Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Baseball vs GA, Sun 4/16, 1:00 pm

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by Gatorgal04, Apr 15, 2023.

1. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    Now the showboating incites the bench clearings. With new rules comes unintended consequences.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Didn't think it got enough attention after the game but Fisher getting those three ground balls was huge with runners in scoring position and no outs. He might not be ready for prime time consistency but he continues to show spots of improvement.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Again what a paradigm of a game. The SEC pitcher of the week struggles and gets chased giving up 6 runs and Cags is the game MVP after the miserable day last time out. Plus we win this big 11-6 after yesterday's 2-1 game and collapse the day before. I wonder what next weekend will be like.

• Like Like x 1
  4. gatorbun

gatorbun Premium Member

Nov 20, 2016
    Is that what it was? We thought it was because he fist pumped!

5. gatorbun

gatorbun Premium Member

Nov 20, 2016
    After the ejection the gators got pumped up (as well as the crowd) - Boo's were deafening.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    Just a random thought…
    I’ve seen this movie probably like 6 times and never connected the dots, but… isn’t that the dude that Travolta & Samuel L shot in that apartment in Pulp Fiction?

• Like Like x 1
  7. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    “Say ‘what’ again!”

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    I was up on the deck looking to meet you. The 70’s Alumni’s Baseball were having a social before we went down to the field . Maybe next time …

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    I’m sure we will appeal . But it’s amazing that I watch all these college games and I see this all the time .. ands even worse but nothing happens.
    They were waiting on Florida to try and make an example. I hope that our fans realize we will always get screwed on stuff . Wait until they set the new schedules this summer in Destin.. It will be a screw job there too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Nice series win after that fiasco on Friday.

And...it was.

11. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    Going right at their bench ?

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I finally found it. SIAP.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    Another view.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    Yes, but I'm into late game insurance sales... And Jac's Dagwood, four layer sandwich bomb with extra SALAMI, fits the bill for me.

So satisfying. :D

Dagwood sandwiches are the best.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2023
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    Maybe a technicality with respect to your point, but he was looking at the batter, not the dugout. They showed a replay from the visiting dugout, and you can clearly see he's not looking at the dugout, but at the batter walking back (that's what it looked like live, from the stands, as well). I believe that batter had the go-ahead hit in the top of the 9th on Friday (against Neely). Perhaps something was said...not sure.

There's definitely a clash of perspectives on this. You have the (a) old school, keep your emotions in-check; you have the (b) new age, let me show you how I feel, and worst-of-all, you have (c) the Karens that brought us complaining about RUTS, participation trophies, and only penalizing the retaliators rather than the initial instigators (probably their idea for the clocks as well).

Others have given their opinion on this, I'll chime in with mine. The game of baseball doesn't benefit from putting this responsibility in the hands of the umpires. These guys can't get game calls perfect, why would we expect them to get crap like this called correctly? I would say the same thing if it were a Georgia pitcher tossed for the same reason, but, personally, I love to see the players celebrate their victories (I don't think Neely crossed the line in this regard). If any of you follow football, what Neely did was the farthest thing from what people get away with as a taunt (and that's a violent sport!). Same for basketball (minus the violence). The umpire's action just makes no sense to me. Dumb rule, dumb enforcement of the rule. That ump deserves all the stress he got from that ridiculous call. Again, just my opinion.

And there was nothing wrong with Cags' stare to end that one inning either. That should not have risen to the level of a warning if it did (I know the HP ump and Sully had a long talk after that). I don't recall that ump having a talk with the Georgia coach. It's all garbage.

I think one thing we can all agree on is that Cags' celebration was absolutely classic and a fair game way to show up the umpire no matter what your view on celebrations is. And moreover, suck it, Georgia!

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  16. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    I don’t like the call. I don’t agree the way it gets called. I understand it though. Sometimes you get away with it sometimes you don’t. In football, we get flags called on us for stupid reasons too. They let lots of stuff slide, until they don’t. When you get that flag thrown at you for finger wagging the other guy, you know why you got the flag, and you know you were asking for it. If you simply turn and go celebrate with your guys, you don’t get flagged for it, and you don’t get ejected for it at a baseball game either. Abner celebrated leaving the mound just an inning prior to this, and managed to do so without getting booted. Dugout/batter is semantics. He wasn’t going towards his guys. There’s a way to do it and pretty much always get away with it, and there’s a way to do it in which you vastly increase your odds of being penalized for it. This doesn’t mean I agree with any of this sissyfication, but me not liking it or not agreeing with it isn’t going to make it go away. It’s part of the game now. Taunt the batter after a strikeout if you want, but don’t be surprised when this happens either.

17. gator34654

gator34654 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 5, 2007
    Disagree, baseball is an emotional game, he got an important out redeeming himself from Fridays game and pumping up his team. To get thrown out saying come on come on is BS even when looking at their dugout. He wasn't heading in their direction. BS call. He was not showboating, was not being derogatory but a kid showing real emotion. Had it been reversed no, I would not want their pitcher to be suspended. I hope that ump never sets foot on Florida's baseball field again. Neely is suspended from playing for 4 games. His action did not warrant that at all. Period.

18. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    The post you quoted wasn’t related to Neely. It was part of another conversation within the conversation. More about how the game has changed. I don’t think what Neely did was very egregious at all.

19. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    Pretty huge difference between a 15-yard penalty and getting kicked out of the game (nevermind any follow-up suspension possibility). We're basically comparing Neely's actions to targeting in football. That should be considered absurd by all parties.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Winner Winner x 2
  20. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    You brought football into the conversation, not me. I’m just saying there’s consequences for your actions. When you play with fire, sometimes you get burned. There’s a way to do what he did with almost zero chance of what happened, happening. Abner did it just a few minutes before.

I think its insane we’re going to lose Neely for four games for this.