Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Billy Napier Postgame Press Conference 11/26 (f$u)

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by 62gator, Nov 25, 2023.

1. gatorwalrus

gatorwalrus GC Hall of Fame

Sep 24, 2022
    I hope you are correct, I really do, I have my doubts he isn't green lit for 2 more years regardless.

2. gatorsteve_1967

gatorsteve_1967 Junior

Nov 12, 2023
    Hollywood, FL
    well, we have no choice but to wait and see how that will turn out.

3. gatorwalrus

Sep 24, 2022
    Until Napier's recruits produce superior results to Mullen's, they are no better. Simply not able to compare yet, not a statement either way.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. gatorsteve_1967

gatorsteve_1967 Junior

Nov 12, 2023
    Hollywood, FL
    "Hate his lack of in game awareness."

definitely his biggest fault. and i would add his lack of being animated during the game. so many times he looks like dead wood standing there

5. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Billy Napier's individual recruits are producing better than mullens. The total team output isn't. Etienne, Wilson, James, Moore, Collins, etc are showing out well on the field. Outside of a few transfers early on, mullens additions to the program have been few and far apart. It's a moot point given the current state of the program but Napier is bringing in much better talent across the board. O line and D line are yet to be determined

6. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2014
    We seriously need to stop using the youth excuse. You don't have consistent mistakes over 2 years in all facets of the game and blame it on players. It's freaking coaching. This staff compared to the programs we want to compete with is lacking in SEC experience. Until that changes expect more of the same.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. phideltdj

phideltdj GC Hall of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    Recruiting is critical and so far seems to be something Billy excels at, but it doesn't mean it will translate into wins if your coaching skills are not there. All it means is that you would make an amazing recruiting coordinator but maybe not a head coach if you can't win with the players you recruited.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    People disagree and then can't back up their disagreement with any facts.

Non qualifiers, head cases, non to little contributors, eventual transfers etc from Mullen's classes:

2018)
    Jahari Roger's
    Fraziars
    Pouncey
    Braun
    McDaniel
    Wilcoxson
    R. Torrence
    Isaiah walker
    Jalen Lee
    Goods
    Fenley Graham
    Mincey

Guys that played significant minutes but transferred or just filled positions include Henderson, helm, Odom, APR, crawshaw. Wingo, AR, Leonard and Princeley were in that class. Devastating number of attrition and non performers.

2019)
    Steele
    Jalon Jones
    Harrod
    Marks
    Simonds
    Weston
    Pierre
    Whittemore
    Humphries
    Summerall
    Black NQ
    W. Wilson...visa issue
    Arjei Henderson...no chance at making grades yet we took him even though he never even visited....
    Deyvie Hammond.

Not going to go in detail with the rest. Again, staggering number of issues even before the class set foot on campus. Hopper, diabate, Wright etc were good players but not nearly enough to make up for 2 classes of attrition and issues. I didn't go in detail with every transfer since some left with the coaching change because of the change.

2018)
    Banks
    Langham
    Clement
    Russell (medical, sad situation)
    Huggins- bad stuff
    Watkins-bad stuff
    Bleich
    Mcdowell
    Krull
    Copeland

2 of those classes were ranked top 10 ish. They were never top 10 once non qualifiers were taken into account let alone in hindsight...

One of the things he has gotten right is recruiting although a lack of results will eventually hurt that if it hasn't already.

• Like Like x 1
  9. gatorwalrus

Sep 24, 2022
    Mullen sucked at recruiting, I and most posters with any ability to see past the surface of 247 numbers know this. I, not necessarily others, am just saying we can't crown the Napier recruits until they do something worth being crowned for.

10. gatorwalrus

Sep 24, 2022
    It's this years "AR has only started X games" sooner or later the X is high enough that the statement becomes asinine.

11. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2014
    Next year it will be new youth and the schedule.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. traubgator

traubgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    exactly new youth and probably the hardest schedule in the country.
    And another season for teams to break down Napier's offense and his reliance on analytics which in the long term becomes predictable.
    The opposition will learn pretty quickly that 2nd and long, we run the ball up the middle etc.

• Agree Agree x 1