Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Betting on Alabama Baseball Games Halted

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by ursidman, May 2, 2023.

1. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    Agreed,, its same thing Rose did when betting on self to win.. Still frowned upon apparentlly..lol

Thats what I was trying t say ,,if Bo is just a gambler while also being a HC, then taking the smart bet against his team, doesnt mean hes trying to lose the game. Like w/ a lot of my wagers, its a win-win bet..lol

But if he changed Ps just to accomadate the bet, as appears he may of done, thats obviously a problem.. And the part I dont understand. He doesnt have a P that would of made a bit of difference vs Skenes. Think I saw if it was a 10Kbet(no idea yet) the odds difference on profit was only like 200-300 bux... Seems silly IMO.

2. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    This thread sponsered by GA.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    took me a second,, first thought was what does a Grad Asst. have to do w/ anything.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. iowagator

iowagator VIP Member

And now Iowa State joins the fray:

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    ^ at least Iowa st doesntt have a baseball team thats involved..lol

6. iowagator

iowagator VIP Member

Maybe with UT and OU leaving the 12 they will bring it back!

• Like Like x 1
  7. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Pete Rose always bet on his team to win. And by doing so he could pull out all the stops and maybe deplete a bullpen to win that one game.

How does that set up his bullpen for the next few games?

Is that cheating?

8. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    Not for that game , no IMo. but thats why even betting on yourself is a no-no. Insider info if nothing else.

What if he bet every game to win??

I still think he was just betting bc liked to bet. and managed no differently ,, but tough to prove that,, and i guess irrelevant under rules anyways.

I saw the nba ref docu few months ago.. I dont think he was officiating any different, and graded out near top of league.. But gave insider info and profited. so went to jail.

Didnt Bama have a comeback going late in that game? Wonder how Bohanon was feeling in middle of that..lol

Last edited: May 9, 2023
  9. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Hypothetically speaking, it could be. If he was only betting on his team to win division games, that could represent a competitive advantage that's not above board. It's definitely unethical, though.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

10. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    No problem with that from a competition standpoint. Might be an issue with number of pitches thrown for pitchers in the last year of their contract (for example). I think there will always be a hypothetical nuance that someone could point to which would impact the integrity of the game.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. iowagator

iowagator VIP Member

Here is an article that has some interesting info about penalties for athletes:

Sports-betting amounts key in Iowa, ISU athlete reinstatement

It is paywalled but you get a certain number of articles.

The interesting part:

No. 3: For all other cases violating NCAA bylaw 10.3.
    That means “knowingly participating in sports wagering activities or providing information to individuals” for the purposes of gambling. Examples are participating in an NCAA Tournament pool or a fantasy football league with prize money.

There are several tiers of potential reinstatement that are notable in this case:

• Wagering or risking $25 or less: No withholding penalty of eligibility.
    • More than $25 up to $100: Loss of 10% of a season.
    • More than $100 up to $300: Loss of 30% of a season.
    • More than $300 up to $500: Loss of 50% of a season. (This would align with the Virginia Tech linebacker penalty.)
    • More than $500: Sit a season/charge-a-season penalties are recommended, with the possibility of permanent loss of eligibility.
    The reinstatement rules in all categories also outline that any gambling profits received must be repaid to restore eligibility (also consistent with the Virginia Tech precedent).

• Informative Informative x 1