Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Baseball vs KY, Sun 5/12, Noon

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by Gatorgal04, May 12, 2024.

1. huunterhound

huunterhound Sophomore

Mar 28, 2024
    Anyone know of some sort of time limit put on today's game that would not allow any innings to start beyond a certain time?

2. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    ?

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    No inning may start beyond 3:30. Therefore it we had a guy that could clutch we win in the bottom of 9th and would not have to play that disastrous 10th .

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    Travel issues, which is bogus now days. Didn’t matter . We had our chances

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. huunterhound

huunterhound Sophomore

Mar 28, 2024
    If there was a curfew set, that explains all the delays and useless timeouts and water breaks for UK

6. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    So your contention is that being a Sully/yessir/nossir guy got him all American recognition? There's some deep thinking

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    I think the Gators burned up their clutch.

8. tenfold

tenfold GC Legend

Oct 31, 2023
    Where the crawfish stay.
    how can you be a Senior and not have that awareness? That’s the kind of team they are this year. Totally lost .

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. gator1977

gator1977 GC Legend

Apr 15, 2019
    I was away this weekend on family matters or I would have been at the ballpark throughout- and watching or listening on my phone or TV was a gut-wrenching experience. When you are ready to say... ok this one is gone and possibly the season, we rally back and then when you think that victory is at hand... and the series is won and the season back on...we fail in the clutch. Just a killer series to experience.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. gator1977

gator1977 GC Legend

Apr 15, 2019
    On Mingione: he's put together a solid team and his game management is excellent but he got away with murder with his constant offensive timeouts that the bullshat HP umpire let him get away with without a warning. And while we're at it, Neely was seriously squeezed by the sob umpire on several pitches that would have been Ks. Just a killer way to lose it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. astrogator

astrogator Senior

Feb 20, 2024
    He absolutely was aware. He clearly thought about throwing home but I guess he didn't think he could make the play and went to first instead. I thought he had a shot though. And the bases were not loaded. It was first and third with one out so no force out at home.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. insuragator

insuragator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    This routine should be run in your head before the pitch is thrown. What do I do in this situation? AND what do I do if it is hit to me. As well as where to cover if it is not to me. All of this should be thought out before that pitch is thrown.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. insuragator

insuragator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    They know this. We are as good as any team we have played this year. We just haven't done the little things that champions do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Misplaying the fly ball in left was a microcosm of the season.

15. burley

burley Junior

May 27, 2007
    Veterans made no improvement. Freshmen pitchers were slow to improve but finally did. Yost is differently a starter next year.
    Last two teams in the standings do not go to Hoover. Auburn is one at 6-21. Gators are 3 games ahead of Missouri. So, to make sure we go, we have to win at least one against Dawgs and Missouri loses one. Man, not making the SEC tournament...that would be...

16. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Coulda—Shoulda—Woulda…..

17. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2008
    In the inning that got away:
    1. Dale has to be playing no doubles defense at third.
    2. No reason for Tyler to be playing that shallow in left field with two outs especially with a right handed hitter at the plate.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2008
    As the old saying goes, you can set 'em up to succeed or you can set 'em up to fail.
    In my opinion, if you are going to use him as your closer AND you plan to use him multiple times in a weekend, you cannot send him out there to get 7-8 outs on Friday night and think you're going to bring him back to get 6-9 outs on Sunday. Tough for anyone to be effective when used like that.

Last edited: May 13, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. gator1977

gator1977 GC Legend

Apr 15, 2019
    The first disappointment that started to upend the weekend rotation was Fisher. Sully and many of us thought that he was ready to step up to weekend SP- not sure if Friday night spotlight was the best slot for him but in the absence of a clear alternative, he was thrust into the role... struggled and that tailspin in confidence has remained with Cade throughout the season. A major hit for not landing a quality SP from the portal and it hurt big time. The other element that upended things was using Peterson right off as the Saturday SP rather than having him build his confidence with mid-week starts and then moving into the weekend. The kid has the stuff to be one of the top pitchers to come through UF. Laking alternatives Sully felt compelled to move Neely to SP mid-season and that proved a poor decision as the season went off the tracks without Neely as the closer....
    We can discuss the regression of several everyday players but it's been mentioned by many of you before. My view is that it all starts with quality pitching... Team ERA tells the tale of why we are struggling to stay above .500. On a positive note, we've seen Clemente and Peterson show their stuff and certainly would be solid weekend guys next season - if we can keep them. In the NIL era nothing is guarenteed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Let's break this down a little bit, though. He clearly was not as effective as a starter as we would have desired, but how much of that was trying to get too much out of him? Let's look at his starts:

In 4 of his 6 starts, he allowed 1 or 2 runs through 4 innings; try to squeeze more berry out of the juice because...bullpen. Why was he starting as much as he was; who else should we have gone with?

In his relief roles, the worst efforts that stand out are a blown save against St. Mary's, and the two relief roles against Kentucky. He also gave up the Salami to UCG, but we had runs to give and he came in the bases loaded. Did we over extend him on Friday? Expect too much from him on Sunday?

It just feels like with respect to Neely and his strengths, we could have used him more effectively this year (completely forgetting about other factors on this year's team, just looking at how to get the most out of Neely).

Going into the Kentucky series, his stats as a reliver were as follows: 4.24 ERA, 1.35 WHIP(+HBP), .200 BAA. Not lighting the world on fire, but clearly significantly better than his results as a starter (7.45 ERA, 1.86 WHIP(+HBP), .295 BAA).

So no, not a great year for him, but we maybe asked more of him than he was able to give.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

Last edited: May 13, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1