Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Both Lagway and Mertz to play against Tamu

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by twodaparty, Sep 9, 2024.

1. gatorwalrus

gatorwalrus GC Hall of Fame

Sep 24, 2022
    Amalgamation
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. ETGator

ETGator Long-Time Gator Stuck In East Tennessee Moderator VIP Member

Sep 15, 2007
    I generally agree but remind everyone Shane (Matthews) was/is really concerned about DJ's mid-range throwing and especially across-the-middle throws and he knows a thing or two about playing QB in the SEC so I usually listen. I think it's a thing that only experience can improve though.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. rtgator

rtgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    "Mertz however, the first pass that is off target and its going to get ugly."

Whoever starts, the fans need to be adults and give Mertz or Lagway a few drives to see what he can do. A single incomplete pass could be due to the QB, the WR, the OL, bad play call or good defense. PLEASE give whoever starts a chance.

Then, if things aren't going well after those drives . . . . .

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    That one's more like, Amalgabation.

5. RipCurl

RipCurl Junior

Apr 7, 2010
    Well since we’re back to deleting posts, let me just say how honored we should be to have Billy Napier as our HC. I couldn’t agree more with starting both QBs. What could go wrong?

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    True, at least with Lagway the defense has to at least respect the post or deep ball. With Mertz they are not concerned about him going more than 8 yards downfield.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2014
    But that OL and coach Sale are....................awesome!

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
  8. gator34654

gator34654 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 5, 2007
    Won't get better by sitting on the bench, I respect Shane but for the first college game, Lag was uber impressive. TAM is not Samford, their D is much better and it will be much tougher. But for me, I just feel Lag gives us a better chance of winning for all the reasons I shared. He has the capacity to give us the big play that could be the difference we need.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. DieAGator

Apr 3, 2007
    If a HC doesn't have the relationships or wherewithal to hire better, it's where we end up. Seems insecure to keep guys around that clearly aren't good at their profession.

10. gatorwalrus

gatorwalrus GC Hall of Fame

Sep 24, 2022
    Did he give examples as to the reason for concern?

11. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    How is he ever going to get better at reading defenses (which will boost his mid-range throwing tremendously) if he's on the bench watching Mertz adinkin' and adunkin'? Lagway needs playing time and it's best to get it against lower end competition now, before we're playing Texas and Georgia.

• Like Like x 2
  12. DieAGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Unless DJ is banged up, I would start him. Tough business but Napier has to be a tough coach if he wants to play in the big leagues. Might I start Mertz then insert DJ, perhaps. It's not fair to DJ to have to carry the team, but OTOH, he seems more capable. But I would make sure DJ is healthy and ready. My only criticism of Mertz is that when he does throws more than 20 yards, it's to covered receivers or a ball placement that a receiver cannot make the catch.

13. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

I am not comparing the talents of Tebow and Lagway, just the fervor of the people that want to see our QB2 start... then and now, respectively.

Lagway is exciting to see, and has a canon of an arm, with excellent touch too. People will want to see Lagway more and more. I hope they do NOT boo Mertz... like they booed Leak.

I just hope we win the darn game and both play well.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    It was noted at Wisconsin and seems to ring true here that Mertz doesn't like to make money over the middle. He always loved over the shoulder throws, outs and corners. That probably should have informed us how risk averse he became once the scheme in Wisconsin and pressure to come through on 3rd and long piled on the ints to his resume.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. ETGator

ETGator Long-Time Gator Stuck In East Tennessee Moderator VIP Member

Sep 15, 2007
    No he didn't give examples but my guess is the disguised coverages he'll see @gatorwalrus

@okeechobee . . . that's why I said it's a thing that can improve only with experience though.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  16. gatorfan828

gatorfan828 Sophomore

Dec 8, 2016
    Orlando, Florida
    While I agree completely. There is no way it wont happen. Mertz has not done anything to make the fans give him time, especially after DJ lit it up last game

17. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    Make Mertz earn his job back.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. SJB612

SJB612 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    I say give Mertz one more shot, as in the first quarter of the game with scripted plays and such. If he can't connect on anything other than shovel passes, then it is time to turn the page. Why hamstring the offense unnecessarily. The oline is still suspect. We need a mobile QB. Mertz is not that.

• Like Like x 2
  19. gatorshonor

gatorshonor Recruit

Oct 19, 2017
    Jacksonville
    If he didn't care he would start Des Watson at QB. Sometimes people just make bad decisions.

20. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Making an assumption that Mertz is ready to play /fully healthy and gets to practice all week….

It is likely Mertz starts. I’d rather see DJ start. But…not my decision. However….

some posters have suggested start DJ and if he struggles bring in Mertz. Personally, I don’t think Mertz is the type of QB to give us a huge lift off the bench. If we are down multiple scores it is harder for a game manager to bring a team back and I don’t think bringing in Mertz would jazz the crowd up or even the team/teammates.

i think the opposite is true if Mertz starts and the team is struggling and you bring in DJ. The crowd will go nuts, and amp up the team. Instant momentum. A skill set to throw deep so if down multiple scores he has a better tool set to help with a comeback (even being a freshman).

Additionally, if you start Lagway and pull him for Mertz…this is something that could impact a young players confidence. If you start Mertz and sub in Lagway, Lagway is put in the position of being the hero with less pressure than starting.

Napier will get tons of grief if he starts Mertz and I get it..heck, I will likely be one of the fans upset about it. But it MAY be a better strategy. Not saying it is…but could be seen that way.

I can see a scenario where Mertz starts this weekend and then on the road vs Miss state - and following the bye week Lagway is announced as the starter. DJ HAS to be mixed in early and play in both of the next two games and perform as good or better than Mertz and then..boom…named starter after the bye week.

• Like Like x 2