Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Breaking: School shooting with multiple fatalities in Georgia.

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by tilly, Sep 4, 2024.

1. GolphinGator

GolphinGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Gainesville/ Micanopy
    Most deer hunters do not use AR rifles for deer. If they do use AR's it is a AR10 with a larger bullet like a 308 Winchester round not the 223 that is a much smaller round. Many use semi auto rifles though and again most times a larger diameter bullet. While some do use the AR for hunting it is not what most people would consider a hunting rifle I don't think. It is not what comes to my mind when I hear someone say they bought a new hunting rifle.
    In this case it sounds like he shot a total of 7 people and killed 4 of them so about any type of gun could have had been used with the same results I would think, considering they were not long distance shots if he was inside the school.

2. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Interesting and good point. I was thinking that cigs are still quite readily available, ntm the prominence of e-cigs and vape/etc. But it sounds like you're right that a certain extent of reform has occurred.

3. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    It's been wildly successful in curbing smoking, especially in youths.

We are never going to completely solve the gun violence problem in this country but we can make it significantly better. I'd love it if these shootings happened half as often.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. GolphinGator

Apr 9, 2007
    Gainesville/ Micanopy
    I was saying that is how I feel about this guy after he was already visited by the law about his 13 year old son. I didn't say it would that would be the case with everyone. Don't you have anything better than trying to start shit about every post I make? Go play your video games or something. Help your mom clean thee house for a change.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Thanks. When I read the "AR for hunting" angle, it's usually hogs or some kind of varmints on a farm. Seems like deer hunters, which are probably the most common hunters who use firearms, use something diff. I'm not so sure that any other type of gun could have shot seven people, killing four. How many rounds do you think the kid got off? I bet it was way more than 7. Probably couldn't do that with a pump action shotgun which carries what, five shells? Some handguns, yes, but a semi auto rifle can hold dozens of rounds. I shot a .22 a couple weeks ago with a 25 round clip. Could pop those rounds off PDQ.

6. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Not good enough

7. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    There are an estimated 400 million guns in the US. If guns are truly the problem then logic would tell you there would be more mass shootings in this country than anywhere else……………
    Survey says: ding, ding, ding ️

Public Mass Shootings Around the World: Prevalence, Context, and Prevention | Rockefeller Institute of Government

• Winner Winner x 3
  8. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    Don't let good be the enemy of perfect. Gotta start somewhere. Insert cliche here.

• Like Like x 2
  9. mikemcd810

mikemcd810 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Why is murder even illegal? People still do it everyday.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. GolphinGator

Apr 9, 2007
    Gainesville/ Micanopy
    I would think a shotgun with 5 rounds would be bad news and fast to reload. Like you said a handgun many that hold 19 rounds would also be bad at shorter distances. That is why the argument against high capacity magazines is popular although any gun that uses magazines can be reloaded very fast if someone carries several with them. Most semi auto "hunting rifles" don't use a magazine and only hold about 5 rounds.

11. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    So there is a highly questionable path to accountability here. Perhaps, we could make that more concrete with something like a storage requirement or liability following from the gun owner to the act (something like an insurance requirement against the possibility of the gun being used to harm another person).

12. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Honestly your gyrations to come up with plausible both sides narratives is painful to behold. You can be independent and not necessarily frame everything as “both sides bad” arguments.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  13. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    That would probably take some doing. Hogs are an exotic and administratively considered livestock in FL and in GA (i think). Open season year round on hogs same as on your own cows.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2024
  14. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    IMG_0027.jpeg

It’s fake but makes a point.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  15. GolphinGator

Apr 9, 2007
    Gainesville/ Micanopy
    I think there is already a liability there. The gun owner is liable from a civil side for sure and should be held liable criminally in some fashion it seems from what we have heard so far. Now that is assuming the gun belong to the father.

16. helix

helix VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    At least in Florida, hog hunting is one of the few types of hunting that does not require a license and has largely been deregulated as they are such an invasive and destructive species with a ballooning population. You may take them using any legal means (e.g. any kind of legally owned gun, knife, bow, trap, etc)

As for deer hunters, the answer to that question depends on where you are doing the hunting. Most states, rifles are popular. In the south where deer are smaller, AR-15s are popular, as are all varieties of semi auto, bolt action, and single shot rifles using intermediate cartridges in addition to lever actions using calibers like 30-30. Calibers will generally range from something like a .223 or .22-250 up to .308 or 30-06.

In midwestern states where deer are significantly larger, you'd see larger calibers like .308 or 6.5 creedmoor, .270 and other similar cartridges and in some cases longer distances (500-1000yds in some cases) using hotter magnum cartridges n some of the less populated and more mountainous states. You'll see a variety of guns in a variety of platforms depending on purpose. Some folks will use lightweight bolt guns, especially those doing a lot of hiking and backpacking. Others who sit in a blind or take ATVs etc. may have more precision oriented bolt or semi auto guns (including large platform AR-10 pattern rifles) that allow them to reliably take game humanely at longer distances. Folks choose these not because they are more effective at taking game. They shoot the same ammo at the same velocities as other guns. They choose them because they are available and easy to work on and customize cheaply for your needs.

Some of these states where the land is very flat and houses tend to be closer (e.g. Iowa) do not lend themselves to longer ranges and may restrict hunters to shotgun slugs only or shotgun slugs and flat wall cartridges (e.g. lever guns shooting something like .44 magnum or .45-70 or AR-platform guns designed for cartridges like .350 legend). These cartridges tend to be effective inside of a couple hundred yards max, but inside those ranges they work really, really well. But that aside,

Last edited: Sep 5, 2024
  17. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    38,000 gun deaths a year . . . GOP opposes gun control laws. Two cases of voter fraud a year . . . GOP passes 361 new voter suppression laws.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  18. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    You think those lawsuits caused a decrease in cigarette consumption? I don’t agree.

The cigarette consumption parallel doesn’t work. Cigarettes, used in the manner they are intended, directly harm those that buy the cigarettes. We do not see guns doing the same to those that purchased the guns; rather, those purchasing the guns are using them to commit illegal acts. There is a break in causation that doesn’t support suing gun manufacturers. Now, if they were illegally selling guns or something that would be different.

19. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I mean, *if* we learn enough about these factors, we can *potentially* know where warning signs may lie before an incident even occurs. Or, conversely, we may learn enough to know that it is much less forecastable than was ever previously imagined. But we can't possibly know which is true unless we examine the material. Making the information publicly disclosable would also help combat myths that are developed or theorized about correlations. I just don't see a down side here.

Like I said, it's not an either or scenario. Let's say the resources were privately funded, donations, charity, whatever. Would you then have a problem with pursuing the information? If the issue is deemed important, resources will be made available one way or the other. If we're to claim the issue is not deemed important, the question I have is why?

I have zero problems with pursuits along the lines of gun prevention. I just don't know what that looks like, so I don't comment on that aspect of it. I do read many of the back and forths from others on it, however.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

20. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Based on what law? As you pointed out, they don't have a storage law. And civil suits will likely be unable to ever really collect, as there is likely no insurance here against a large-scale liability, such as the death of four children due to negligence. Again, convenience of the gun owner was prioritized. This is the result.