Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Asa Turner to UF

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by candymanfromgc, Jan 25, 2024.

1. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    This just in, this just in…fanatics are hypocritical, fanatics ARE hypocritical!

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Good analysis and agree with everything but will add that DE position is wide open. I'm not so sure Gumbs or Taylor ends up the starter. With lots of movement on the Dline who knows how many will settle in. I hope the freshman McCray steps up early and takes the DE spot or at least is an every other game starter. That said means someone else won't get enough playing time somewhere.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. danmanne65

danmanne65 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    Wasn’t he a walk on?

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    All will make preseason rankings doubly stupid.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. kalaniocc

kalaniocc GC Hall of Fame

im late to the party but this is a really good get!

• Like Like x 2
  6. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    He earned a scholarship while here, but he was originally a walk on.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. danmanne65

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    From the muck if I remember correctly. His nfl interview went south when he told them he never returned after leaving. Cost him from being a first round draft pick.

8. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yepper...

9. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    Louis Oliver Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Draft, College | Pro-Football-Reference.com

It did cost him. He slid but he stayed in the 1st round.
    The Dolphins picked him 25th overall in 1989.

If I remember correctly there were character concerns and ESPN then unveiled a short film on him and his background.
    It was moving and Chris Berman ended it by saying "plummeting draft pick indeed."
    Meaning- this is a high character guy- you guys are nuts to not take him.

Then- perhaps a coincidence or perhaps due to the ESPN film- the Dolphins picked him with the next pick, I believe.

From my memory- I know it was 30+ years ago but I was so tuned in back then...
    I probably messed up something in that story but the gist is true...

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. garettk

garettk GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2008
    Mayo, FL
    And he graduated. In a way I think that’s fulfilling his commitment.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. gatordadx2

gatordadx2 Premium Member

Dec 24, 2017
    the fact that he played as a freshmen gives me cause to believe he will improve drastically from year 1 to year 2

12. believer

believer GC Hall of Fame

Jun 2, 2007
    Never returned after leaving where?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. gatordadx2

Dec 24, 2017
    watched him and Jarvis Williams crush it for the Phins

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  14. gatordadx2

Dec 24, 2017
    yes

15. severnt

severnt Junior

Feb 2, 2012
    No offense, but I 80% disagree. NIL-money arguments put aside for a moment, the current transfer landscape, ESPECIALLY when there is a coaching change, can be good for players and good for the teams they are leaving as well due to roster management. It also quite frankly is a little more fair given some recruits are sold some bs to sign (like play some dream position they'll never play) and used to be screwed with their situation. Of the guys that transferred away from us, only three remotely bother me where I question their decision and their orange and blue blood. Those would be Trevor Etienne because he could share starting, continue to have big impact, and then chose a bitter SEC rival that we play in 2024 that it would seem his situation with rotation isn't any better (so question the motive). Richie Leonard IV, but really just because he seemed so happy to get and accept that FSU offer, again a team we play and bitter rival. Princely Umanmielen certainly felt like a loss for us and goes to a team on the 2024 schedule. Every other transfer-out of the 20+ guys... as much as I liked some of them and hoped to see them become big impacts here (like a Chris McClellan or Will Norman), there really is nothing to fault them. I don't consider them disloyal of bad Gators. I think each has reasons why it's the best move for them to finish their college careers and I honestly wish each of them the best (and still follow some on social media - I still follow Chief Borders at Nebraska, Yessir!).

Now I don't know if my three I mentioned made their decisions based on NIL alone or other events I know nothing about... but to suggest because someone starts their career here and they make a change they don't know what a commitment is or have some character flaws... that would probably be wrong. My question has been how does the University treat these former players after they do leave and finish their college career somewhere else? Do you welcome them back for events the same as ones that finished here before going to NFL and/or graduating? How would you manage those distinctions?

Back to the thread topic - I'm happy to have someone from Washington and I wouldn't think Washington fans are screaming bloody murder for picking arch rival Florida. He's leaving a now uncertain situation with new head coach for one last ride and different experience in college. I'd hope Washington fans are happy for him like I'm happy for the bulk of our transfer-outs.

• Winner Winner x 2
  16. danmanne65

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    The muck. The swampy area around Lake Okeechobee . It was such an impoverished area that freaks were paying parents to let them f their kids. It and Haiti were areas where straight kids were getting aids without blood transfusions or iv drug usage.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. severnt

severnt Junior

Feb 2, 2012
    Should have read your reply first, you almost said the same thing I did and mentioned similar players. Most I'm happy for and happy for us in the trades!

18. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Played yes, but so did Jaden Robinson....Robinson even started one game

19. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    If I were betting then would guess Boone and Searcy/Sapp start at end,Kelby/Gumbs/Pyburn/Taylor/McRay all in the mix

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. garettk

garettk GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2008
    Mayo, FL
    Isn’t Boone considered DE?

• Agree Agree x 1