Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Blinken says Iran’s nuclear weapon breakout time is probably down to 1-2 weeks

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by okeechobee, Jul 19, 2024.

1. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    You’re just wanting to change the subject because you know Biden policy toward Iran has been an abject failure. It has accomplished nothing unless you consider hostages in Gaza an accomplishment. Perhaps you consider Iran being able to detonate a nuke as an accomplishment. You’re deflecting for a fraud. Joe Biden is a fraud.

2. mikemcd810

mikemcd810 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It really doesn't get more obvious than this. Some pretty embarrassing attempts to distort basic reality in this read as per usual on Too Hot.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. PacificBlueGator

PacificBlueGator All American

Apr 3, 2007
    Didn't Trump wave around highly classified Iran war plans to journalists at MAL? Bragging they were highly classified and he couldn't declassify them since he was no longer President? https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/26/politics/trump-classified-documents-audio/index.html

Anyway, bombing may not be possible due to the depth of the underground facilities. An Iranian nuclear facility is so deep underground that US airstrikes likely couldn’t reach it

Diplomacy is a far more effective weapon. That was taken off the board when Trump undermined years of work for the agreement.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    Lol whatever I’m not here white knighting for Joe friggen biden. I don’t worship him like you do trump. Im just pointing out the giant planet sized double standard in your most recent argument.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    You’re attempting to make a false equivalence to a situation which has no parallel to the topic at hand. For example, Trump didn’t lift a bunch of sanctions on North Korea. Trump hasn’t allowed NK to enrich themselves or uranium for that matter. It’s such an idiotic premise, all so that you can cover for Obama and Biden’s obvious f up in Iran. Their Iran policy was tragically flawed from the get go. Some of us tried warning you. You didn’t listen. And here we are. Just like here we are with your fraud of a president who refuses to step away despite the most powerful leaders in your party asking him to do so. Try another approach that doesn’t involve defrauding people.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
  6. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Failed Obama policy? The nuclear deal Obama negotiated was done in 2015. Trump ripped up the deal and ended enforcement of the deal basically right away 2017. It hardly even went into effect really. But pretty sure 7 years of NOT having a deal was more impactful to Iran’s nuke program than the 2 years it was in place.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Walk me through the point you're trying to make.

8. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    I don’t speak for @OklahomaGator but I think he is pointing out that Obama nor Biden ever obtained Congressional approval to make the worst deal in the history of the world with Iran. It was done by unilateral executive action. Obama bypassed Congress (who voted against it) and gave Iran nukes. Makes one feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside, doesn’t it? I’ll yield back the rest of my time to @OklahomaGator

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Obama's "worst deal ever" set the Iranian nuclear weapons program back three years. Before the deal, Iran was a year or less from being able to make a nuclear weapon. After Trump ripped up the deal, and Iran started their weapon program back up, it took them four years.

And what is worse? A bad deal? Or no deal at all. Because Trump promised he'd get a better deal. And he got nothing. Nada. Bupkis. Given the two choices, the deal that set Iran's weapon program back three years was much better than the Trump zero deal.

10. vegasfox

vegasfox GC Hall of Fame

Feb 4, 2024
    Iran has had nuclear weapons fir many years.

11. demosthenes

Apr 3, 2007
    1) I don’t believe the Senate voted for or against it.
    2) Obama didn’t “give” them nukes
    3) Iran was already working on nukes and the deal was to slow down their progression
    4) I’m not sure why you think the deal was worse than no deal. What, specifically, made it worse?

I’m still curious to know Oklahoma’s point.

12. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    It’s like talking with a child. U.S. foreign policy on this issue has broadly failed for like 4 administrations. Most definitely including trumps as well. The fact you are unwilling to allow any blame to fall on trump is simply juvenile. You’re the one that said we shouldn’t deal with terrorists and trump certainly had before.

Ps here is the agreement he signed with North Korea - Full text of the U.S.-North Korea agreement signed by Trump, Kim

they kept on enriching uranium btw- Photos show North Korea expanding uranium enrichment plant

so yeah - I guess trump is an idiot too?

Oh and let’s not forget his brilliant prisoner release with the Taliban - Trump Denies Releasing 5,000 Taliban Prisoners — But His Administration Negotiated For Their Release

here was the result - Defying Peace Deal, Freed Taliban Return to Battlefield

Honestly I don’t give a shit about Joe Biden. His foreign policy is as jacked as any recent president. Including trump. What bothers me is that simple jacks like you are so blinded by hero worship you can’t even admit it.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  13. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I think he’s trying to remind us many bad faith Republicans undermined the nuclear deal, it wasn’t just Trump.

14. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Simple, if Obama didn't want the deal undone by the next administration he would have spent some of his political capital getting it approved by Congress. He must have not thought it was that important.

15. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    We are pretending Republicans in Congress engage in good faith now? It’s basically the same crap as the bipartisan border deal that was blown up. There is no good faith.

It was an obvious fair point that you’d want Iran to stop sponsoring terrorism, or to recognize Israel, or whatever demand you want to add in there. So I wouldn’t go so far as to say no legit points were made.

But if nuclear proliferation was the primary objective, maybe it makes sense to focus on that rather than allow for “feature creep” in negotiations? Again, some deal probably better than no deal. With the benefit of hindsight, how can anyone argue against that?

At worst, with the deal maybe we arrive at the same point. Maybe 5 more years. Maybe 10 years. Maybe by some miracle Iran actually remains in compliance indefinitely. That is all unknowable. What we do know is the deal was ripped up and Iran had practically no obligations at all for the past 7 years.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2024
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. demosthenes

Apr 3, 2007
    I had a feeling that was your point and not what Okee assumed. Your point relies on the President being able to move others against their will and/or others to engage in good faith. It’s not just bad faith operators that were absolutely in play as Bling mentions, but Iran is simply a divisive topic that is difficult build consensus. Regardless, this argument falls flat since nothing is permanent, even if approved by Congress. Trump’s policy, short-sightedness, or vindictiveness depending on your point of view isn’t on Obama’s account.

17. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    The only country to ever use nukes in anger deathly afraid of a country that might have one.