Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Billy addresses Kentucky rumors. Kinda

Discussion in 'Nuttin but Net' started by akaGatorhoops, Apr 10, 2024.

1. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Repeat after me, Patrick Patterson............sigh...............

2. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Didn't Roy Williams say that he would never leave Kansas, loyalty to his players, yadda yadda yadda? And then take the UNC job?

Oh, wait. Roy Williams has no integrity.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    One that made no sense for UK was taking Stacy Poole's son that BD recruited other than to keep him from playing for the Gators.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Well sure but this implies uninhibited allegence to UF. In these days and times, with 10 million dollar a year salaries available out of KY, and unlimited resources to boot, he would be foolish to say anything other than what he did. (IMO) Besides he has history there to when he was an assistant under Pitino.

Now I sure as heck don't want Billy to go to KY. Don't get me wrong. I think he should virtue signal UF and come back home where he belongs. It would take me less than one second to offer TG his buyout check and the thanks of Gator Nation, ............with a request to hurry up and get packed. Again, just my opinion.

5. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Billy could quit coaching altogether and live the good life like Jay Wright, just being the TV guy. No pressure, just fat paychecks.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    BD is a NY guy, but Chicago is a pretty cool place to be if you have money. Better than OKC but not as cool as NYC but with more of a NYC vibe than LA. And a very Catholic place and he takes his religion seriously.

I don't see him leaving for UK.

• Like Like x 1
  7. bike1014

bike1014 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2010

Ah, yes, we've actually (friendly) debated this before - years ago.

You want him to say things to satisfy you.

He doesn't know if he'll have interest in the job in 5 years. Or 10. Who knows where life will be at at that point. Chicago might not want him around past this season. He might want to come back to Florida at some point....and Florida makes him interview for the job (sound familiar?), at which time he says screw this and coaches wherever the heck he wants.

Anyways, he doesn't owe me that quote that you wrote....He gave to us as much as we gave to him. Just want the guy to coach where he is happy, and enjoy his life....even if that's in the conference. That's how I treat people I am appreciative towards...

• Like Like x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  8. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    He has done a phenomenal job given the adversity his team faced this season. It would be the Bulls loss if he is let go.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    I don’t recall that debate.

Anyway- yes, my answer revolves around what I want to hear bc your question specifically asked what I want….

“Geez, how much more firm of an answer do you want?”

Last edited: Apr 11, 2024
    • Funny Funny x 2
  10. bike1014

bike1014 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2010
    Ah, yes, that's the AKA I've grown to, um, "love" around here....bringing it back to a technicality even though his OP was REALLY the topic at hand. : )

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    lol! thanks… I think!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    Kidding aside… I wasn’t looking for technicality. If anything, you changed the direction of the discussion.
    i made claim that Donovan’s statement was not strong/definitive.. an opinion validated when rumors surged following his press conference, as opposed being squashed.

Your initial reply was on topic… rhetorically asking “how much more firm of an answer do you want?”. This suggested you felt differently about the strength of his statements.

As per your question, I provided language I would like to hear… language I would think strong enough to end speculation.

At that point… you changed the discussion to whether or not Donovan “owes” such statement; or if his future interests should be bound by a sort of loyalty to Florida. That is a different discussion. . . and one I would likely agree with you on.

13. hawaiigator

hawaiigator GC Legend

Sep 9, 2018
    I live in NYC. Aside from being in awe of the skyscrapers, this place is 99% a shithole. I walk out side and it’s full trash bags blowing across the street like it’s tumbleweeds.

14. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    i visited last year for the Sweet 16/Elite 8 rounds.
    I was sad to see the city has regressed back to its current filth. I once had a bit of a resurgence.

15. bike1014

bike1014 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2010

More technicalities! :)

rumors surging in the media hardly validate ANYTHING these days. But we continue to digress…. lol….damn, you did it again!

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007

Ok- but is your position that his statements were firm/definitive, or that he does not owe me, UF or anyone else firm/definitive statements?

17. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I haven't been in a while.

Brooklynn getting all hipster was just after the last time I was there. My SIL had a condo on Park Slope that she sold for an ungodly amount of money.

18. bike1014

bike1014 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2010
    it was firm enough by my standards.And those standards are based on my opinion that he doesn’t owe us (and especially not the media) a thing.

The media created rumors because his answer didn’t satisfy THEIR standards of what he “should” have said.

But I feel he said more than enough. And I deeply appreciate his genuineness in how he said it, especially knowing the media would run with it.

19. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    Fair enough.

i don’t think we are too far apart.

But the response to his statements isn’t limited to the media. Many fans and observers read into what he said and didn’t say. It seems the general opinion is he “left the door open” and, perhaps unwittingly, fueled further speciation. And that was my assessment.

Does he have the right to do that? Of course.

is he obligated to slam the door out of some loyalty to Florida, or fans like me? Nope.

Do I wish he would? Yup!
    In fact- I hereby authorize his usage of my prepared statement.

:)

20. bike1014

bike1014 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2010
    Now we’re talking!

• Funny Funny x 1