Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Article: Napier two years in

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by 62gator, Jan 4, 2024.

1. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Then just fire the guy that gave out the 7 yr contract. :eek:

• Winner Winner x 6
  2. gatrfanzz

gatrfanzz GC Legend

I think the article is close to being right. The writer did mention that Bn needs to do something about his "obvious flaws" on offense and game management. I am for seeing if he is going to swallow his pride and take care of those two issues. I hope he does. I am tired of watching some of you having to follow the jet around every three years. lol

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Like I’ve been saying, that ridiculous contract and buyout was all Stricklin giving himself job security. He knows his job is tied to Napier’s performance.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    6-6 means a bowl game is coming. And that means it comes down to 7-6 or 6-7. I agree that one of those scenarios means Napier is looking for another job, but the other should mean a fourth season to show improvement.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    Swampville
    Its the very last sentence which is the giant elephant in the room... Lagway seems like a great kid but if next year we have the same offensive disorganization ...bad play calling..mismanagement of time and a 5 win season it will be a delicate time even if Lagway is handed the full time starting job the following year. Fire the coach and you may lose your star...keep the coach and he may want to go play for someone who can showcase his talents and not waste them throwing lateral passes behind the LOS. Not a great position to be in....but winning sure fixes everything.

6. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Drinkwitz
    Year 1 5-5
    Year 2 6-7
    Year 3 6-7
    Year 4 11-2

First 2 years similar to CBN. Would anyone here, even those with high standards, 'accept' another 6-7 season in CBN's year 3 if you knew Year 4 would be 11-2 including a bowl victory? (and maybe even inclusion in the field of 12 for the playoffs?

• Like Like x 2
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  7. novagator

novagator Junior

Jun 20, 2014
    I agree with all of that. But you forgot what I think is the most important thing. Game management and fundamentals. We couldn’t even get that right this year. I said this in another post. We lost at least 3 games to poor play calling and game mis management. If that happens again in year 3 we won’t hit any of your 6.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    Yep, the most inexcusable of which was Arkansas at the Swamp.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. CadGator

CadGator All American

Nov 17, 2008
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Exactly! My fear is he (lagway) doesn't feel like he is being mentored ( as well as other things you mentione) as he should be and decides his chance to make it in the NFL increases somewhere else.

10. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Lagway hasn't set foot on campus and people here 'worried' about him and the portal? Positive thinking and not worrying about things which may never happen and you don't have any control of is a much better formula for peace of mind and happiness!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Valid points. As much as I love Gator football and am very concerned about that program, my main focus now is on our basketball teams, then gymnastics which start next week, then baseball & softball in a little over a month. Go Gators!

12. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Not really your point but It will be interesting to see how Drink does next year. I'm betting on a significant step back, tho they do have one of the easier schedules next year.

As for the year 3/4 comparison, most of us can find stats to fit a narrative. I will take the Sark, Lanning, Deboer 3 year trend.:cool: trend.

13. rmonteag

rmonteag GC Hall of Fame

Jul 24, 2010
    Im good with Vandy academic standards..

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm sure if we release our HC after 3 years (him being one of 4), the next coach is going to demand a contract with at least as good or better buyout clause. There are no guarantees that the next coach will be better than any of the previous 4. Can we really afford to pay out 20+ million every 3 years to ex coaches in this day of the portal and NIL?

If it was my money to dole out, I would go with the Drink model and hope for the best.

I'm not impressed with the hiring process of Foley (post Meyer) and Strickland..
    IMO, the whole downward spiral started when Foley made the asinine move of hiring Chump. Meyer was an innovative coach, like SOS, bringing a new offense to the SEC. He built our team at that time for the spread. Foley hires a guy with no HC experience, who wanted to take the team built for the spread back to the 50's football.. Time of possession and ball control. Foley and Chump solidify this move by bringing in the Cheeseburger (who had a schematically superior cave man Offense :( ) and our fate was sealed. Since then, it's been a cluster f*ck of not digging deep into potential hires.

CBN has potential, and with the roughly 25.5 million buyout after 3 years.. He needs to be given every benefit of the doubt and hopefully he can 'right the ship'

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. ufstrong57

ufstrong57 Junior

Nov 13, 2023
    With BN coming from the sunbelt, only make 1 mil a year or so, no way do you elevate him to 7 mil a year with a 7 year contract. IMO SS blew this one big time. He allowed BN's agent to bend him over backwards.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  16. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    Strange world when a guy making 1 mil a year won’t take a job for 7 mil a year with a chance to prove themselves, without a failure bailout clause.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. nawlinsgator

nawlinsgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    You can find outliers to any observation. It doesn’t mean that it’s a good way to run your athletic program.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    I’ll be shocked if Lagway starts or emerges as starter (barring an injury to Mertz). But I can see the ‘hope of Lagway’ buying Billy a fourth year regardless of his record in 2024.

19. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Stricklin didn’t blow this. This was by design. Stricklin bought himself time.

• Agree Agree x 2