Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Blocking a computer from OneDrive

Discussion in 'Gator Bytes' started by cocodrilo, Oct 7, 2022.

1. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Does anyone store files in the Microsoft cloud called OneDrive? I have files there that are accessible on three computers. I want to block access to OneDrive on one computer. I've followed online instructions for Windows 10 and it doesn't do any good. It says to right click on the taskbar, choose task manager, in the pop-up window go to Startup, then select Microsoft OneDrive and choose Disable. Then restart the computer and OneDrive will no longer start with Windows. Baloney. I've done that, Microsoft OneDrive is listed as disabled, yet the files there are still fully accessible, whether OneDrive "starts" with Windows or not. I guess that not starting with it doesn't mean blocking it at all. Does anyone know how to block a computer from OneDrive files, short of just deleting the files altogether?

2. LakeGator

LakeGator Mostly Harmless Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Temple Terrace
    One simple way would be to use a different email address as the owning account on the computer which should not have access.

This article has some other approaches, but I am doubtful they will do what you wish.

3. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Thanks. I'm bewildered by what that article is saying, how OneDrive stores your files there whether you want it to or not. OneDrive has never stored any files of mine except files that I put there. I wonder why OneDrive considers only my files to be so undesirable that it doesn't store them unless I insist.

I'll see if I can change the email address or password or something to block the one computer. I can't believe that I'm the only person using Windows with this problem of not wanting blanket access to my files.

4. nemera199

nemera199 Recruit

Nov 19, 2023
    I hope you have solved your problem! I also faced this problem and will try this method. I hope it will help me too. I just got a Mac and I'm having a little trouble figuring it out. I really like using Microsoft Office and can I download it to my new device?

• Agree Agree x 1