Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Blindsided by the blind side. All a sham?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by ATLGATORFAN, Aug 14, 2023.

1. ATLGATORFAN

ATLGATORFAN Premium Member

Aug 10, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Its bizarre that someone who has no mental issues and is a rich adult can have a conservatorship hanging over them ... and they never even formally adopted him apparently? And he got no money from the movie of his life? That seems pretty exploitative.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. ATLGATORFAN

Aug 10, 2015
    Also seems a little strange….I’m sure he’s had an agent during his NFL tenure. did the agent not ask about it the whole Time? and nobody discovered he didn’t receive any movie proceeds and researched why until now ? Hard to imagine something would not have come up a loooong time ago

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    Family responded and basically said they didn't receive (hardly) any money from the movie. So I guess we will see who is lying.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    The saddest part of the story is when he was saying the movie made him look mentally slow and dumbed him down, and it hurt his image in the league, but didnt say anything because he thought the movie was inspirational

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. ATLGATORFAN

Aug 10, 2015
    That also seems strange. Do people think GMs Make decisions based on Tim McGraw and Sandra B? I mean it was a movie right and Didn’t it come out after he was drafted? So the GM says. Hey. Michael we love you but the actor that played you made you look dumb so we are paying you 80% ? Seems a little revisionist. Bizarre story

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    The article stated 2.5 percent of “net profits”. 2.5% of 300 million box office gross would be 7.5 million. So net profits would have been significantly less. They were already supposedly wealthy.

Ultimately I have no idea but this kind of strikes me as some opportunism going on here - agents, friends or third parties have planted in his head that he got bilked and now that he has retired they are looking for some sort of payout. Ultimately when he became 18 while you can still adopt there isn’t much point legally.

Given he has no clue what is/was going on even now it’s plausible that a conservatorship was appropriate.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    Didn’t see this coming

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  9. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Sean Tuohy - Wikipedia

Look at the dads bio. He was an all sec point guard, drafted in the nba, long term sports commentator for pro basketball and has over 100 fast food franchises. Does this seem like someone who would trick a kid into conservatorship hoping that he would eventually get drafted in the NFL to get a pay day?

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    Something amiss all the way around on this story.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  11. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011

“We didn’t make any money off the movie,” Tuohy said. “Well, Michael Lewis (the author of the book ‘The Blind Side’) gave us half of his share. Everybody in the family got an equal share, including Michael. It was about $14,000, each.

“We were never offered money. We never asked for money. My money is well-documented. You can look up how much I sold my company for.”

He said he didn’t need $40,000 from the movie.

“I will say it’s upsetting that people would think I would want to make money off any of my children,” he said.

—seems like this will be easy to prove/disprove. They either made millions or $14,000 each.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    If the story about the Tuohys and the conservatorship is true they could be in deep excrement. That being said it's not all that unusual for the screenwriters of sports docudramas to play fast and loose with the facts. I researched the background of two of my favorite "true" sports movies, "Friday Night Lights" and "Remember the Titans" and in both movies the screenwriters decided to be creative with the actual facts for the sake of drama. One example from "Remember the Titans" was the supposed inspirational speech by Gerry Bertier. Bertier was paralyzed as the result of an automobile accident. In the movie the accident occurred the week before the state championship game. The team supposedly trailed by two touchdowns at half-time when Bertier gave a "win one for the Gipper" type speech from his hospital bed after which TC Williams came back from the deficit to win the game. In reality the Titans dominated the entire game and never trailed and the automobile accident that resulted in Betier's paralysis occurred following a banquet celebrating the victory. There was also a scene in the movie in which Black and White members of the team were refused service at a diner. Apparently that incident never actually occurred.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  13. danmanne65

danmanne65 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    I was reading the family had money already. They own or at least control close to 200 franchise restaurants including over 50 chick fil a

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    What you're really asking is if he could be greedy and underhanded. Without knowing the man, the answer is yes. Was he greedy and underhanded? I don't know.

15. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 4, 2020
    I always had a thought about the scene in the movie where the Tuohys were accused by the NCAA of adopting him to steer him to Ole Miss that it was probably exactly what really happened.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. staticgator

staticgator GC Legend

Nov 27, 2016
    As a long time NFL draft follower, I remember there being some pre-draft “red flags” about his “character” and possibly his IQ but he was still a 1st round pick and had about the career his talent level says he should have had. At his peak he was a low level starting left tackle, which is still a high level of achievement, but he was not the second coming of Walter Jones. He still started 110 games and played in two Super Bowls, winning one. Ultimately injuries did him in or he probably could have played longer.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  17. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Because one thing we know about rich people is they know when enough is enough and to just be satisfied …

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  18. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Well whatever the facts are, they will be brought out. No way this gets buried in this day and age.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Certainly. Like all these things we have to wait for the facts.

The player has a book coming out, so it wouldn’t be the first time agents / publishers of writers throw dirt out there to juice sales.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  20. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Coming into of the NFL he had a $13 million contract, annd later an 4 year $20 million contract, and it somewhere said he has a $20 million net worth. If the other two are conservators clearly they had a hand in that as they presumably would be managing his money. How many players blow everything they have?

The royalties due to the family were probably a couple of million grand total.

Just sayin.

What is Michael Oher’s net worth? How much did he get paid for ‘The Blind Side’?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2023