Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Baseball vs OU, Monday 6/6, 1:00 pm

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by Gatorgal04, Jun 5, 2022.

1. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    Been to Zellie’s a few times. Not sure if it is still there. The bar on 441 and the corner of the road that heads to Lake Jem. If my memory is right anyway. Been nearly 20 years.

• Like Like x 1
  2. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I used to listen to White Sox Friday night away games at the Angles whilst kind of sleeping before getting up early to work at a tubing mill as a steel worker for a 6 AM shift.

I don't care about MLB that much anymore.

3. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Any idea when we start again?

4. bigDgator

bigDgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    [​IMG]

I guess it doesn't get cold in February in Baton Rouge, so they can have more shade.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. bayou_gator

bayou_gator Sophomore

Sep 8, 2013
    Among the savages
    Current lightning from Waldo to Williston.

6. bayou_gator

bayou_gator Sophomore

Sep 8, 2013
    Among the savages
    Seven outs left. Where’s Byrne?

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. KendallGator922

KendallGator922 GC Legend

Mar 27, 2015
    Sparks flying in Micanopy?

8. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    One of my great cycling bros was a frat guy from that era and went there a lot.

He died a few years ago from brain cancer.

There was the college prof that was killed that I won't say much more about.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I would settle for Anderson.

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  10. bayou_gator

bayou_gator Sophomore

Sep 8, 2013
    Among the savages
    Sparks in Starke. Lightning too.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. BottledwaterGator

BottledwaterGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Bazza, I spent many summers with my cousins at their home on Lake Jem back in the 1970's. Good times!

• Like Like x 1
  12. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    Now that I’m back home, I get to as many games as I can. That’s all I can do. Not everyone enjoys spending their weekends sitting in a hot ass stadium though, and there ain’t much anyone can do about that.

I will say that if even half of the noisiest complainers about attendance actually attended the games, we’d be #1 in the country. Top 15 in the country, and I would not be surprised if we moved into the top 10 this year or next, really isn’t that bad. People bitching and moaning and doing nothing to help are a way bigger problem than our actual numbers.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Gatorgal04

Gatorgal04 Lowly Fan Moderator

Apr 3, 2007
    Titletown, FL
    Finally started to rain here. Storms from the west should go through by 7 or so. I’m sticking with my 8:00 re-start prediction.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Been 44 years since I lived in that area and I know a lot of land has been converted from agriculture to housing so who knows.

The road you mentioned was the one I traveled every day to work and back. Then I had a second job in the evenings at the Mount Dora Cumberland Farms Store as a clerk.

Those were the freaking glory days....;)

15. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Cool! I was there from '77 to '79 - living in the back half of a big house on the lake owned by a really sweet lady from Henderson, Kentucky.

My first grower gig was as the grower for Pearce Nurseries - a 'mom and pop' place in Lake Jem. Then I got a better job working in Apopka with 5 growers under me.

I'll never forget Mr Pearce though and his corn patch. Talk about fresh corn on the cob!

And those carrot trucks driving down that road in Zellwood.....filled with carrots....

16. NWGaGator

NWGaGator All American

Apr 8, 2007
    Is Mariano Rivera available?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    Except for the last two years I’m here every summer. I stayed up one night following the women’s tennis final on espn (I think we beat Texas or Stanford—maybe Lisa Raymond’s senior year?)

• Like Like x 1
  18. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    Stricklin just tweeted that everyone is welcome to come out when the game resumes. No ticket necessary. That’s pretty cool.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Howdy all. I'm back home after watching from the stadium. Two points to make then I'll anxiously await the restart.

The first is a big thank you to a fellow GC poster who sent me his tickets for the game today in the Diamond Deck. This was my first foray up in the rarified air and I must say it was very enjoyable except for the weather delay. This opportunity was well worth it because I got to take my teenage daughter and both of us needed some time together more than the game. So kudos to a kind GC poster for giving me this opportunity. You gave me more of a memory than you ever will know. I'm sad I didn't get to stay for the ending but what's more important is my daughter had a good time as well and wants to go back the next time I get the chance. Thank you.

Second is a shout out to @Gatorgal04 for all she does. I got to sit a few rows down from her perch and it was the first time I got to interact with her since last season down in the lower level. When the delay started she came over and found a sofa to layout on to get some rest and told me she did the same thing the day before between the long hours at the stadium. It hit me just how dedicated she is to bring us her expertise at ever game she can get to. I remind everyone these game threads are her creations. Then I got home and read her lament about others that get on here and whine about the stadium or the people not there. I got to see her frustration during the game shortly after she posted that and it hit me she doesn't need her threads denigrated by many of us, myself included, when its a freaking game thread. So I'll say this on behalf of Gatorgal, if all you want to do is complain about the same things over and over then go start your own thread. She doesn't deserve a bunch of SOBs to keep muddling up her game threads and turning them into your own personal rants.

There you have it and yes I realize this is a game thread and I'm giving you a rant but hopefully Gatorgal can see thru it and appreciate I got your back. I hope you got a good nap in and sorry I didn't say by or see you again but I didn't want to disturb your sleep. Once again, a big whole-hearted thank you Gatorgal for all you do here on Diamond Gators. You are a true treasure, not only to Gator fans everywhere, but the game of baseball as well.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2022
    • Like x 10
    • Winner x 2
    • Best Post Ever x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Friendly x 1
  20. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    There’s a bar at Shulas in the hilton. It’s walking distance. It may be a little uppity for a sweaty baseball fan, but I imagine they’d serve you none the less. Lol

there’s also gumby’s which is more of a dump. It’s a little further than I’d like to walk, but I’ve walked further to get to basketball and football games.