Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Biden Lets China Threaten The Greenback's Status As The World's Reserve Currency

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gatorplank, Mar 31, 2023.

1. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    So what do you think will happen and when will it happen?

You have countries like the UK and Japan that have as much debt or more (vs gdp) and have comparable or lower interest rates. Uk has had comparable trade deficit.

I don’t see any logic that when other countries start trading in other currencies vs the dollar that it will have a significant impact.

2. gatorplank

gatorplank GC Hall of Fame

Apr 25, 2011
    I read Too Hot. There is a lot of stuff here that disagrees with what I believe. I also don't watch Fox or the MSM. I mainly get my news from Bing, Google, and Too Hot right now. That is my sources, and all of them typically slant left.

3. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Any idea when the little rabbi is coming back down to Earth?

4. gatorplank

Apr 25, 2011
    He's not little, and His return is imminent. I don't know the timeframe, but it is imminent.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. slocala

slocala VIP Member

Jan 11, 2009
  6. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Christ was an effeminate? That's the first time I've ever heard that.

7. gatorplank

Apr 25, 2011
    He's not saying Christ was effeminate. He's saying people in our culture and our generation portray Christ as effeminate and that this is wrong. They won't come out and say it in those words, but there is no wrath...no justice for sin...all romantic emotional love geared towards making people feel good about themselves...as opposed to the self-sacrificial, suffering servant love that Christ really displayed.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    I’m not sure on the when. I suspect that what will happen is that when the value of the dollar drops due to lower demand on the world currency markets, we will not the levels of recovery that we have historically seen after a drop.

Demand for $ on the world market keeps the dollar strong. Lower demand plus dumbass domestic fiscal policies are not a good combination. As with most things of this nature, at a minimum we can expect higher inflation. As the last three years have clearly shown, we are far too heavily dependent in many strategic areas on imports. If China can get to a level where they can inflict pain, they will. They have clearly shown that they are willing and able to do so when the pain is not reciprocated to them.

In the end, we are in uncharted waters here. There is little to no historical data to model on. In the absence of data, it is always better to use common sense. Keeping the dollar as strong as possible and as the world’s reserve currency makes very good common sense.

• Like Like x 1
  9. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    Also, UK and Japan are not good examples to compare to. Maybe Japan of the 80’s but not for the last 25 years or so.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  10. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    He was persecuted from day one... happens a lot these days too.

Intolerance, feigned indignation along with logical fallacy... That is how they talk to non-likeminded people.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2023
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    I understand the theory, but the evidence says otherwise. I know you are allergic to Krugman, but he lays out some pretty compelling facts to show that the impact is not nearly what is predicted by the doomsdayers. When the world went from the pound to the dollar there was a giant collapse of inflation in the UK.

Intuitively I don’t see how Saudi and China using some other currency to buy and sell oil other than the dollar makes a difference to us.

12. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    Yuan tops euro as Brazil's second currency in foreign reserves

Until 2018, the yuan was absent from Brazil’s foreign reserves and now accounts for 5.37% of Brazilian central bank holdings at the end of 2022, surpassing the euro’s 4.74% share.

The U.S. dollar continues to dominate, comprising 80.42% of Brazil’s total foreign reserves in 2022.

Earlier this year, China and Brazil moved to reduce the dominance of the dollar by signing an agreement on setting up yuan clearing house arrangements that would facilitate bilateral trade and investment.

——
    can’t undersell how important this is. It’s small right now. But it can’t be ignored. You can’t blame Biden though. This economic war is happening whether he is here or not. And this just reemphasizes how important it is for the west to “win” in Ukraine.

13. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    The fact that or national debit is approaching 30 trillion dollars has nothing to do with us losing our status right?

14. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    Yes

15. slocala

slocala VIP Member

Jan 11, 2009
    A currency not pegged to gold is only as good as the army behind the government. I’ll take my chances with the US.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    I’m not saying it will happen any time soon as most of the world still trusts the US to pay its bills and be stable (or more stable than anywhere else).
    Like I said up thread China messes with its currency too much and does what’s fully best in the interest of the party for the world really trust them at this point.

17. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    Had to stop mid post but the reason winning the war matters is perception. The west has asked the world to sacrifice a lot and that has given China to pick a side and try to exert influence. If Russia wins the China block wins too. If Ukraine wins it solidifies western hegemony which means the dollar will remain king - as long as republicans in congress don’t do anything stupid. Which is optimistic.

18. slocala

slocala VIP Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Putin is 70
    Zelenskyy is 45

19. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    [​IMG]

One of the arguments is that being reserve currency allows us to run trade deficit. However UK and Australia run comparable trade deficits.

20. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    If the US ever loses its status its gonna be to the Euro. If you think it's gonna be to the yuan you probably don't follow this closely.

• Agree Agree x 1