Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Bateman to A&M

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gainesvillegreen44, Dec 21, 2023.

1. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    As an old backer coach, if only you were a few decades younger hey wing. :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Tolbert1906

Tolbert1906 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    United States
    I'm sure Florida will sign a new LB coach at the same lightning speed in which they found a DL coach. Rest assured, we will have a new LB coach before the first game of the season.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    With their replacements on our staff, the probably won't have us scouted much at all. But we shouldn't let them know that. We should use all of the same defensive signals, but they mean the exact opposite.

That will put the whammy jammy on those agricultural mechanicals.

But...the leak by A & M of the Bateman hire seems deliberate to me, so things do not seem right.

• Agree Agree x 6
  4. LTG61

LTG61 GC Legend

Apr 10, 2007
    Which year?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Legend

Apr 23, 2014
    So Bateman negotiated a contract with a&m this morning? Bs. Or he negotiated a contract with BN knowing nothing and executed it the morning of this leak? Does Bateman think so little of BN that he gave him no heads up or it happened in 2 hours? Not how multimillion dollar contracts happen or BN was, again, caught flat footed.

Regardless, EG is a Gator great. Ignoring his concerns is willful ignorance. Again, I want BN to succeed. However, like special teams this year, you gotta handle everything if your claim is “I am building a culture of accountability.”

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  6. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Legend

Apr 23, 2014
    Shane, like several players and some big donors, is complaining about our program. Not necessarily Napier - the ufaa is an old boys network that needs house cleaning.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    I'm much more concerned that Bates burned Napier than the idea that Napier didn't communicate the change to his prize defensive recruit and family as I don't think the second scenario is likely. So yes, there is concern but there are better ways to address it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    ATM offered Bateman 2 weeks ago he turned them down and let everyone know. They called yesterday morning and offered more. He accepted. They announced. People surprised. Parent overreacted. Adults go back to work.

• Informative x 5
    • Like x 3
    • Winner x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that x 1
  9. Claygator

Apr 11, 2007
    Bateman didn't "negotiate" the contract in one day. He probably didn't "negotiate" anything other than his salary and other financials, such as a buyout, and that was probably over the phone. Assistant coaches don't hire a team of lawyers, and jet back and forth with their new school to negotiate a contract before they accept. Their asses would get fired so fast. He probably got a verbal offer, email, or text with the $$ and contract details to be worked out later. Do you think these dumbass assistant football coaches are that sophisticated?

Napier cut loose the coaches he didn't want before signing day, and fully disclosed everything and was transparent. Why would he hide this separation? Bateman blind sided him, and the farm boys sleazed it up with a premature disclosure to the press. Probably to steal a recruit or two. The Aggies are the FSU of Texas, in case you didn't know.

You are an insufferable neg head. We should hold you "accountable" for your posts.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  10. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Really starting to hate these Texas schools

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  11. Claygator

Apr 11, 2007
    Go clean it up, big boy. Have at it. Best bring your checkbook with you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Legend

Apr 23, 2014
    I am not concerned with who is not here, only who is here (you really care that Bateman walked?). Maybe Bateman did turn in 2 hours and sign a contract. AND Napier should immediately reach out to his recruits/players. That did not happen. That is a failure by the program.

In the abstract, this is a non issue. We are being told to “trust the process of doing the little things right despite two losing seasons”. I can buy that… if you do the little things right.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  13. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    I would believe he used Colonel klink’s words and phrase, “I see nothing”.

14. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    I care that he walked if he gave no notice as it could be indicative of larger issues. I am not a sunshine pumper and while I support our current staff and program I have my concerns. I just don't see the health in piling on the program since we have more than enough detractors between our numerous enemies which are now growing in numbers with the expansion of the SEC. We are our own worst enemies.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    He got a DC position paying $1.5 million for Elko who is a defensive minded coach. He was our LB coach working for a 35 year old wet behind ears DC. Bateman was a DC that was highly regarded at Army and then was hired by Mack Brown as DC at UNC. Did not work out at UNC and fired. Unemployed when Billy hired as LB coach. Seemed like a logical move, especially if you think Billy will be fired after another losing season next year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Legend

Apr 23, 2014
    This is not about “enemies.” Our failures over the last decade were not externally created. I agree that many Gator fans are negative and cling to notions of preeminence that are recency bias. That does not explain two losing seasons and serious evidence of systemic issues. I can be both a fan and a realist in assessing our current status. In that vein, I desperately want BN to succeed to avoid more tumult, and I see that him succeeding demands recognition of the current failures and significant change.

17. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    lol , yeah only ! Why can’t our backers stay disciplined and execute the run fits . Especially the back side of a run . We go hauling ass trying to chase and vacate a hole that we created

18. atlmover

atlmover All American

Feb 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    The "dumbass" assistant coaches make on average 10 to 15x the average salary in the US. Stupid is as stupid does.

19. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Legend

Apr 23, 2014
    The dumbass is not the person making bank but the people who CHOOSE to pay them absurd salaries with buyouts and no performance clauses. Hard to find jobs in the real world where you can openly fail and get paid to do nothing for years after being fired.

I don’t blame coaches/players or even ADs (unless they actually could negotiate performance clauses). Fans ultimately pay for this crap thru high monthly cable bills built on sports and higher product costs paid to advertisers. Until we care less monetarily, the dumbasses are in the mirror.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    Were you there, or did Billy tell you that?? What a ridiculous statement! Did Billy blindside the 2 coaches he cut loose 2 weeks ago? fwiw, Bateman was on a expiring contract. Was a new contract presented to him by UF yet? He got the offer of his career from aTm, to be a DC for far more $$$$. Who knows when or how that came in, it’s irrelevant. By all accounts he’s a solid guy, Billy really likes him and his work, he’s said such. I don’t believe for a second Bateman did anything nefarious here to screw over UF, Billy or recruits. I can’t speak for aTm. When the season is over, assistant coaches move around, timing is not always ideal. Because there’s now an early signing day in Dec it makes that even more tricky.

• Agree Agree x 2