Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Baseball vs GA, Fri 4/14, 7:00 pm

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by Gatorgal04, Apr 12, 2023.

1. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    ERA is now 2.89. ERA cannot be somehow manipulated. It’s interesting to me how stats and facts are ignored. For instance the big issue besides Neely absolutely getting hammered was Cags error when he had an easy out by stepping on first but it wasn’t mentioned. Nesbitt is a 3-5 starter but we have people ( not you) breaking down why he isn’t this or that but again I say 2.89 era. Wait for it…..there will be a post saying why he shouldn’t have a sub 3 era ( again, not from you).

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  2. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Legend

Mar 17, 2019
    UGAG Sux at Baseball. Still beats UF. Geez. At least the lady gators won their game.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    On the no need to mention, i get it but why then so many go at our CF on a non error?

4. MCB51

MCB51 Moderator

Nov 23, 2015
    FL
    On any given day-one baseball team can beat another (whether they sux or not-lol) The saying "even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile" comes to mind...teams normally do not go undefeated in baseball-just win the series-that's all that matters at the moments

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    Shane, you need to relax. No one is attacking anyone. They are merely pointing at 7 different instances that played apart in this collapse… as you have done, as well. There were enough mistakes to go around. We all know it wasn’t just one guy. Relax …breathe …let it go. Game 2 tomorrow.

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Pretty clear to me Blame being sent to one guy if you look at posts and on a ball that ripped and would never be an error. Pretty clear relievers had a rough night. Tough when things are obvious yet not noted. With ya on game 2. We still will win series.

7. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Nesbit"s ERA is/was irrelevant to my post. . He was fortunate to get out of the inning unscathed, but glad he did. You're posting as if he was Byrne . Come on man. Some time luck is on ur side, sometimes not, especially as a reliever. Both Abner and Neely had solid ERAs before the meltdown. .
    It's funny, some thought the coach pulled Sproat too soon and left both relievers in too long. iIts always easy to second guess when things go bad.

I'm sure ur guy and probably Slater will get another chance this weekend.
    Go Gators!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. diamondguy

diamondguy Sophomore

Feb 20, 2023
    95% positive lol #selfawareness #ALemon. Thanks for the laugh 95% positive lol. Didn’t you get banned for a while for your positivity lol.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2023
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Of course, they're not going to charge an error. Doesn't mean the catch shouldn't have been made. Remember when Robertson ran into the outfield wall and missed a few games early in the season? Since he's come back, he's seemed tentative about going after balls near the fences. There have been 2 or 3 other instances besides last night where he held up and let the ball hit the wall instead of hustling back to the wall, finding it with his off hand and then adjusting to make the catch. That is Basic Outfield 101 and he's not doing it. That has nothing to do with being a redshirt freshman. Especially in your home ballpark where you practice and play regularly. That is how outfielders are trained to instinctively approach deep fly balls from the time they start playing on a field with a fence. Not picking on the kid, but if Jac makes the out on his play, then Robertson catches that ball, the inning is over and we go to the bottom of the 9th tied 10-10. And we, also, can't forget that swinging bunt where Neely made a good pitch and the ball just trickled down the 1st base line and he slipped trying to make the play. That was just a bad break that could have been an out as well. No doubt Neely simply didn't have it last night, but it snowballed so fast there didn't seem to be time to get another pitcher warmed up before it got out of hand. When you bring your closer in with 7 saves and a 4 run lead facing the bottom of the order that's done nothing so far, who assumes they're going to string together the plays they did as fast as they did? But it happened and we lost. Hope they bounce back and get 'em today.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    Who would have thought the Gators had 2 grandslams and lose the game.

• Agree Agree x 5
  11. audiogatorjim

audiogatorjim GC Hall of Fame

Mar 15, 2009
    It would seem impossible, especially at home. I stopped looking at this forum to check the score after the second slam, then looked back after UGA’s ninth inning uprising and was like WTF. As mentioned here, I give UF credit for almost coming back in the 9th after blowing a large lead. Teams in all sports blow leads late and it is what it is. To me, UF had the intestinal fortitude to not quit and almost come back. This team are winners and it’s quite possible they will benefit from this bitter collapse later in the year.

• Like Like x 1
  12. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Two plays stand out to me that Georgia capitalized on. In the 3rd when Sproat threw to Josh, he had the lead runner easily if he gets him to commit before he makes that throw. The 2-run homer that inning came with 2 outs. In the 9th, Jac has a decent shot at turning 2 when the game was still tied (1 out). UGa plated three more runs. Loss was frustrating for sure, but on to the next one.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Not going to read the whole thread but there was one bright spot. We did a great job running the Dawg starter's pitch count up.

14. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

The most unpredictable thing about last night has to be that Sproat was in the ballgame through 7 innings and it turned out like it did. *#!?%$

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. gator34654

gator34654 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 5, 2007
    It was just one of those nights, no one feels worse than the players. That's baseball. Let's win today.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Glad you mentioned the error. I’m thinking from reading your posts you know a lot about baseball so you must know what some others don’t know…playing center field is hard, in fact very hard. He’s never seen live action like this anywhere. It’s interesting, those that know way more about baseball than most on this board like Sully, Cardozo, Belmonte and others have nothing but praise for Robertson.

I’ll leave you with this… those that do not know baseball at high levels didn’t understand some of Richie Martin’s errors. Richie got to balls most shortstops couldn’t and sometimes got charged with errors that others wouldn’t because they couldn’t get to it.
    5 times this year I’ve watched Robertson move laterally to balls and catch them balls that 95% of the other centerfielders in the country would not have caught. His speed and understanding of how to get to these balls were different or special. Commentators that played the game have mentioned these catches.
    Judd’s freshman year. Didn’t hit at all and Sully stayed with him. That seemed to work out pretty well.

17. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Not once have I suggested putting someone else in CF. Robertson is a really good player and he got the game winning hit tonight. But he HAS, without a doubt, let 3-4 balls go over his head and hit the wall since he's come back from injury. He's not played those balls the way outfielders are taught and it has nothing to do with lack of experience. Going after balls laterally he's been fantastic. But on those balls that have been over his head, in those few situations, he's not played them the way you're taught. And a couple of more experienced posters on these boards who have actually played at this level have said the same thing.
    And I agree with you about Richie Martin and other shortstops with his ability. They do cover so much ground they get to balls that would otherwise be base hits. And in rushing their throws because of the distance they have to cover, they make extra errors when other guys would never have the chance to attempt a play. You're a very observant guy and I try to be as well. But I still stand by my observation about Mikey. Very good player who should only get better. But he's got to get better at covering the outfield fences.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1