Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Baseball vs. USF, Wed 2/22, 6:00 pm

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by Gatorgal04, Feb 21, 2023.

1. jdgator

jdgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Another one we haven't seen is Nesbit.
    Not trying to dump on Lasteras, however even his throws back to the pitcher were off. Ask any pitcher and the thing that drives them nuts the most is having a catcher who can't throw it back to you consistently.

2. crescent_beach

crescent_beach GC Legend

Sep 25, 2016
    I keep looking at our roster and can’t find anyone named Lasteres or Lasteras. Also couldn’t find someone by those names ranked really high by recruiting services in high school. Weird.

3. jdgator

jdgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Lastres
    Understanding he has loads of potential, however last night was rough for him. I'm sure he will be a stud.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. fat_gator

fat_gator Junior

Sep 7, 2021
    Seemed to me leaving BT out of line up was a mistake. Granted we had the opportunity to win without him. I also don't think we will see Lastres for awhile.
    5 games Robertson has yet to lead off game and get on base, Move Langford back to lead off with Cags 2hole and we will see results like last years Langford/ Thompson.

5. bigDgator

bigDgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I waited to post just so I wouldn't be aggravated, but it didn't work. No championship team would ever let this happen in the 9th inning by a team that went into the game with a .215 batting average. I hope I am wrong, but it is way too early in the season for this kind of complacency. We should be pouring it on in the later innings, not collapsing. Gave up 2 home runs, a triple, committed an error in the field, a wild pitch, a passed ball and 2 walks.
    This is like screwing up for the cycle.

SOUTH FLORIDA - TOP OF 9TH
    BRUTCHER, D. homered to right field, RBI (0-0).
    BOSER, B. reached on an error by rf, advanced to third.
    BRODIL, M. walked (3-1).
    Jameson to p for Purnell.
    SANKOVICH, T struck out swinging (0-2).
    RIVERA, N. singled to center field, RBI (1-0); BRODIL, M. advanced to third; BOSER, B. scored, unearned.
    MAYO, J. homered to right field, 3 RBI; RIVERA, N. scored; BRODIL, M. scored.
    SNOW, E. walked (3-2).
    Ursitti to p for Jameson.
    RUIZ, P. pinch hit for ROSE, M..
    RUIZ, P. flied out to cf to right center (2-0).
    SNOW, E. advanced to second on a wild pitch.
    CANTU, D. tripled to right center, RBI (2-2); SNOW, E. scored, unearned.
    CANTU, D. scored on a passed ball, unearned.
    BRUTCHER, D. struck out swinging (2-2).

6. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Baseball is not like football where every game is crucial. Early in the season the coach has to see which guys can be counted on and he plays a bunch of guys to see if their performance in fall and pre-season camps translate to regular season. This was not just a pitching failure, as the defense made 3 errors and our catcher, who is supposed to be our best defensive catcher out of the 4 on the roster, had a bad night as well. In the scheme of a 60+ game schedule this game, while a bad loss, is really not that big of a deal. They just flush it and move on to the 3-game series with Cincinnati coming to town.

• Agree Agree x 6
  7. gator1977

gator1977 GC Legend

Apr 15, 2019
    Lastres had a bad night behind the plate -- it may be first game jitters-- but if you were watching the game, he repeatedly was pointing to his left ear piece and stopped play several times because he was not hearing the signals from dugout. He was crossed up on a few pitches and I believe the PB as well.
    From what I watched in Spring scrimmages he is a very fine defensive catcher so one bad night does not diminish his standing in my view. He missed Fall practices recovering from TJ but seemed to played very well in Spring.
    Simply a sloppy game all-around- as I witnessed once in scrimmages. Josh error on what should have ended the 2nd inning- forcing Tejeda to throw 8-9 additional pitches and then he missed a tag on a play at second where the throw had the runner beat and then Evans error in 9th that contributed to opening the flood gates and then the surprising blow-up by the Pen...
    Just a bad night-- flush it and get ready for Cincinnati.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Again, with 2 outs it doesn't matter if it could be caught

9. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    As I mentioned, I was following online and had the statistics. I asked for a description of the play on the Langford double...Matside was kind enough to provide that color in his post

10. jdgator

jdgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Curious on which games you have been watching re Robertson? I think he's been outstanding. He will be our lead off hitter for the next two years unless he forgets how to get on base and or loses his speed.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  11. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I get the frustration and your comment mostly speaks to the 9th inning, especially after the easy win on Tuesday and the 8-3 lead going into the 9th. I am reminded of the 2017 season when we had non conference losses to Jacksonville 2-3, UCF 2-11, Fla Gulf Coast 3-7, Fla Gulf Coast 2-3, Seton Hall 2-3, and USF 10-15. The UCF game was a stinker because we had 3 errors and both Michael Byrne and Tyler Dyson pitching in that game. The USF game was compelling because it was late in the year and we lost to them right smack dab in the middle of a 13 game winning streak. I'm not suggesting any of these were collapses like the game last night but baseball teams evolve of time. We have been saying the same over the last 4 years and have little to show for it. I do feel this year is different, not because I'm wearing Orange and Blue stained glasses, but by what I've seen in practice. This was our 5th game in what's part of a 5 game week. We only have two more weeks with 5 games during the regular season. These games are all about getting ready for the Miami weekend and then preparing for the SEC schedule. I choose to focus more on the weekend games and who we have to build on with those games on Tuesday.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I could be wrong, but I believe he was already on the move; when he saw there was not going to be a throw to second, he slowed up as he cautiously rounded 2nd and turned to see where the ball was falling. He then booked it to third.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. fat_gator

fat_gator Junior

Sep 7, 2021
    0 for 5 getting on base in First INN the last 5 games, Langford was 4 for 5 in his first 5 games at leadoff in the first inngs. put em in 9 hole

Last edited: Feb 23, 2023
  14. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    Now Lazarus made a Hell of A Comeback a few years back!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    It did look liike our catcher got crossed up more than once.

Maybe test his hearing with ear buds.

16. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    100% spot on.

17. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Yep, mentioned Nesbitt and Finvold gonna have to contribute for us to get where we need to go.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  18. gatorstevelp

gatorstevelp Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I’m not watching the games but isn’t he relaying the signal to the pitcher once he gets it from the dugout?

19. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Couldn’t have said it better.
    6 hits
    5 BB
    .458 On base Pct.
    7 runs scored and very solid D.
    Anybody watching, listening, or following had to know we really struggled pitching late in game.

• Like Like x 1
  20. gatorstevelp

gatorstevelp Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    One has an OB% of .458 and the other one is .400. Any idea which one is which?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1