Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Austin A is our DC much like Toney

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gator34654, Sep 17, 2023.

1. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Hope we get some elite pass rushers to go with them. Our guys are good up front but we could use a guy that wrecks half the plays.

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Money has to be at least equal on all accounts.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Unless a guy just loves coaching, it doesn’t take long at this level for retirement to look attractive.I’m a simple guy and I like money but I don’t need much more than several million to do whatever I desire all day every day.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. tripsright

tripsright GC Legend

Dec 2, 2021
    Florida
    Yeah, Armstrong pretty much kicked Heupel’s *ss last night. Kid definitely has talent and I’m glad he’s here with us.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. gatorwalrus

gatorwalrus GC Hall of Fame

Sep 24, 2022
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Milton isn’t Hooker but I’m not seeing a lot of great qbs on the better teams this year.Texas, Colorado, and usc? Maybe Texas has what it takes. I dunno, Bama didn’t look like Bama yet. Nobody looks great to me this year. Maybe a three or four seed has a shot this year. I guess Georgia deserves to be one but they don’t look great just yet.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. RattlerGator

RattlerGator VIP Member

I wouldn't.

His offense didn't flounder *last* season and it isn't doing so *this* season. Our problem was defense last year, and that appears to have been fixed.

Billy likely isn't hiring an offensive coordinator. Y'all might want to quit singing that tune. It doesn't make sense, no matter how often people keep posting it.

Special teams ??? That might be another question, might have some merit. But, it may just boil down to execution issues just as Billy has stated. Our punter is a damn good punter IMHO but he had a tough night against U.T. Our starting FG kicker inspires no confidence in me, the backup clearly appeared to perform better in real-game action.

Our team is far better than people have presumed, so is Mertz. We have a chance to have a really good season if we can continue to grow, game after game. So far, so good.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    I just don't think he was as good as his billing and hasn't showed the upside. Castell has shown huge upside, just like Filsaime will show next year hopefully. The biggest part is that Castell is learning the position so quickly, it negates any advantage Kamari would have over him, and he hadn't beaten out Mitchell last year or this year.

• Informative Informative x 2
  9. pogba

pogba Junior

Nov 28, 2013
    The defensive roster last year really was that bad man. Mullen had us down to 1 actual linebacker basically. Never seen a worse secondary. And legitimately no one could tackle. Same crew that let Samford score 52.

I think Toney was way too passive of a playcaller though to work long term at an SEC program. Got to have energy and aggression to be a DC in this conference.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    There are some really stupid posts out there that are just not worth responding to. The one you just responded to was one of them. Don’t waste your breath. They just don’t reason well.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  11. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I totally agree with everything in this post. I knew AA would be great right after his first presser, and I have been on that Armstrong train ever since. Since then I found out far more about him and his past coaching stops which further convinced me that, even before our first game, we had the right coach for the job.

But with regard to our secondary getting beat on the long ball, I don't think these freshmen fully realize that these college QBs can toss that football 70 to 80 yards down the field, and they just seem to slow-run the deep balls.

They'll learn... or we'll just get faster back-end players that can keep up. We have some that already can keep up. Those guys are doing fine, but some of them need to step -up the pace. This last class has lots of good DBs in it. If we keep the ones we have in 2024 and maybe add one or two more then we will be dangerous in the years to follow.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    Wonder if he transfers out then at some point? But Castell proves CBN has a huge eye for talent.

13. tripsright

tripsright GC Legend

Dec 2, 2021
    Florida
    I agree. He’s ut’s lesser talented AR. Regardless, Armstrong had our defense in the correct calls, usually. And our overall defense, and proper fundamental techniques, are night/day compared to last year imo. Proper gap control, set/maintain the edge of los, maintain proper leverage on (most) tackles, much improved LB play, DBs being more physical and actually challenging receivers for the ball, and the defense, in general, seems to know where they’re supposed to be and properly aligned/ready BEFORE the snap. Armstrong, and that entire defensive staff, deserves a ton of credit thus far.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. GatorLuke

GatorLuke GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    And he’s having fun!!!!

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. seffnergator

seffnergator Sophomore

Apr 20, 2007
    seffner,fla.
    I liked the energy the defense showed last night, it looks to be a interesting season))

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Get the hell out of here with that crap

Last edited: Sep 17, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  17. nawlinsgator

nawlinsgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Thanks to AA, I’ve been drinking less. Yessir, talkin bout Austin Armstrong.
    Seriously though, so far so good. Hope he keeps us rolling.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007

If that is your biggest concern, and you are interested, then come up with a plan. Get back to us with it in several years.

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. Claygator

Apr 11, 2007
    Why does this board continue to tolerate these people?

• Agree x 3
    • Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Friendly x 1
  20. Claygator

Apr 11, 2007
    I agree, but when they keep on coming, and coming and coming, you have to confront their stupidity. Because they don't stop.

• Funny Funny x 1