Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Attack on North Carolina Power Substation

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by ncargat1, Dec 5, 2022.

1. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    If "violence for political gain" = terrorism, then every war ever fought is terrorism. That definition seems a little overly broad.

2. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    Would there be anything terribly wrong with breaking up the US ? I mean, when spouses are at each other’s throats, sucking would dry, no inclination towards reparation ... we don’t have any problem countenancing divorce.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    My understanding is that there are different definitions of terrorism. I have mostly thought of it as being individuals or groups using or threatening violence, particularly against civilians, in order to intimidate, coerce, or force a change in policy. Your question about war is a fair one. I think it's fair to question why we call it "state-sponsored" terrorism if a foreign government is aware of or funds it but it's arguably just an act of war if a foreign government attacks civilians themselves. Was the U.S. bombing of Dresden an act of terrorism? Fair debate, but I still don't consider garden variety looting to constitute terrorism. For one thing, looting can be done without violence of threat of violence when the doors have been busted in and people are just taking stuff.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    one thing about living in a hurricane zone is we keep a generator. Not big enough to run the house but big enough to run the fridge, microwave, lights. celling fans, tv, etc. Everything but the dryer, a/c, and stove. I turn everything else off when we run the hot water heater or washing machine but for $650 it is money well spent. Cook on the grill, air fryer, deep fryer etc. Ian put us out of power for 2 weeks. Makes life tolerable if you can stand the hum of the generator. 5500 watt with 7500 surge capacity.

Of course, we don't have to worry about staying warm here. If I lived up north, I would certainly have a wood stove for that though

This will end up being a big boom for security cameras and monitoring equipment which will do exactly nothing to secure the facilities as rifles can do damage from well outside the range of the camera. Nothing short of enclosing all of these substation in walled enclosures will help.

Really surprised it is taking them so long to fix it. Seems like it would be straight up replacement of components that they should have in inventory

Last edited: Dec 6, 2022
  5. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    protests against social injustice are not the same as sabotage to prevent a legal function which you disagree with. What you propose is analogous to equating the Rodny King riots to the Jan 6 coup attempt.

FTR, I in no way condone violence or looting and beleive they should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law but equating the two is a big reach. The rioting and looting that occurs is typically a few out of many that are taking advantage of the situation and not the sole source and impetus for the act

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    I never compared Jan 6 to anything, other than coups from other countries. I compared domestic terrorism to domestic terrorism.

7. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    you compared looting of a building in protests of a social injustice to destroying infrastructure that creates widespread hardships across a large area to promote a personal social value.

8. defensewinschampionships

Sep 16, 2018
    Yes I did. I'd consider the massive loss of business and livelihood a "widespread hardship."

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  9. WDGator

WDGator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Pinehurst, NC
    Told my wife these are large components. We should hope any are laying around on the East coast. I’m afraid we are looking at several more days.

Although a portable would be great, we do need a generator and will start the process of getting one installed after Christmas.

• Like Like x 1
  10. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    I know that FPL has a standing inventory of several of every component in their distribution system. Just surprised that Duke Energy doesn't have the same.

Highly recommend nat gas generator if you have nat gas available. Much easier than dealing with gas/diesel

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  11. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    so a handful of businesses being shuttered equates to 40k people without power? really?

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  12. defensewinschampionships

Sep 16, 2018
    From the interview:

"Bradley Hardy is an economist at American University. He has studied the economic impact of property damage and rioting on neighborhoods. Bradley looked at neighborhoods that had seen damage back in 1968. Even 20, 30 years later, Bradley says those neighborhoods never fully recovered."

"BRADLEY HARDY: They had lower educational attainment, lower incomes, higher use of welfare programs, higher poverty rates. Those neighborhoods essentially continued to lag behind other counterpart neighborhoods."

40k without power for a few days vs. 30 year economic impact for a neighborhood?

This will be my last post in this thread.

• Winner Winner x 2
  13. staticgator

staticgator GC Legend

Nov 27, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 2
  14. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Likely related, even if as proof of concept

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  15. staticgator

staticgator GC Legend

Nov 27, 2016
    This lady,

1.) Knows the county sheriff
    [​IMG]

2.) Was a Jan. 6 "protestor"

3.) Is active duty army

4.) Tagged a drag show on Facebook regarding God's disapproval

That's a lot of dots to connect.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. BossaGator

BossaGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Arlington, VA
    I’d hope LE is treating it as credible enough to at least follow up on. In the past 5 years I’ve learned that violent criminals frequently display red flags on social media. It really doesn’t have much to do with seeking enlightenment

17. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    She volunteered herself as suspect 1a. I hope the FBI isn’t as flippant about that as the dittohead sheriff.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. staticgator

staticgator GC Legend

Nov 27, 2016
    Republicans: Drag queens are groomers targeting children for pedophilia and no one is doing anything about it!

Also Republicans: Guns are great and the solution to all your problems. All of our people should own as many guns as you want.

What could go wrong?

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  19. staticgator

staticgator GC Legend

Nov 27, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

It likely is domestic terrorism by someone. Question is by whom. I know who our lib governor here in NC is hoping it is lol.