Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Border Wall

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by defensewinschampionships, Oct 5, 2023.

1. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Did I say I was for an open border? No. Quite the contrary. I said several times I'm for immigration reform, BUT I was speculating that stopping Homo sapiens from migrating is probably ultimately a futile effort.

BTW "far right" does not mean white supremacists. Those folks are fascists.

2. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Where is a personal attack or insult directed at Gator95?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    "Intellectually dishonest", "disabled"? Dude, you need to ease up on the insults. I have nothing but respect for Gator95's opinion. I just disagree with the wall.

4. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    Yes. My doors and windows would at least slow someone down and maybe give me time to respond. Like I said, I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with physical barriers. At some point, there's only so much that windows and doors can do. Even at the U.S. Capitol, White House, and Supreme Court, they have human beings standing guard and don't solely rely upon physical barriers.

5. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Not only that, the following is just so much liberal BS to many these days (it didnt use to be that way when I was growing up):

"Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

6. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    I agree. It slows people down, but it also needs to convey a message: do not cross the threshold without permission or you may be shot.

If you advertise free money, benefits, housing and healthcare …. then you are inviting the trespassers to enter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    This has to be the funniest thing I've ever read on the Internet, ever! The US has never, in its entire existence, been able to fully protect the Southern Border with Mexico. Not when Pancho Villa was brazenly crossing into the US, and not today. But somehow, you would be able to solve a 150 year old problem that nobody else has been able to solve? Bwaaahaaaa

Maybe, but I'll ask again, how many billions are you willing to spend on a wall construction? How many billions on wall maintenance? And how many billions on manning said wall 24/7 in order to be fully secure? For some help, Trump's wall cost about $19.4million a mile, and this was 2020 prices.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  8. oaklandroadie2

oaklandroadie2 Freshman

Nov 14, 2017
    It never ceases to amaze me how seriously some people take this board. And how the use of the ignore feature is some sort of social penalty in their eyes. All the while they tolerate the clowns who revel in the death of a US Congresswoman and posters who only seem to exist here to call others some sort of -ist.

Ignore away brother, I only post on this board a handful of days a year, and usually when I am trapped somewhere with nothing to do. Today I'm in Palm Springs overseeing that our home here is ready for our seasonal visits. In about 2 hours I'll be on my way home to Pasadena and don't see myself posting again until the next time I'm on someone else's schedule.

9. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    If we just really do effectively open the borders and hope they fill up jobs, you are going to overwhelm public support services and infrastructure. I am all for a managed flow of immigrants but an open border will overwhelm us.

10. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Who said open the borders and let everyone in? Not me. The immigrants need to be processed, given an ITIN (tax ID number), and a background check before being allowed to work in this country. The money to do all this would come from the visa fees themselves. We already have about 8 million undocumented people working in this country. $5/week would generate revenues over $2 billion a year. Monies that could be use to process all the immigrants, ensure they are abiding by the visa guidelines, as well as increasing security at the border.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    I'm not in favor of a wall, whether it's supported by Biden or Trump, but this photo doesn't appear to tell a complete story. The dude at the top of that ladder probably breaks an ankle or worse on the other side there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Does this mean you are in support of Biden't decision here?

13. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Maybe? Maybe one guy stays behind and collects the ladder after they are done with it? But there certainly has been an increase in border injuries since Trump's wall went up. And guess who pays for it?

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Do you know what happens to the $ upon expiration? (honest Q)

15. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    That’s easy. We can start with at least $100 billion a year. We spend about $38 billion in foreign aid in 2022. Illegal immigration is estimated to cost the U.S. about $150 billion net per year, so we cut off all foreign aid to everyone, and we use about $80 billion a year (it will decrease significantly every year) to deport every single person in the United States who came here illegally.

So $100 billion a year to build a wall and implement both AI and Human Resources to stop crossings. Simultaneously, Congress enacts a law that anyone from this day forward who crosses over the border illegally, and is apprehended, is forbidden forever from entering into this country for any reason whatsoever. Further, all people in this country who are here illegally will have 60 days to leave without consequences. After 60 days, if they are apprehended, they will be forever banned from entering into this country ever again for any reason whatsoever. Most people would voluntarily leave who are here illegally and save us a lot of money. Then, of course, we have to enforce the law

Let me know if you need any further education. I’m here for you, and I care.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Orange_and_Bluke

Orange_and_Bluke Premium Member

Dec 16, 2015
    [​IMG]

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  17. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    What a terrible assumption. An acquaintance of mine teaches at one of the TX campuses on the border. We were at a conference in May and I asked him about the border situation. He said that many of his students cross the border daily to attend classes and that the stories of "criminals getting in" are wildly exaggerated.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Many problems with your idiotic plan. But let's start with the biggest, gaping one. Labor. US Agriculture is estimated to bring in $1.264 trillion to the US GDP. About 41% of all crops are harvested by undocumented immigrants. That's over $50 billion in lost GDP right there! And this is just one industry representing only about 3% of the undocumented immigrant work force! How much more losses would there be in construction, hospitality, healthcare, and others? And at unemployment uber 4%, where do we find replacement workers?

Not to mention, even if we lost only 25% of our crops, what does that do to food supply? We all need to eat, and food prices are a big component in inflation. So congratulations, you've knocked billions off our GDP and caused massive inflation! Jimmy Carter would be so proud! I hope only stagflation would be the only thing from the 70s to return. Not a fan of bell bottoms!

But wait, there's more! The monies we spend on foreign aid in the western hemisphere countries help to feed and house the people who live there. Guess what would happen if this ended? Less food, no shelter means more desperate people. And what do desperate people do? They migrate to where they can make a living.

Your plan would end up in absolute chaos across the globe. Cause a massive drop in GDP, huge inflation, and cause more demand for immigrants to try and enter the country, as our labor shortages would be epic. Which would cause more money to be spent on Border Patrol.

Still like your plan? Wonder why nothing like this has ever been put forth by anyone with half a brain? But instead, a Gang of 8 plan has?

If you need more education, I'm here to help. If I want hairbrained schemes that would result in the next great depression, I know where you'll be.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  19. oaklandroadie2

oaklandroadie2 Freshman

Nov 14, 2017
    Anecdotes. I love anecdotal evidence.

Here's something that absolutely shows criminals do get in.

MSN

Twelve people were taken out of the home by U.S. Border Patrol to be processed as illegal immigrants, following the alleged gang rape of an 11-year-old girl. Only one man has been arrested in the case, 22-year-old Oscar Luna.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    I think we should just put a bunch of dogs on the border.....My dog wouldn't harm a flea but she sure lets people know they aren't welcome. Funny how people step back and wait for me to open the door when your 40 lb Brittany sounds like a 100 lb rottweller.

• Like Like x 2