Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Blindsided by the blind side. All a sham?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by ATLGATORFAN, Aug 14, 2023.

1. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Said it earlier in this thread unless the Tuoys used the conservatorship to unjustly enrich themselves I don't think Oher has much of a case. Just my gut reaction it's reasonable to assume that Oher was represented by professionals from the senior year in college through his NFL career and thereafter and that if the Tuoys were stealing from him it would have been detected years ago by his agent and/or his accountant and/or his business manager and/or his attorney. As I also said I do believe that he has a valid complaint regarding his representation in the movie as being borderline intellectually challenged although the fault lies with the screenwriters and director not the Tuoys and if he had any legal remedy regarding his portrayal the statute of limitations has probably passed for him to assert it (just a guess).

• Like Like x 1
  2. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Yes, he was. Scout ranked him as the top OL in Tennessee before he moved in with the Tuohys.

3. stan05

stan05 VIP Member

Jan 19, 2020
    Again, he was not being recruiting by a lot of schools before the Tuohys provided support for him. He was slotted to be a JUCO prospect. My position is that he was not being looked at by a lot of top programs before the Tuohys this is from his own my mouth.

4. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    He was likely to have to go the JUCO or prep school route due to his grades. The claim that programs were not recruiting him is false. Any claim he wasn't that big of a football star before he moved in with them is also false.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  5. stan05

stan05 VIP Member

Jan 19, 2020
    No, programs were not recruiting Michael Oher once they found about his grade situation before the Tuohys got involved. You are wrong on this. He was deemed ineligible for college prior to Tuohys. The Tuohys put a lot of resources into him with him involving his education.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  6. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    1. The same Scout article that ranked Oher is the top OL in Tennessee before he moved in with the Tuohys discussed his visits to Ole Miss and N.C. State. Michael Lewis in his article said Oher began getting offers to schools, including Clemson, before his junior season in 2003. He was a football star before he ever moved in with them.
    2. If programs backed off due to his grades, that has zero bearing on what sort of football star he was.
    3. Nobody has disputed that the Tuohys helped him get his grades up.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. stan05

stan05 VIP Member

Jan 19, 2020
    Again, you don’t know what you’re talking here. There has been plenty of football stars in high school who didn’t have the grades to teach their potential as a player. This young man was helped tremendously to reach his potential.

As my point was prior to the Tuohys getting involved colleges had backed off of him due to his poor grades and he was thinking of giving up on his dream. This is coming from his own mouth because a high school recruit by the name of Stanley was on a recruiting trip with him to LSU. Michael Oher then expressed his appreciation for all the Touhy family had done from hi and getting him on the right track.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    I’d argue that you can objectively look at his performance, career and NFL pay to see if somehow he was mistreated in a material way. In terms how he feels, I guess no one else can measure that, although he is only expressing these feelings now, after his career and upon release of a second book.

It just seems what ever action taken by Oher, you will rationalize it or forgive it one way or other, and with the Tuoys only accept that their actions may be defensible only after extensive evidence is presented. You seemed pretty sure that they were making millions off him until multiple sources confirmed they weren’t.

9. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    This is tortured logic. By all accounts Oher would have little or no college football prospects due to academics unless the Touys step in.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. ATLGATORFAN

ATLGATORFAN Premium Member

Aug 10, 2015
    Anyone that’s spent time in courtroom or really any legal case has witnessed attorneys make ridiculous arguments because their job is to make an argument, any argument to advocate for their client. We are expected to believe the Tuohys wealth gave them access to the best legal advice,
    But then ignore Ohers wealth and access to the best legal advice and accept the absurd narrative that every attorney, agent and financial advisor over his career just glossed over a conservatorship and the terms, definitions, benefits and or Limitations, if any, were never discussed with him until he decided to drop his memoir on Aug 8, 2023 conveniently timed with a lawsuit. Noooooo it’s not a shakedown or publicity stunt to sell a book. Puuhlease .

Last edited: Aug 19, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  11. stan05

stan05 VIP Member

Jan 19, 2020
    Unless Michael Oher does not look like a victim in this case, some people (mostly liberals) will refuse to accept the logic in this matter.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Tortured logic? There was an article calling him the top OL in Tennessee before he moved in with them. Anybody who wants to claim he wasn't a football star at that point in his life is a doofus.

I have already credited the Tuohys for helping him get his grades up.

He said it eight years ago.
    'The Blind Side' football star claims the movie hurt his career

I said multiple times in this thread that I didn't know and didn't have the facts. I even noted that movie studios engage in dishonest account practices to cheat people out of profits. As soon as Lewis said that's what happened here, I said I have no reason to doubt him on the money from the film.

As for your complaints that I try to "rationalize" or "forgive" actions taken by Oher, the pot is calling the kettle black.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  13. phatGator

phatGator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    I want to say you both have done such a righteous thing. It’s not easy taking someone into your home or extending your care over someone unrelated to your family. It’s not just the difficult logistics and added expense, but there’s an enormous emotional investment.

Jesus said that as much as you’ve done it for “one of the least of these,” you’ve done it for him. I commend you for that.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. fredgarvin

fredgarvin Senior

Oct 3, 2020
    https://foxsportsradio.iheart.com/c...chael-ohers-real-motive-behind-tuohy-lawsuit/

Jason Whitlock: “Michael Oher, the young homeless football player depicted in the movie ‘The Blind Side’ might be every bit as smart as he says he is. He certainly knows how to hustle. With his NFL career well in the rear view mirror, the 37-year-old former Baltimore Raven is trashing the White family that rescued him from the Memphis streets to launch a career in Hollywood. Oher has written a second book, and he's suing Sean and Leigh Anne Tuohy to draw attention to it. The goal is for a Hollywood producer to take notice and greenlight a sequel to ‘The Blind Side’, a movie that earned Sandra Bullock an Oscar and grossed $300 million. Hollywood loves a nostalgic sequel. Tom Cruise's ‘Top Gun: Maverick’ crushed at the box office. Hollywood also loves movies that demonize White Christians and portrays them as exploiters of Black people. Everybody knows all this. Michael Oher certainly does. He's angry. He made no money off the original ‘Blind Side’, plus he's irate the original did not showcase the role he played in ‘lifting himself out of poverty’. Or he has seen the Obamas and everybody else cash lucrative checks from Netflix and other movie-making entities off racial grip. Why shouldn't Oher cash-in? He's entitled. Influencers across social media will help him sell the lie that the Tuohys brought him into their multi-million dollar home at age 17 because they KNEW he would be a football star and worthy of a Blockbuster movie. That's how it always works out when a Black kid neglected by his crack-addicted mother moves in with a White couple! The child is actually doing the White couple a favor! The child is letting the White couple cleanse themselves of generational racism! Now it's time for Michael Oher to cash-in with reparations-- ‘The Blind Side: $2 million.’"

15. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    You bring up some good points. While from everything I’ve seen makes me think he is in the wrong, given where he comes from, it isn’t surprising he has a hard time trusting people when the first 17 years of your life you were mostly abandoned. Then once in the NFL you have all kinds of sharks, agents, publicists and lawyers who will plant a seed that he is getting jilted in order to enrich themselves.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. ATLGATORFAN

ATLGATORFAN Premium Member

Aug 10, 2015
    The producers added that Alcon Entertainment paid approximately $767,000 to the talent agency that represents the Tuohy family and Oher. "The notion that the Tuohys were paid millions of dollars by Alcon to the detriment of Michael Oher is false," they said.

So now that the money issue has been resolved.. are we back to the “but why did they lie to him about adoption “

sadly contrary to original complaint about the family taking advantage and the film making him look stupid it turns out whoever got in his ear and encouraged this most recent nonsense actually did take advantage of him and really did make him look foolish

Last edited: Aug 27, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I watched that movie NOT for any historical value, but strictly for entertainment.