU, and IMO, at Utah, although Utah didn't get to play for it.

If his head is right--which is always the question with him-- he is the guy. He can certainly find assistants just as good as--if not better than- Mullen and Strong. Meyer wins in college--period. He will win again.

Kiffin sucked bad at USC, and was unceremoniously "tarmacked". They hated him there.

I'm not opposed to Kiffin, because I think he has matured, but we are still taking a flyer on him. Meyer is no flyer.

9. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    We could probably do worse...but it might be a little too early to snag him.

10. nawlinsgator

nawlinsgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Jimbo failed at A&M with top recruiting classes and arguably more resources than he would have at UF. That's a hard no on Jimbo.

• Agree Agree x 6
  11. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    I don’t recognize that guy, but they regularly purge posts here. If you don’t post a lot, you’ll get knocked down to zero over time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Understand — I’m not knocking him because he’s 60. I’m suggesting that 19 years is a long time to be expected to pick up where he left off here. And I haven’t even brought up his health issues, alleged or real. 19 years — it’s a factor you can’t ignore. I’m not saying he can’t do it — but we can’t ignore it when tallying up the risk factors. It’s not a gold-plated done deal with him as some would like to believe.

13. gatorrob87

gatorrob87 Senior

Oct 28, 2023
    Citra, Florida
    Watson does!

14. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2014
    He's auditioning.

15. Claygator

Apr 11, 2007
    I get it. Meyer's health issues are stress and anxiety, which is why I mentioned "his head being right". He has a hard time dealing with those.

The guy left OSU only six years ago and coached in the NFL for a year since. The game hasn't passed him by.

Still, we may as well debate how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, if he isn't interested in coming. :)

But if he is interested, IMO, we should make it work. I would hire him in a minute.

16. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2014
    This and a hell of a motivator.

17. SewaneeGator

SewaneeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I definitely understand people weighing those "risk factors" in a variety of ways. But without trying to be pedantic, I am curious why you say "19 years is a long time to be expected to pick up where he left off here." If it's picking up where he left off, why choose his UF start of 2005 as where he left off and not pick 2010 when he actually left? Or 2009 with an undefeated regular season? And, of course, he was a top college coach as recently as 2018, through it wasn't here.

18. BillyBall89

BillyBall89 GC Legend

Also...good plays that the defense knows is coming because you've shown that situational tendency in any game ever under Billy...are bad plays.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    He has failed as a coach but it’s not all bad.

20. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Watch them play Ummmmm Sat night. If his team shows up well, this guy could take the lead of the “next guy up” candidates.