Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Bulletin board material from Stackhouse?…

Discussion in 'Nuttin but Net' started by GatorKP, Feb 24, 2024.

1. GatorKP

GatorKP All American

Jul 30, 2011
    hope our guys see this. While we have struggled with this, he really put it out there and called us out.
    ——
    “We’ve got this team again in a couple of weeks and I think we found out something about them and their lack of handling pressure,” Vanderbilt coach Jerry Stackhouse said. “So maybe we can incorporate that a little bit more next time.”

Florida 77-64 Vanderbilt (Feb 24, 2024) Game Recap - ESPN

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    I kinda like Stackhouse cause he was a Sixer and he's sparky, but really . . .
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    Eh, this statement is not without warrant, as we did look vulnerable to the pressure. That said, Golden and crew watched the same game and likely don’t need any help with the diagnosis.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  4. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I don’t think he’s inaccurate. But it’s not like it’s the first game we’ve had issues busting a press either. The problem is can a team like Vandy do it for 40 minutes.

• Like Like x 1
  5. FranceGator

FranceGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    It's less like bulletin board material and more like look in the mirror material. We got exposed.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. crescent_beach

crescent_beach GC Legend

Sep 25, 2016
    Meh, he isn’t wrong. I don’t think he was criticizing our program as a whole, just that aspect that we obviously struggled with.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. SJB612

SJB612 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Most of his success doing that was against backups the last two minutes.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  8. outbackjack

outbackjack Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Nah, they forced back to back turnovers in the last 2 minutes of the first half.
    Honestly, I was surprised they didn’t come out pressing after every made basket

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. GatorKP

GatorKP All American

Jul 30, 2011
    Oh, he’s not wrong. I’m just surprised the coach of the 2nd worst team in the conference pointed out our lack of handling pressure. If I were a Gator, I would read this and have a little extra incentive when I played there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    After the UGA game I was surprised. Auburn didn’t try to give us 40 minutes of hell. Maybe they were just worn out.

But it’s not like a team can just “decide” to press you all game long if they aren’t built for that. Usually it’s self-defeating unless you have supreme depth and athleticism. It was a good move for Vandy in short bursts. We aren’t great at breaking a press, but then again our pace will have a teams sucking wind before they think about pressing. We do need to figure out how to handheld traps better when those situations arise, I’ve seen Pullen retreat and pick up his dribble a few times and I’m pretty sure that’s never a good thing against a press (picking up the dribble is a fundamental no-no).

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Honestly, I’ve been shocked more teams have not thrown pressure and zone defenses at us. It’s almost as if we are not being scouted.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  12. 2-3 easy buckets when a team presses is usually enough to get them to back off. There's a reason we don't see anyone run a true "40 minutes of hell" anymore.

13. KronoGator

KronoGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Sounds like moral victory nonsense

"We won the last 90 seconds!"

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Yep. Did Stackhouse and staff not watch any film on the gators before hand? This weakness has shown up all year.

15. 108

108 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    NYC
    Glad he said it

More emphasis is needed!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. VTGator

VTGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 17, 2007
    Few teams have the type of quality depth to pull it off. So I’d love to see them try to run press for an extended period and then have to play their bench due to fatigue and foul trouble for their best players.

Let them try and quickly find out why other teams have not been doing it except for a couple possessions where they catch us by surprise.

17. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Good. We’ve improved against zine defenses when we were exposed. Now we’ll improve against the pressure, now that we’ve been exposed. Because we will need to get much better (and more comfortable) at handling the pressure attacks as we keep getting better and have big leads, particularly during tournament time.

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    he forgot about it until after the game

19. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

We have to do a better job especially in light of the fact that we have two elite ball handlers on the court most of the time with Pullin and Clayton.

Time to look at film because whenever there is pressure in one part of the court there is none on another.

our bigs handle the ball very well. We need to inbound the ball to one of them and let them bring the ball up.

Near the end of games or half’s we have to get the ball to Clayton or Pullin who are our two best FT shooters. We have to set screens to free them up.

20. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    It’s weird because we play at such a fast pace you’d think beating any type of press would be second nature. But for whatever reason teams running traps against us causes issues.

• Agree Agree x 2