Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Both Lagway and Mertz to play against Tamu

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by twodaparty, Sep 9, 2024.

1. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    We got two tackles in the portal and started neither. That’s some dumb shit right there. Either we were too cheap to buy a decent one or the guy doing the shopping needs his ass fired.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    napier announced tonight no more depth charts will be released this season. Injury report was supposed to be out tonight but I haven’t seen that either. Anyone have it?

injury report now out…tre Wilson questionable and unlikely to play due to lower bodily injury. That sucks bad.

mertz not listed so I’d assume he’s good to go.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 26, 2017
    upload_2024-9-11_18-0-26.png

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
  5. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 26, 2017
    Presumably he's involved in shopping for OL.

6. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    They will update that injury list every day leading up to kickoff. Questionable is 50/50. Heard Tre was practicing in a non contact jersey. I expect him to play.

• Like Like x 1
  7. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Hope that is right. I heard he just did walk through. Hurt lower body (knee) on Monday. Hope he plays.

8. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    I’m not a fan of dual QB systems. I think the Leak/Tebow version was probably the best execution of that I have seen, but pretty much any other time I felt it was detrimental to the offense. I don’t like RBs alternating series either. You have a starting RB and you let them play until they need a breather then put them back in. These positions need to establish rhythm and need to play without fear of being yanked out.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    But what does his checkbook look like. If we can see the oline we want , so can he and the 40+ professionals running the team. It looks like the check was turned down every single time for three years. I can’t believe there hasn’t been a single lineman is three years that didn’t take the money. That tells me , we aren’t offering the same type of bags to oline tgat we offered to DJ. They haven’t been a priority. We’ve bought almost every other position at the top of the talent pool but oline and dline has been neglected. Coaching up the three stars seems to have been the plan which often works with the big guys as it’s such a developmental long game anyway. Well, it didn’t work and they got two it’s in the portal who aren’t getting the job done. That’s failure in personnel and allotment of re$ources.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. hawaiigator

hawaiigator GC Legend

Sep 9, 2018
    Can’t agree more. And fans have had the mentality of every year we should be playing QBs this way. It worked for Leak and Tebow because you could NOT stop Tebow in a short yardage run. So it didn’t matter that when he came in, the whole defense “knew” he was gonna run it. Didn’t matter. We haven’t had a QB like that since.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    Swampville
    Someone who will somehow spend a million dollars on one item from the dollar store.

12. gatornee

gatornee Sophomore

Apr 9, 2007
    Wish that Napier had just said “ It will be a game time decision”. Let A&M stew.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. believer

believer GC Hall of Fame

Jun 2, 2007
    I wonder who tamu prefer we start between Mertz and Lagway. If they get who they prefer, something is wrong with us.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2009
    Apparently, he's shopping at Save A Lot.

15. DeepPurpleGator

DeepPurpleGator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 13, 2007
    Last year, SI's CEO was fired after it was revealed that Sports Illustrated had published several articles with fake author names and even AI-generated "photos" of the authors. There was also concern that the articles were also written by AI. This isn't the Sports Illustrated of Frank Deford anymore.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  16. ETGator

ETGator Long-Time Gator Stuck In East Tennessee Moderator VIP Member

Sep 15, 2007
    I had forgotten all about that. I guess most entitles have changed and not many in a good way. It's all about clicks and traffic now and whatever it takes to generate those clicks and that traffic.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I don’t think DJ is the guy to be used as a fullback though. He could probably do it but I don’t think it’s a great idea. I’m more for just letting him run a full offense or as much of it as he knows.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. TGATAH

TGATAH Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    To top it off how on earth will this coaching staff be able to "run two QBs" when they can't even manage the play calling/time management for one?!

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. hawaiigator

hawaiigator GC Legend

Sep 9, 2018
    I agree. I don’t think you can ever have another Leak/Tebow situation again…at any school. It was an anomaly, not a standard for how to play 2 qbs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. lizardbreath

lizardbreath GC Hall of Fame

Aug 30, 2017
    Pace, FL
    I've seen various sources/posters attempting to compare DJL to AR or TT and then trying to draw conclusions re how best to use his talent to the best effect in the here and now. A few thoughts on those comps and what I make of them:

- DJL, is not AR or TT, and I'm fine with that because although both have advantages in one segment of the game or another, DJL brings a mix of attributes to the table that neither could match at this same period in their respective careers. He is unique in his own right and attempting to use him in any sort of paradigm other than as a pocket passer first, with good mobility and a solid run threat second, would be a huge mistake IMO.

- Athleticism means different things to different people, but for me, there is no doubt that AR is the most physically gifted QB I've seen at UF in my lifetime - bar none. His arm strength is more or less super-human, as are his speed and agility for a man his size. He can simply do things I've never seen done by any UF QB before him and may never see again. But at no point during his brief time as a starter, did he exhibit the skill set we saw out of DJL as a touch passer and team leader - in his first start, ever. In terms of looking like a true QB as opposed to an Olympic athlete with a lot to learn, DJL is leaps and bounds better at this stage in his career. I see DJL as having very good to excellent arm strength by any reasonable measure, and his accuracy and touch are already special.

- TT has the heart of a true champion and leadership skills unlike any I have seen in Gainesville since the HBC was in shoulder pads. He was also the most brutally powerful short yardage rusher at QB I have ever seen. His passing talents were quite good at the CFB level, but DJL came in with touch and accuracy that Tim never possessed.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2024 at 2:19 PM
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1