Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Biden Dividing Again…What a nasty speech

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Orange_and_Bluke, Nov 3, 2022.

1. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Speaking only for myself I have criticized Republican presidential candidates including past presidents based on policy issues and may very well do so in the future. Trump is qualitatively different than any of his predecessors although sadly that may not be the case for other current as well future Republicans. Trump has done his best to undermine the norms of what makes the US a Constitutional Republic based on representing the interests of the majority of the people. He has tried fortunately unsuccessfully at least so far to undermine the principle of a peaceful transition of power supported by every other president from George Washington onward and every defeated incumbent president from John Adams onward. Trump's influence over the party is now so pervasive that a significant percentage of Republican candidates are supporting measures that would ensure their preferred results in elections regardless of the vote.

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  2. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    I'm not saying I will love future GOP leaders and that I wasn't upset with Bush. I was. I might even hate future GOP presidents. But Trump was a legit troll. He did something that deeply offended me almost daily while he was in office, and often times he did it for that specific purpose. To upset his detractors - because it made his supporters happy. I could even see a politician trying to do it - being trump like. But I am still absolutely certain nobody with his perfect confluence of toxic personality traits will ever step foot in the oval office again (unless its Trump again).

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. Orange_and_Bluke

Orange_and_Bluke Premium Member

Dec 16, 2015
    Not so much. I thought Biden was supposed to be the great uniter. This was a crap speech, pandering to his base. No talk about real issues, inflation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Gtrgr8 asked, “so you condemn leaders that stir the anger pot? Trump, DeSantis, Rubio, Cruz, et al

You answered you condemn Trump. But you left out the other MAGAs listed who routinely engage in politics-by-anger, stirring the pot.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2022
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  5. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    Bush had to fade away, because he was so miserably unpopular. There are lots of polls giving Trump a slim lead over Biden in the 2024 race. Trump actually stands a decent chance of being president again. So, expecting him to fade away now is ridiculous. And frankly, if Bush did lie about WMD and resulted in the deaths of thousands of American soldiers, that is way worse than anything Trump ever did.

6. Orange_and_Bluke

Dec 16, 2015
    I said it plainly. One more time. The president should be held to a higher standard. I’m not concerned about the other guys so much.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  7. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    The graph ends in 2021. 2022 may set a record, but look over several year periods, and use a rolling chart, then what we are seeing isn't unprecedented. We're seeing a surge because COVID slowed down the flow of immigrations that would have likely come in 2020 and 2021 that decided to wait.

But even if you just want to focus on border crossings during Biden, it's not like Trump was successful stopping undocumented immigration. Just read this from the libertarian CATO Institute.

8. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    you can deny the existence of gravity and the curvature of the earth too but I would hope the majority of people would recognize you as an idiot if you did. same for claims of election fraud, idiotic with no basis in reality

• Agree Agree x 5
  9. buckeyegator

buckeyegator Premium Member

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    from your graph the highest figure under trump was a shade over 800,000, on pace to triple that this year, so yeah, trump was unsuccesfull, what does that make biden?

10. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    As successful as Reagan or W. Bush, who saw apprehension trends as high as Biden. If we looked at Border Patrol number of agents and budget, we'd see Reagan was equally as "successful" as Biden with about 1/4 the number of agents and budget. Makes one question is the big government answer of billions spent on a wall, and billions spent on increasing the number of agents is the right answer? Here's a hint, its not. The answer is what two bi-partisan committees came up in 2007 and 2013, which is an expanded guest worker program with an eventual pathway to citizenship.

But if you've seen any political ads from Arizona Rs, the other central theme they have besides election denialism is brown people are bad.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Potzer01

Potzer01 GC Hall of Fame

Mar 26, 2008
    Orlando.... Again
    I think that giving a speech purely with the intent of encouraging voters, should focus on what your side has succeeded in. If your talking points are "we are better than the other guys" I don't think that proves anything, besides being cut from the same cloth as the other guy.

Its unfortunate that we can't just trust in "let voters make the right choices." We're a republic though, which means that we're going to elect some nut bags every cycle. I don't know how to fix the us and them dichotomy. Its not by pointing the finger at "them" and saying look how bad they are though. That will only perpetuate the divide.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    LOL!!!

Keep thinking this is about 2020. This is about the dems and their disastrous last two years. Your covid policy has far more to do with why AZ is going to go strong red these midterms. But the main thing is the kids (covid relate)/inflation/border (especially AZ)/energy.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  13. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Legend

Nov 3, 2013

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. flgator2

flgator2 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville
    It was really meant for a very special poster that's in love with Trump, that's how I blame people. If it makes you feel better, I can include you also

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 5
  16. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    You seem really angry.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    I thought about it, and after great rumination, I have concluded that it does NOT make me feel better. So, no need to include me. But, many thanks!!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2022
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Orange_and_Bluke

Dec 16, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  19. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I think it’s perfectly fine for a speech to be both. Since when is it bad to point out the ways your opponent will hurt the country? Isn’t that the whole point of debate, to differentiate?

And if I thought Biden was anything like Trump he wouldn’t have gotten my vote. There is not an equivalence there. Have you forgotten Trump’s speeches and actions?

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  20. Potzer01

Potzer01 GC Hall of Fame

Mar 26, 2008
    Orlando.... Again
    Fair enough.

I'm stuck right now at, "Its not good enough"

• Like Like x 1