Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Baseball vs. OK St, Mon 6/3, 3:00 pm EDT

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by Gatorgal04, Jun 3, 2024.

1. lostgator

lostgator Junior

Aug 20, 2009
    LSU just lost in excruciating fashion in extra innings. Sorry Tiger fans. Better luck next year!

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Gatorgal04

Gatorgal04 Lowly Fan Moderator

Apr 3, 2007
    Titletown, FL
    Special thanks to @ursidman and everyone else who contributed by posting data. I enjoyed popping in from time to time and was on my way home when the final out was posted. Got home and watched the recorded softball game. What a great day for Gator sports!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  3. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    forkem

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    Yes I am Lurk ! Thx

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. TheBoss

TheBoss Premium Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Gainesville
    As much as I like your posts, I have to disagree this time. It's the whole Gator baseball program that got us in. It was a combination of the players' performances throughout the season, the coaching at every level, the commitment to quality facilities and player support, the investment in bringing in strong opponents and the year in, year out success of past Gator baseball teams- including before, but especially during the Sully era. I'll even give a grateful wave to the SEC for making these guys so tough that the Big 10 and 12 teams were less competitive than ANY team we faced in the SEC.

The young, poorly integrated and often injured players have been able to pull together at the end of the season to earn compliments from our frontrunners who brush off wins that aren't pretty enough and search for goats to blame for every loss. It seemed all year that pitchers who had shown their skills before would have an awful inning or two and give up 4-6 early runs. That wasn't just frosh but included Jac, Slater, Neely and other vets. Other pitchers would then shut down the opponents and the hitters would score enough to crawl out of the hole, or, too often, not quite enough. Then there were the games when the pitching was great and hitters napped. That left us with weekend losses to StJohn's and StMary's and, worst of all, a sweep at Mizzou.

This board has a full share of analysts who learned the craft from Kyle Peterson, who has a smart comment or two in every game, but generally is clueless. In fact, mid week losses were not the problem they have been declared to be. Five of those six losses were to three teams that were in the Tallahassee Regional, plus one to JU, which was in the race to win their conference until the final weekend. It was close losses to the top teams in the SEC that nearly did us in, plus the ugly, ugly sweep by the bottom dweller.

I was afraid our season-long inconsistency would knock us out of the Regional, but I was wrong. Now I'm afraid it will knock us out in the Super. I'm happy the selection committee chose the Gators because they were a good enough team to win, but it's our top quality baseball program that got us in. Now if our fanbase can make the NIL initiative a success, we'll stay in pretty good shape in the future.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
  8. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    Imagine having Evans in right field and Wilson as the DH .

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. tenfold

tenfold GC Legend

Oct 31, 2023
    Where the crawfish stay.
    Make me wonder how comfortable Donay is with his 6’7 frame.
    Unless they make athletes plane with additional leg space.:)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2008
    [​IMG]

Not something I would do but they did it.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. neutrino_boi

neutrino_boi All American

Feb 1, 2020
    They do not. In fact, with the FlightAware data from GNV airport last night (technically this morning) and a look at GlobalX's website, one can identify the exact plane they were on. It's the A321 tail number N286GX, second from the bottom of this page:
    GlobalX Charters - Fleet
    210 seats, all-coach, 29-30" seat pitch (1" smaller than cattle class on Delta). Oof.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Emergency exit rows and the first row have more leg room.

13. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2008
    After watching OK State tee off on Jac - I am shocked that we held them to 11 hits and 4 runs over 18 innings. Pitching staff stepped up in an unbelievably huge way.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I agree with everything here. Thanks for your support on so many topics we discuss here. Sorry my post wasn't trying to single out the committee and forget all the team's effort and past successes. I was mainly giving props to the committee because I personally didn't think we were in. I was recognizing my own shortcomings while acknowledging the committee got it right. Every single person that is part of Gator baseball past and present deserves thanks for getting us this far. I'm just glad the committee saw through it and happy to be along for the ride. The good news is I hope we still see eye to eye.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Pride goeth before the fall.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    It really helped that the wind died down. It made the ballpark play a lot bigger.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    Past accomplishments may have gotten them in, but DNA took over after that.

• Agree Agree x 1