Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Austin Simmons Commits to UF (Then Flips To Mississippi)

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by candymanfromgc, Apr 3, 2023.

1. g0ggles

g0ggles Senior

Sep 8, 2012
    Norfolk, Virginia
    Be fantastic to get this young man on campus early. Like another post mentioned... no need to look at Simmons as a savior. Just let him develop..... if he happens to be the best option at qb? Then play him

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    There are a lot of shades of difference between very catchable and uncatchable that can be the difference between 0 yards after catch to a TD.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. StrangeGator

StrangeGator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Any thoughts on his running ability? Didn't see a lot in his HUDL clips. Hard to gauge his speed given his long stride. Excellent athleticism but I didn't see him getting a lot of separation on long runs. Not sure I'd consider him a dual threat QB. This is one area where Lagway is clearly superior. But damn Simmons throws a beautiful deep ball.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. username

username GC Hall of Fame

Aug 17, 2017
    What about in 2006? That true freshman QB

5. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    No need to run if he commands the pocket and has a strong run game behind him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
  7. HisDoc

HisDoc GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    He was good in short yardage situations...and to throw a change up for the opposing D for a series here and there. But if he was the starter, no way we would've had the success we had that year, IMO.

• Agree Agree x 6
  8. StrangeGator

StrangeGator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Good stuff except the part where he averages 3.1 yards per carry. Very intelligent analysis but I could have done without the bible lesson.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  9. revgator

revgator All American

Apr 3, 2007
    You could have simply stopped reading. I’m guessing the three Gator Heisman winning QBs who were all preachers kids were ok with it.

• Like Like x 5
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  10. StrangeGator

StrangeGator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Were they the entirety of the intended audience? Don't think so. When I read an article from an online publication Read & Reaction that purports to be about college football, that's exactly what I expect. When it stealthily turns into a new testament lesson, I feel like I've been baited and switched. Sure, I can stop reading but stupid me is thinking the conversation is going to turn back to Austin Simmons but it doesn't.

It's presumptuous to believe that everybody who loves Gator football is Christian or even enjoys reading stuff like that and it's unprofessional of a journalist to pull a stunt like that. It's hard enough being a non-Christian college football fan, especially for a southern team. It's in our faces all the time. I like to keep my religion and my sports separate.

• Agree x 6
    • Come On Man x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Informative x 1
  11. propagator

propagator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Separation of church & sports. Haha

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. revgator

revgator All American

Apr 3, 2007
    Do you object to people on this forum asking for prayer…which many have? Oh…and I absolutely don’t assume all fans are Christian. In fact, I believe we’re a stronger people (and nation) when we recognize and learn from each other, regardless of faith (or non-faith) tradition. And I admire anyone, regardless of faith (or non-faith) tradition having the integrity and courage to bring their beliefs (or non-beliefs) into expression, regardless of forum. We’re stronger and we become learners when we invite disagreement. Anyway, I also value, and will learn from, your comments.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Do you have a problem when the Fellowship of Christian Athletes gather together on the field for prayer?

14. rzinger

rzinger Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    I do. They are co-opting a platform for a public display. Let's stick to football.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    It’s so simple to skip. If you read all that it’s a choice.

16. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

You’re assuming their actions aren’t genuine

17. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    You Really complaining about guys who who want to pray after a football game? I am probably one of the most non religious people I know. But I don’t care one bit if some guys who just laid it all on the line, who in a sense survived a brutal contest and didn’t get hurt, want to pray immediately after. Football is a brutal sport and every year players suffer career ending injuries,

As a group, the percent of nfl players who are religious - or at least claim to be - is higher than the general public. Did you hate Reggie White? I suppose you despised Tim Tebow? He knelt in prayer after every TD, not just after a game.

I see no problem with it even if I wouldn’t be involved.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  18. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Agreed. Let people be

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    I am absolutely 0% religious, just wasn't raised that way.... but I respect all people's religion probably more than other religious sects and I have zero issues if some one wants to pray with other players after the game.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. ShadowCat

ShadowCat All American

Jan 6, 2015
    People will get defensive against your position due to their faith, yet if it was an article about Simmons that turned into transgender discussion, banning guns, etc the response would be totally different and along the lines of "keep it to football and not bait and switch"

I agree with you, an article about football players should remain there and not go down other paths. It's fine to mention in a line or two that the recruit has deep faith, works at a soup kitchen, or goes to the Phillipines on a mission. A couple lines and done...

I just want to read about football in these articles, I don't need someone preaching religion, left or right political agendas, etc. Don't need that crap one way or another.

• Agree Agree x 6