Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Biden announces plan to cut down on ‘junk fees’

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by WarDamnGator, Oct 31, 2022.

1. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Airbnb bookings are more likely down due to Expedia buying Vrbo and HomeAway a while back and merging them into one solid competitor for Airbnb...and flooding the market with Expedia advertising dollars.

We use both for our listings, but its like 90% airbnb still.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    That’s part of the agreement you make with someone when you offer to rent their house. If you don’t like it, don’t agree to it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    The point of AirBNB is not to help you find your cheapest hotel option.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    For the most part, it appears the people staying there were not aware of this when they signed up ... Like the list of chores, or the AC charges, or the tiolet paper replacement policy, was texted to them on check out day, or posted on the wall ...

5. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    I'm not asking for the cheapest hotel, I'm asking for honesty in pricing. Why is that hard for you to understand?

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Consumers? The govts job should not be to regulate free markets unless people's rights are being violated.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    You just knew there'd be people defending this sort of price gouging under the "dont like it, dont pay it" mantra. The American economy is nothing without extracting pointless fees & rents from people, that's pretty much the basis of the economy now that we dont make anything.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  8. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    I think a big govt department that checks my lawn care company's invoice for a 4% administrative fee is far superior.

Also coincidentally, Clay County just charged my company a $125.00 annual administrative fee. Biden needs to look into that for sure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. danmanne65

danmanne65 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    When you are quoted the price they don’t include fees like cleaning and such. When you show up the nonsense fees are added your choice is check in or cancel and pay a late cancellation fee.

10. tilly

Cancellation is set by the home owner. Ours is free ....no limits at all.

Cleaning fees are up front in the listing.
    Taxes are up front in the listing.

Here is a screenshot from the Airbnb app with just one click of the reserve button:
    (This is not my property but is one in our area)
    Screenshot_20221031-142750-667.png

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. danmanne65

danmanne65 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    This is an example of a nonsense fee

Attached Files:

12. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    Yeah ... google "public user fee" ... there are quite a few shopping centers in Florida charging a fee to people who shop on in the stores on their property, and adding it on to your receipt like it's a tax ...

Here is an example ... local news asked what extra the 0.5% "tax" that appeared on their receipt was. It's not really a tax, it goes to the store's landlord ...

Our landlord at the Cypress Creek Town Center, Hutton, imposes a Public User Fee (PUF) of 0.5% on all transactions subject to Florida sales tax. According to the terms of the lease, our store in Cypress Creek Town Center, along with a number of other retailers, is subject to the PUF. HomeGoods does not keep funds collected by the PUF. If you have additional questions about the PUF, we encourage you to contact the Cypress Creek Town Center landlord, Hutton.

8 On Your Side reached out to Hutton.

Hutton’s director of communications, Elle Welch, said the fee “provides an additional source of funding for the development and maintenance of the shopping center” and that without it, Hutton “wouldn’t have been able to deliver the project and its amenities to the community.”

https://www.wfla.com/news/pasco-cou...unty-shopping-center-comes-with-an-extra-tax/

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    True dat.

My niece rented (by coincidence) a place in Naples for a week last month. Hurricane hits the week before. When she canceled airbnb refunded the cost of the rental, but retained their own fees. Even though the area was a mess.

14. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    What was it before the merger? If there hasn't been a change, it doesn't seem like that is the reason...at least not evidence that it is.

15. tilly

The purchase was in 2016. The conversion to the Vrbo brand name exclusively happened 3 years ago.

I didnt have a listing back then.

Is airbnb down as a whole or just more saturated? (No idea.)I also know that shutting down operations in China had to hurt qty of bookings.

I just know that their pricing is crystal clear from the very first click as per my screenshot above

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    How much more honest can you get when they’re giving you the full total with tax before you pay for it? You’re just making it up as you go along. If a host is falsely advertising, their star rating is going to go to shit. It’s not the government’s job to shop for you.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    If true, the host will get lit up in their ratings and they won’t be an AirBNB host much longer. Bad businesses will go out of business.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. G8tas

G8tas GC Hall of Fame

Sep 22, 2008
    Any bill or idea that Biden introduces in the next two years will be DOA regardless of its potential

• Like Like x 1
  19. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    yes, the cleaning fees are killer if you are not staying long

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    do you have fuel or dumping fee surcharges?