Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Article: Rob Sale Breaks Down His Offensive Line Unit Ahead of Fall Camp [UPDATE]

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by ETGator, Jul 31, 2023.

1. ETGator

ETGator Long-Time Gator Stuck In East Tennessee Moderator VIP Member

Sep 15, 2007
    [​IMG]

By: Nick Marcinko -- July 30, 2023

Gators’ assistant coach / offensive coordinator Rob Sale is tasked with rebuilding a Florida offensive line that lost a combined 125 career starts (transfer portal and NFL) throughout the offseason.

While that task seems daunting, Sale believes the change in culture during year two under Billy Napier will help to improve this team.

Rob Sale breaks down his offensive line unit ahead of fall camp | GatorCountry.com

• Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. Ahab

Ahab GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    We need some guys to get healthy and stay healthy! Is there any rumblings about when Mazzccua might be back? Game 1? 3? 5?

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Gel... is the key for these O-lineman. Can they gel in time for Utah? We shall see, I would not bet against it, especially after reading what Rob Sale had to say out his O-line room.

To me it sounds like we have at least 8 O-lineman ready maybe more by the time our first game roles around. I believe we are getting closer to the goal of at least 10 ready, plug and play, O-lineman that good teams need in the depth chart.

One more year of portal recruits, and a strong finish in the 2024 class, and we should have that room on a more stable ground. We can get to a reload goal with these coaches... I believe we can get there. But it will take some time. The sooner the better.

Getting and staying healthy is the key to a good or great year for that O-line room. Mertz will need them to gel right to get the positive results we need in this tough SEC football season. If we get the O-line "right" then we can let our crazy good running backs take the pressure off of our first year QB (first year in Gainesville, in a new system) to flourish. I can see that happening, I am cautiously optimistic.

• Like Like x 4
  4. ETGator

Sep 15, 2007
    I understood Marcuzza was ready for limited action as Fall Camp started today. I'm sure there are already Twitter reports out about him. Someone who saw it today gave a very positive report on him . . . which is great.

I expect he will be ready to play against Utah. Will he be back 100%? Doubtful, but who knows? Some said he wouldn't even play until October.

He will likely have to wear a ROM brace for a time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. ETGator

Sep 15, 2007
    As an update, since it will be on Twitter soon (if not already), Mazzccua was returned to practice at full strength today. He was working with the first team at RG.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. gatormonk

gatormonk GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    So Leonard is at left guard? Harris was also working there behind Mazzcua.

7. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007

Awesome news...

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Very good news.

Real gelling comes from the heat of battle.

If I'm Utah I'm coming fast and furious until Mertz makes me stop.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. ETGator

Sep 15, 2007
    Harris was at LG while Mazzccua was at RG. Leonard was not participating. LOTS of dings and black jerseys but most are moving well and doing well. Boardingham was looking better than expected today.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. gatormonk

gatormonk GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Waites apparently ready now, too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    I posted about Boardingham as one of the breakout/surprise players this coming season a couple of weeks ago... can't wait!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. ETGator

Sep 15, 2007
    Today is a closed scrimmage but Leonard was back (at LG).

The first team in one of the drills today from L to R was Austin Barber, Richie Leonard, Kingsley Eguakun, Micah Mazzccua, and Damieon George.

More probably coming later from Nick . . .

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2