Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Baseball at Ole Miss, Sun 3/26, 3:00 pm EDT

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by Gatorgal04, Mar 25, 2023.

1. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl

• Like Like x 3
  3. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl

• Like Like x 2
  4. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Yeah, Wyatt is a very different exception as he is probably one of the more athletic kids to come through our program in the last 10 years. Definitely an exception to the nth degree.
    Putting Heyman at catcher, BT at first, and Cags at DH looks like our best lineup. You cannot deny Heyman’s power. You add him to an already potent offense and look out.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    For sure, and you’re right maybe not third but I bet a lot of them could play first. I seem to recall La Porta and now BT and I’m sure I’m forgetting some others

6. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Yep that's one of my comments I plan to build on for the lineup. I've floated it out there a few times before Heyman got hurt, but I still was torn keeping Cags at first as much as possible, but now it might be Riopelle's spot, opening the door for Heyman to catch more often. Don't get me wrong I still think Riopelle is the better catcher because of experience and his willingness to take a beating for the team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Riopelle is a leader and a solid 1st baseman. But should he drop a couple of spots in the lineup due to all the strikeouts? Heyman has to play, though, and my guess is for the short term it'll be BT catching, Cags at 1st and Heyman DH'ing. Should Shelnut get another look at 3rd? Halter leads the team with 5 errors and is fielding .891. Yikes! Shelnut has 2 errors and fielding .974. Shelnutt is batting .279, Halter .266. Just asking.
    Team fielding is down to .971, which is unlike Sully-coached teams.

8. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

It takes a special kind of tough to catch a pair of 9 inning games when that double header is on the road vs tough competition and rowdy home crowds. Big tip of the cap to BT!

Other than that, tip of the cap to every single Gator Baseball player who was part of this weekend.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. JohnC1908

JohnC1908 VIP Member

Ole Miss neighbor took his wife up there for the weekend. Just left a broom on their porch.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  10. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    That's the other idea I was putting out there to let Heyman DH. I'm thinking the Friday lineup could look like Cags-1B, Riopelle-C, Heyman-DH. Then Saturday let Cags-DH like 74 once suggested, Riopelle-1B, Heyman-C. Sunday Cags would P/DH, Riopelle-1B, Heyman-C. Lastly midweek would be Cags-1B, Riopelle-C, Heyman-DH. The only trouble is Saturday is Waldrep's day and he usually gets Riopelle catching for him. Not sure we want Heyman at 1B.

11. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    Yes sir

12. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Florida & Ole Miss Recaps
    Florida
    • Florida swept Ole Miss in Oxford for the first time since 1988.
      • The Gators swept the Rebels for the first time since 2015 in Gainesville.
    • Caglianone hit his nation-leading 17th home run of the season in the first inning.
      • In games he begins as the starting pitcher, Caglianone is 8-for-21 (.381) with six home runs, 10 RBI and nine runs scored.
      • He now has more home runs (17) than singles (16) this season.
      • The first-inning homer marked Caglianone's fourth in the last two days.
    • Kurland tied his career high with four RBI while hitting his eighth home run of the season.
    • Heyman notched his first-career multi-homer game, hitting solo shots in the fourth and the seventh.
    • Josh Rivera's team-leading 25-game on-base streak was snapped (28 including the 2022 season).
      • Robertson extended his on-base streak to 23 games.
    • Florida has struck out double-digit batters in 19 of 26 games.
    • Florida has struck out 286 batters in 214 innings – translating to 12.0 per nine innings.
    • Through 26 games, Florida has a run differential of plus-133.
      • The Gators have scored in 109 of 204 batted innings this season (53.4%).
    • The Gators have 288 hits through 26 games (11.1 hits/game).
    • Florida improves to 57-53 all-time vs. Ole Miss including 22-33 in Oxford.
      • The Gators are 20-14 in the series under Head Coach Kevin O'Sullivan, featuring an 11-7 mark on the road.
    FROM HEAD COACH KEVIN O'SULLIVAN
    On this weekend's pitching…
    "It started off a little different. Obviously, Jac didn't have his best stuff today. Some of that may be attributed to yesterday, playing 18 innings. I thought his slot might have been a little bit lower than normal today. He missed a lot of high-arm sides, so we got some work to do. Quite honestly, the three starts we got this weekend were not great, but the bullpen was really good. Blake came in in a crucial spot there, got the out with Alderman. Chris Arroyo hadn't pitched in quite some time and came in and threw strikes. He did a really nice job to hold it together. Philip threw the ball really well. I think they had some pretty good at bats against him. Neely was just outstanding again."
    Ole Miss
    Ole Miss Athletics
    OXFORD, Miss. – Florida completed a Southeastern Conference baseball sweep of Ole Miss Sunday with a 7-4 win at Oxford-University Stadium/Swayze Field.
    The Gators (22-4, 5-1 SEC) took a 1-0 lead over the Rebels (15-9, 0-6 SEC) in the first inning on a two-out solo home run by Jac Caglianone off Ole Miss starter Xavier Rivas. But the junior left-hander had a solid day from that point on, allowing just four total runs, only two of them earned, on five hits with four strikeouts and two walks in 5.2 innings.

It was the Rebel offense that had some difficulty making much happen in the finale. Ole Miss scored just two runs through seven innings and didn't get its first hit of the game until the fourth inning on a two RBI double by Jacob Gonzalez that cut the Gator lead to 3-2.

Florida had stretched its lead to 7-2 through the top of the eighth inning when the Rebels mounted a comeback. Calvin Harris led off the bottom of the eighth with a single to center field. Harris got to third base on a throwing error by the Gator third baseman as Peyton Chatagnier reached first on a fielder's choice. Chatagnier advanced on a wild pitch by Florida reliever Philip Abner and Harris scored on the play.

Anthony Calarco then singled up the middle and Chatagnier moved to third. The Gotrs changed pitchers as Brandon Neely came in to try to slow the Rebels down. Ethan Lege hit into a double play that allowed Chatagnier to score. TJ McCants flew out to end the inning, and Ole Miss had narrowed the gap to three runs.

After Florida failed to produce anything in the top of the ninth, Ethan Groff singled with one out in the bottom of the ninth. But two outs later, the game was over.

Ole Miss plays Southern Mississippi in Pearl on Tuesday at 6 p.m.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Did you tie a blue & orange bow on it?;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  14. volungator

volungator All American

You
    You don't by chance live in WPB do you? I know a couple that did the same. Though my friends are Gators (in fact a former swimmer) whose son attends OM.

15. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Was at the game, beautiful day for baseball. Seemed like a mediocre turnout given the packed house Sat. Reb fans pretty dispirited even before the Sunday loss. Tough times in the state, both ole miss and the cowbells 0-6 in SEC.

Never saw a game quite like that. I think at one point we had 5 BBs and 2 errors but a no hitter. :eek: Dodged some early bullets today. I think the Rebs left 7 on base in the first 3 inn. Swept the series without a dominating starting performance any day.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The biggest problem with a catcher playing first is that first base is one of the few places you can put a lefty and nobody is going to put a lefty behind the plate except for Bing Russell with an independent A team in Portland. Great movie, BTW.