Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Baseball vs. Clemson, Sun 6/9/24, 2:30 pm

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by Gatorgal04, Jun 8, 2024.

1. gatorich

gatorich GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Pensacola, FL
    I know I felt really good after Ashton Wilson's HR in the eighth and of course I was wrong! I was not very confident after that until Robertson's shot in the gap.
    Ashton Wilson's story is something and he continues to amaze. Hit's his second HR of the year in the Super Regional to put his team up by three going into the ninth, wow! hit's what should have been the game winning hit in the tenth if not for the amazing catch by their center fielder. The kid has just been clutch since getting inserted into the lineup!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    After the brush up? Both benches were warned, so not only did Cags get a warning, but our entire bench did. Their player who was ejected got ejected for making contact with the ump. The kid that was part of the collision remained in the game along with cags.

If we’re talking about their player being warned for spiking the bat after the dinger, right before the coach and the retired coach got ejected, then I don’t understand why they were issuing a warning. That kid had already been warned so he should have been ejected. I don’t necessarily think he did anything ejection worthy, but once you’ve been warned, you don’t get another warning. I did think their pitcher should have been ejected for barking at our dugout, What he did was at least as bad as what Neely got the boot for last year.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  3. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2008
    ^^^Not talking about the brushup - talking about the bat spike after the dinger.

4. gatorranger7

gatorranger7 All American

Jun 8, 2007
    Bear in mind, y'all, that a) I don't have cable and b) if I did I wouldn't have access due to a home re-do so I follow on Twitter. So sue me.
    Didn't want to jinx us so I worked on fixing a Dutch Oven pot roast and reading a good book, waited until about 1800 hrs (6:00 pm for you heathen). I came in at 3.

3. Glad we weren't behind but lots of baseball to be played.
    6. Thought "That ought to do it." BAD thought.
    5. I felt GREAT. Amazed that Ashton had delivered yet again. "That ought to do it." BAD thought.
    6. First tweet was Scott Carter "Pain" describing Nelly's emotions. Seriously - a 3-run HR? Felt really bad. This Gator team, in Clemson, Big Mo was on the move.
    Between 6 and 7 I was growing morose. Having RISP and unable to push them across seemed like such a 2024 UF Baseball thing. Stadium going bat-$h!t with the coaches ejected... Eeyore took over my psyche, the baseball gods had decided we would be playing on Monday.
    7. Saw Nick DelaTorre's tweet and my son texted me at the same moment. "And there was much rejoicing."

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  5. Gatorborn

Gatorborn GC Legend

Jul 11, 2014
    South Carolina
    That's just wrong...hilarious, but wrong.

I bet most of us would love to have this guy on our team.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. MatsideObserver

Apr 24, 2008
    Here's what Van Raaphorst (CHIEF UMPIRE) had to say:

“In the top of the 13th inning the Clemson batter hit home run and spiked his bat into the ground.

The crew got together due to the nature of the bat being spiked and to discuss a possible unsportsmanlike conduct violation as unsportsmanlike conduct warnings were issued in the 3rd inning.

Coach Bakich came running out of the dugout when the crew got together. We told him to go back to the dugout while we huddled. We had to tell him three times to return to the dugout. Meanwhile Coach Leggett was in the dugout pointing and screaming at us about the crew huddling. Leggett was warned to stop, he continued waving his hands while yelling at the crew. At this point Leggett was ejected for failing to obey the warning. He then proceeded onto the field in foul territory and was warned to leave or be suspended. Leggett continued to yell at the crew while walking toward the foul line while failing to obey the 'Prolonged warning.' Leggett was then issued a two-game suspension. Once Leggett was ejected Coach Bakich who had not returned to the dugout stayed outside the dugout in foul territory and started raising his arms over his head while facing the crowd to clearly incite the crowd. Due to the previous unsportsmanlike conduct warning issued earlier we deemed this inappropriate, and he would be ejected for his actions.

"We ultimately decided that the batter's actions were not an ejectable offense. The crew chief met Coach Bakich at the foul line to give him an explanation. He was told Leggett had been ejected… and suspended for coming out of the dugout, onto the field and failing to obey the prolonged warning. He was then told Backich himself was going to be ejected for not returning to the dugout and for inciting the crowd. After the ejection Bakich followed the Crew Chief several times around the infield and after being warned for prolonged activity was suspended for failing to obey the warning. 

The game continued and ended without further incident.”

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 5
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  7. MatsideObserver

Apr 24, 2008
    OFFICIAL EXPLANATION FOR EJECTION:

Clemson student-athlete (#3) who was on second base at the time of the play which resulted in a possible altercation near first base was ejected from the game for leaving his position on the field because he went to the site of the potential altercation. Members of both teams were warned against any further unsportsmanlike conduct and if there are any issues the remainder of the game this would also result in an ejection for any given student-athlete, coach, or team personnel. Clemson's student-athlete who was ejected will also be suspended per NCAA baseball playing rules (Rule 2-26) for a game tomorrow (if a game three is necessary)."

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    So the coach and the retiree are just idiots. They weren’t even going to do anything about the bat spike. Thanks for the detail.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. gatormonk

gatormonk GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. gatormonk

gatormonk GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. gatorich

gatorich GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Pensacola, FL
    Kid is a baller, clutch play after clutch play!

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    The Coaches acted like absolute fools.

IMHO, they cost Clemson the game. Total shift of momentum. Total shitting on the team's mojo. Woke up the Gators. Shot themselves in the foot.

Looked immature, unprofessional, entitled, whiny, and utterly classless.

And for what?

Right after they had a colossal break that seemed to represent a complete shift of fate. inexplicable.

...but duly appreciated, as our boys couldn't seem to put them away without their own implosion.

Thanks Clemson coach(es)!

GO GATORS!!

• Like Like x 3
  13. GratefulGator

GratefulGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 15, 2016
    Boulder Colorado
    One of my favorite parts of the game is when Sully had the ump check the Clemson pitcher's hat for no-no's.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    Wouldn’t be the first time this year a pitcher was using some sticky against us. I get clemson fans being pissed about it, but in Sully’s shoes, you kinda have to ask.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. audiogatorjim

audiogatorjim GC Hall of Fame

Mar 15, 2009
    I wonder if the two game suspensions will be enforced next season because the GATORS ended their season yesterday!!

• Funny Funny x 3
  16. Gatorborn

Gatorborn GC Legend

Jul 11, 2014
    South Carolina
    There were a few on the board that mentioned it before Sully asked them to check. I had thought it was strange that he touched that same spot before every pitch.
    But, giving him the benefit of the doubt and after the umps checked it, I told Mrs. Gatorborn that it may have just been an accumulation of dirt from so many ball to hand to hat touches.
    We got the W and in the end I'm a happy Gator.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Gatorallstar1012

Gatorallstar1012 GC Legend

Oct 31, 2011
    I mean any coach would once you notice a spot on the hat and he keeps touching it. Pair that with how much his pitches were snapping especially the breaking balls for a guy that didn’t have good numbers either all of a sudden is mowing batters down.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Yep. The coach and pretend-coach were repeatedly told to back off and they refused. No one to blame but themselves.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  19. skz868992

skz868992 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    NSB and Gainesville
    Pretty clear to me that the moment was too big for Clemson. Coaches and fans.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
  20. ufjulzz

ufjulzz All American

Jun 5, 2007

• Like Like x 1