Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Austin A is our DC much like Toney

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gator34654, Sep 17, 2023.

1. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    Toney, FYI

2. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    Missouri and Kentucky on the road are no easy games.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Toney Baloney.

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    They should be. Underachieving shouldn’t be acceptable.

5. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    While I appreciate your comment using the historical lens, sadly, this is just no longer the case.

Ky, last year, destroyed the season for me. I knew that UF was in big trouble after that nightmare.

I hope the Gators put a big circle around UK considering we are 0 - 2 in the last two years.

CBN needs to prove he can win on the road in the SEC, this is a HUGE game for UF.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Gatorhead

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Absolutely agree.
    The fate of the season may rest in the results of these two contests in terms of a decent W - L record.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. lizardbreath

lizardbreath GC Hall of Fame

Aug 30, 2017
    Pace, FL
    That is undeniably true. But I honestly think that we can/should win both games if we continue to improve, avoid major injuries and bring it all on gameday. I know that's viewed as an optimistic take by some pretty reasonable people here, and I respect that. But I ain't gonna lie. I like my young team and I wouldn't trade a damn thing with either MO or KY. We may well split those games, but I don't believe we'll lose both and we may well not lose either one. Just MHO.

• Like Like x 3
  8. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Stoops showed the world how to stop AR and he struggled. They have a good defense. I get that they aren’t the UK of old, but we need to beat these Tier 2 teams and get back to being Tier 1. This is the year and I’m pretty confident we get there.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  9. Gatorhead

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    I completely agree, CBN has to win these games if UF has any hope of returning to prominance. I just posted how important the next 4 games are. I think the next 4 will determine just how good the W-L record will be this campaign. I'm really hoping for that 6 - 1 record going into UGA like Tilly posted.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2014
    Should we start an "overstated" thread regarding the importance?

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. Gatorhead

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    It's always best to "drill-out" tooth decay once it gets started.........
    lol

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. 2oldgator

2oldgator GC Legend

Jul 14, 2021
    Dunnellon fl
    Thanks for posting that info.
    One thing that I have to remind myself, it’s doubtful if many or any of the 9 teams in front of us have played two teams with as productive offenses as Utah and Tennessee. Still, number 10 defense in the country at this early stage in the season is still mighty impressive.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Gatorhead

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia

Truth be told, College Football's regular season is tantamount to a 12 game playoff system.

14. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    It’s more like the CWS though as you can lose 1 along the way and still be in it at the end.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Gatorhead

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Indeed, UF has three rings with 1 loss.

• Like Like x 1
  16. hhpgator

hhpgator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 13, 2017
    I agree and further see other bright spots from Saturday night’s game. Caveat that UT was overrated based on the performance of Hooker last year who isn’t on their roster. The hype of Heupel’s offense has them as world beaters, something that isn’t supported by their performance in the two games prior to us. What they had demonstrated was a stout front seven that stops the run and creates TFL. Something they struggled to do Saturday night. As much as UT is overrated based off of last year, I think our Gators are equally underrated. Mertz was a question mark for many pundits because of his play in the Wisconsin offense. So far, he has been our one true point of consistent play on that side of the ball. The RBs are great, but need holes. If the OL plays more like this weekend than they did in Salt Lake, we should be fine.

The defensive woes from last year appear resolved. However we are playing a LOT of youth who will make some mistakes. I never put much stock in statistics as they can say whatever you bend them to mean, but the eye test for our defense is much improved.

Most of our remaining schedules have like us, already shown exploitable weaknesses. LSU was pedestrian against FSU, UGA struggled with USC, FSU nearly lost to BC, etc. This is as wide open an SEC as has been seen in awhile. I for one am looking for an exciting season in which no games should get out of reach for us.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Agator88

Agator88 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 7, 2014
    I have wondered the same with Kamari. I thought he flashed last year, but I guess he's just been buried. I'm all for playing the best guys though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Stoops coaches up a dirty defense too. We can expect cheap shots on Mertz — really got to protect him up there

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I doubt nil deals last on the bench very long

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Agator88

Agator88 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 7, 2014
    If we cut the season into thirds. Not many would have had us 3-1 in the first 4, I don't mean go count Charlotte as a win yet, but let's just say it is.

The next 4 after Charlotte are as follows:
    @UK
    Vandy
    @usec
    UGA
    I am ok with being 2-2 in that stretch, because that's my prediction preseason. However, I think all 4 of these teams have underperformed based on my expectations. UK has played nobody and every week they win; but it's a struggle. Vandy started strong, but have crashed back to earth. Usce, is about what I expected, but I thought they would beat UNC instead they were dominated at the line of scrimmage. UGA is losing at least 1 conference game this year maybe 2, their offense starts too slow and I don't think their defense is an A+ like it has been.

6-1 going into Jacksonville isn't crazy talk, but I'd bet it's 5-2. We still haven't shown the ability to handle road games. Now could that be fixed with a healthy center, and more experience for the young secondary, maybe. That UK game feels like a 17-13 type game, with both coaches trying to be the more physical team.

• Like Like x 3