Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Article: Napier two years in

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by 62gator, Jan 4, 2024.

1. gatorwalrus

gatorwalrus GC Hall of Fame

Sep 24, 2022
    The argument of we can't get rid of him because then who would want the job is nonsense. If Napier has a 3rd losing season and is let go, there isn't a coach in the business that wouldn't understand why. He would depart with the worst winning % since Raymond Wolf in the 1940's, not counting interim coaches. So, for all the "historically UF is 7-5" BS he is well short of that benchmark. Heck, Napier could go undefeated in the SEC this year and still come up 2 wins short of Ron Zook's conference wins. I hate hearing the lower expectations talk. If we are lowering expectations, then what is the issue trying a new coach? If he can't get over .500 too, then that falls in line with the new expectations anyways right?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. terminator3

terminator3 Sophomore

Sep 27, 2014
    I do not need a refresher course. I was there. Along with thousands of others.

I love Spurs but I love the truth better.

3. terminator3

terminator3 Sophomore

Sep 27, 2014
    All of us overlook facts when we are trying to make a point. That is human nature. We let emotion rule us rather than reason.

• Like Like x 1
  4. terminator3

terminator3 Sophomore

Sep 27, 2014
    Could you be more specific? Name names.

Galen Hall got caught giving money to student athletes whose families were starving. That is about the only coach at UF who ever got caught giving money to students other than Pell.

5. terminator3

terminator3 Sophomore

Sep 27, 2014
    There is no possibly to it. Kiffen cheats at everything. he always has as far back as USC where they basically bought the West Coast.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2024
  6. terminator3

terminator3 Sophomore

Sep 27, 2014
    He goes much farther back than that. He has cheated ever since USC where they basically bought the West Coast twice. he got fired from USC as HC on the tarmac of LAX. The AD would not even let him back on campus.

Tenn., Ole Miss, USC (twice - as an assistant and a HC).

He has some real talent for coaching but that has never stopped him from tipping the scale.

But all of this is well known

And Napier's biggest mistakes has been lack of talent and youth. He started with us with lack of talent and a QB who only cared about himself. He is catching up though.

He may not make it but he is certainly not afraid of a challenge or a project.

Everyone wants to win but winning without cheating takes time and we have a person who will not cheat and that is what our admin wants.

I am no one important but Sasse and the admin only wants to win the right way.

So if you have any complaints address them to Dr. Sasse.

7. terminator3

terminator3 Sophomore

Sep 27, 2014
    All I can tell you is that the present admin at UF is not going to allow cheating.

8. nawlinsgator

nawlinsgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    I could certainly name a few, but it's not in UF's best interest to go into specifics. But if you think UF has been playing clean while the rest of the SEC is paying athletes, there is definitive proof that you are dead wrong.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. eightiesgator

eightiesgator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2017
    Thank you. In some folks' haste to blame it all on Muschamp, too many forget how decimated we were with injuries prior to that game. We were damned near pulling fans out of the stands. And while Muschamp was a mediocre head coach, his reputation as a great DC is damned secure.

And looking at Georgia Southern, they became G-5 the following year and had records of 9-3 and 9-4 their first two years. Games like this happen, and the reaction by the fans are dependent mostly on how loved or hated the head coach is.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  10. eightiesgator

eightiesgator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2017
    I was around back then and never heard this. What we all heard was that Galen gave Jarvis Williams $360 for a child support payment, and also paid coaching assistants out of his own pocket to subsidize their meager income. Never heard about giving players money whose families were starving, but as big-hearted as Galen was, it wouldn't have surprised me - or outraged me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  11. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Next man up only goes so far in college with a limited roster. The injuries that year were just incredible and that option offense was one of the worst things we could have had to prepare for at that time. Just another in a a long line of stunningly bad and unprecedented events starting with dunlaps DUI and Meyer's subsequent freak out, losing our starting qb against Bama and having to rely on two true freshman QBs, the 6 turnover Georgia game, Grier, etc etc etc.

The thing I fault muschamp the most for is leaving the spread when he had a roster poised for continued top 5 success. That right there did him in.

I always found the anger over Georgia Southern as well as the outrage over saying Easley "tweaked" his knee bizarre.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. terminator3

terminator3 Sophomore

Sep 27, 2014
    You are correct. Galen was a big hearted man who tried to help people.

Personally, I would probably have done the same thing. He had a very good team but got undone for old fashioned NCAA rules.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. terminator3

terminator3 Sophomore

Sep 27, 2014
    Good thoughts!

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    He was accused of giving money in an envelope to an Asst. Coach who was instructed to give it to a judge in Putnam County who had indicated that he was going to issue a warrant if the payment was not made. According to the Asst. Coach's testimony to the NCAA, he assumed it was money BUT he never looked in the envelope to verify that it was. To his dying day, Jarvis Williams said that the allegation was not true, even after he would have had no consequences for him to 'fess up. I'm going to choose to believe Williams on this one.

• Agree Agree x 1