Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Breaking: School shooting with multiple fatalities in Georgia.

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by tilly, Sep 4, 2024.

1. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

But Nelson and others seem to agree,
    And its even become a source of frustration by Dems becoming frustrated with Biden prior to the midterms when numbers where in their favor:
    https://www.politico.com/news/2022/04/08/democrats-biden-gun-control-00024097

Look. I hate guns for the most part.
    I own zero and have never owned one.

I live in a state where I am a vast minority.
    I 100% support stricter laws and outright bans on some of these gun types that are floating around.

I support 2A, but only within what I feel is its reasonable limit.

But democrats have had some chances and whiffed. If their own leadership can say that, then I feel I can too.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. tilly

Mock as you wish. But democratic leadership has admitted to the failure.

3. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    Whether you are right or wrong is not my point. I want you, and pray for you to remain hopeful, responsive. Hebrews 11:1
    An over indulgence of cynicism will leave one with a sclerotic heart.

4. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    Zero chance any legislation was getting through both houses with partial GOP control. And even if it did it would probably get struck down by the radical conservative court.

You’re really stretching the both sides bullshit right now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. tilly

My hope is deep. It just comes from a much higher place than our greedy uniparty politicians who really want only what's good for them in almost every case.

Its why I hate the mocking when people say they will pray.

For people like me, its about all we can do. The politicians will not really put the people first in most cases.

I've just lost my desire to try to justify one side over the other.

My hope is made all the clearer by realizing that they are not the source of hope.

Quite freeing if I am being honest.

Those who have been here for 20 years know how partisan and dug in I once was. Even with things that deep down, i had problems with justifying.

Freedom is hope.

6. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    I own a gun and have been on a shooting range within the past month (clay pigeons and outdoor .22 AR target shooting) , but am not at all a gun enthusiast. My answer is that for a small but not insignificant portion of the AR gun ownership, yes - it's a rifle for hunting . . . people.

7. tilly

Yet multiple democrats agree.
    Also note that my second link called for things that often have bipartisan support and yet Biden dragged his feet.

This is a bipartisan problem.
    An American problem.

8. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Does Georgia even have a law requiring that sort of storage? What is his responsibility here, from a legal perspective? The convenience of gun owners is the basis of most gun laws at this point in places like Georgia.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. pkaib01

pkaib01 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Should the Republicans that allowed the Dad to retain access to his guns also be accountable? They are the ones blocking common sense laws.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Your proposals seem reactionary (i.e. let's examine these factors after the incident). The preventative angle you (might be proposing?) is wildly complex, calling for non-existent resources. Why not prevent guns from being so readily available, not only to children, but to society?

11. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Devil's advocate: Has it worked for cigarettes?

12. BigCypressGator1981

Oct 11, 2011
    Yes, yes it has. Between 1998 and 2019, U.S. cigarette consumption dropped by more than 50%

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    They are also really useful for killing many people in a short period of time. I wonder if we could require licenses to carry such weapons for hog hunting? On that note, can you speak to the kinds of firearms deer hunters use? Thanks

14. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Good. If he in any way made the weapon available after a visit from the FIB, lock his ass up.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    I don't know the numbers, but the large # of mass shootings in the U.S. seems somewhat proportional to the large number of guns available, when compared to nations where gun violence is practically non-existent. And do you not see your own deflection right to mental health? SMDH

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  16. BigCypressGator1981

Oct 11, 2011
    You mean the model that works in literally every other country on Earth?

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. GolphinGator

GolphinGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Gainesville/ Micanopy
    Not sure about Georgia laws but I would guess there is no law that he has to have them locked up. If he was that stupid after having the police come to him about his 13 year old I am not sure a law would make any difference to him. A safe cost about what one gun does or much less depending on the gun. Anyone that owns guns is a fool not to have them in a safe. Just to prevent theft even if you don't have kids makes it worth it.

18. BigCypressGator1981

Oct 11, 2011
    And there it is! It wouldn't have stopped him so why have the law at all!?!? Zero understanding of mitigation.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Nice post. Agree w everything except the last sentence. I readily acknowledge that it requires a deranged individual to shoot up a school, concert, shopping center etc. but the availability of guns are a problem in the country. Perhaps your initial suggestions would help mitigate the issue. I wonder, though, how such measures would be accepted by Congress and the gun lobby. It's worth trying (and certainly efforts have been made time and time again), but something different is going to happen in order for the staunch gun folks to accept change.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Soooo… basically everything the opposite of what GOP politicians have been pushing since the assault rifle ban went away. (Open carry, no license, no training).

• Winner Winner x 2