Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Border Wall

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by defensewinschampionships, Oct 5, 2023.

1. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Labor is a commodity, they are coming to sell it because we buy a lot of it

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    I don’t think most illegal aliens are criminals, either in terms of their intent or in the eyes of the US law. As a lawyer you should know this.

3. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    Kudos. A post that I agree with 100%.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    So what you are saying is they have competent legal representation, as is something most Americans expect when they go to court? Isn't this a little like getting mad that a kid has a tutor or teacher telling him how to write an effective college essay? Unless everyone that is 'coached' gets in and has their application granted, I dont think you have much of an argument.

5. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    so everyone who doesn’t agree with your open border policy is a racist… Got it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Not a Chavez disciple. But someone who studied history and believe we can learn from it in order to avoid past mistakes and repeat past successes. The market has been quite successful at regulating itself over the years. Had over 11 million undocumented before the last market crash in 2008. That number dropped to close to 9 million by 2012. It's back up to closer to 11 million now. It would be better for all if we could do a better job at monitoring the flow back and forth and better look at supply and demand. We'd be safer for it too.

And no, I'm not the arbiter of what is just and unjust, but I've made a strong case why our current immigration laws are unjust. And why enforcing them would cause everyone significant and unnecessary harm. I've yet to read a strong argument why the laws as written are just, and why causing said harm is necessary.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    No they are told what to say before they get to the US - not by US lawyers but by the people who are in the immigration smuggling business.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    I see you have no concept whatsoever of how our legal system works. That’s par for the course with most of your post here on other subjects.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Arguments have been presented, you just ignore them.

Again if on demand immigration is so great why were Eric Adams and the NY governor complaining about it?

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Does it matter who coached them on how to make the best argument for themselves? Unless it works all the time, I don't know why this is a problem, or what you could do about it without just blowing up the asylum process (which seems to be the goal of certain people). Courts are based on evidence, not saying the right words as if they are magic.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  11. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    People who overstay a visa have entered legally. They are undocumented, because they do not have current, valid documents. People who enter and claim asylum are also undocumented, but until their hearing, they are here legally. Therefore, calling all of them illegals is a misnomer.

And the crime those who enter illegally and don't claim asylum, or overstay a visa is a misdemeanor. One that can easily been dismissed by Congress with a Gang of 8 style law.

12. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Arguments that have been silly, stupid, or unfounded in fear. They aren't convincing at all. As for Governor Adams, he's complaining because he's on the books for taking care of the immigrants as they come in. Allow them to be processed quickly and given a work visa at the border, and it would be a completely different story.

13. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    if your house is not full of these criminal immigrants, then you have your answer right there. If you’re not practicing what you preach, you probably shouldn’t be preaching.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    C'mon, he's in the pocket of developers and property owners who like big rents, not trying to house people who need help. NYC cant handle 100,000 Americans moving there who dont have much money either for the same reasons. Also he's a clown!

15. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    If you complain about homeless encampments on the streets and you have a spare bedroom, you aren't 'practicing what you preach' either I guess

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    The intent is to let people who qualify for asylum in. The law is being circumvented to allow people who don’t qualify for asylum in.

It would be like paying employees a year in advance and expecting all of them to show up for work every day. Come in, claim asylum, stay here, and eventually we will decide if you qualify, if you choose to even show up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    The problem is that wanting to do it and having it be possible are two different things. For example, ask a hundred Americans how many would want to move to Hawaii. How many do you think would say that they would love that? And yet, Hawaii is still a small state. Why? The answer lies in individual choice. People prioritize being close to family or the culture in their local area or their job or whatever. When there aren't jobs, people are not going to show up here and be without a job in great numbers.

Eventually. Heck we have assimilated over 300 million so far. And, again, the notion that the only thing keeping people from coming here is immigration laws seems, at best circular, when even supporters of those laws admit that they don't stop people.

No, it is because our current system forces those people not to work and forces governments to take care of the people in that period.

Let them work, find them jobs, and they will go where there is a job and housing.

And who decides where that point is? I'd trust the markets more than government to determine an optimal amount of an attribute.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Unsurprisingly, this lacks logic. I am not advocating for immigrants to move into your house. Heck, I don't want random people born in the US to live in my house either
    But I'd think somebody looking to kick those people out of the country would be fairly absurd. Let them live in an available house based upon the desired living arrangement of everybody involved, just like everybody else.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    How can it be 'circumvented' before their claim has even been processed to determine if they qualify or not? They haven't done anything wrong at that point. As we established earlier on this thread, the line is long. Your solution is just to arbitrarily throw people out of line instead of trying to move the line faster. I cant imagine staying in a camp or detention facility for a long time is fun for them either. I don't see many arguing that "you know what, they should just be granted asylum" as a way to shorten the line. I do see lots of people arguing the opposite.

20. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    This is a non answer. Plus it appears you just admitted they can’t handle 100,000 immigrants. Plus you didn’t even speak to the NY governor. Is she a clown beholden to NY real estate also?

• Winner Winner x 1