Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Article: Gators Land Point Guard Urban Klavzar

Discussion in 'Nuttin but Net' started by ETGator, Jul 1, 2024.

1. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Urban not only looks a little like Jason Williams, some of his moves look like JWill's.

2. FranceGator

FranceGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Urban had a heck of a last 45 seconds. Up 2, he brings the ball up. Heavy pressure, keeps his handle, 5 seconds on shot clock, hits a 3.

Other end, sticks his nose into the pile for a rebound, gets fouled. Hits both FTs.

During handshake, Kajus jaws again with the player (perhaps responding, not starting) causing his teammate to start doing some pushing and a bit of a scrum.

Urban on offense had the Walter Clayton "run a hundred miles to get open for a pass" look. Similar on drives to basket.

Kajus looked a lot more like a ball distributor and handler. Though Urban's passing in first quarter had a Jason Williams look to it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. FranceGator

Apr 8, 2007
    Totally agree. Just the fast-twitch on every single thing. Plays with abandon. Has a big "watch-me" about him.

4. FranceGator

Apr 8, 2007
    Dear lord, I'm watching a Slovenia-Lithuania U20 FIBA game like it's the Zapruder film.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. GatorPlanet

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    There ain't no cure for the summertime blues.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    100 bonus points for FranceGator slipping a RFK assassination reference into a basketball thread.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. FranceGator

Apr 8, 2007
    Wrong K.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Sorry meant JFK. Have visited the site where shot supposedly was fired from. Happened when I was 2. Likely RFK Jr top of mind, as running as Independent currently

9. russ21

russ21 Premium Member

Dec 25, 2013

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    Certainly looks like a grown man

11. GatorMcCluskey

GatorMcCluskey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I thought Kublickas was a bit better overall than Klavzar for most of the game, up until KK got the tech with about five minutes left and his coach sat him the rest of the way. Lithuania was up 57-54 at that point and really missed his defense after that, he was very good staying in front of the Slovenian guards and caused a number of TOs and bad shots.

Urban has a beautiful jumper and quick release but struggled getting good looks - it looked like Lithuania had made him a defensive focus with lots of ball denial and face guarding, and Kublickas had a big part in that. UK was 2-8 shooting until his coach brought him off the bench with about 2:20 left in a one point game. But then in those two minutes he really turned it on and made a couple big-time baskets, some clutch FTs and ended up scoring 7 of Slovenia's last 11 to lead their game winning run.

lots of positive signs from both guys today.

• Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. BillyBall89

BillyBall89 GC Legend

My goodness. I could have not asked for a better player to fill the final slot and address the one nagging doubt I had about this team. Absolutely love that assist stat line.

This team 100% has final four potential now. End of story.

Welcome to the team Kalvzar! I hope to see what he can do opening day at the Odome because I will 100% be buying tickets to the first game.

• Like Like x 3
  13. GatorPlanet

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    There are several guys in that tape that look like high-major players to me, Klavzar and Kublickas being the best among them. But the bigs look like low-major or Division 2 stiffs. Not much skills there that I can see, although they're still young and have time to get better.
    I hope Kajus returns to UF: I honestly think he can play at our level although it might be difficult for him to crack the regular rotation this season. Klavzar... no worries about him. He's ready.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Klavzar had 2 assists. You might have read the rebound line. Klavzar looks like a good player, but the teams in this tournament would not be competitive in the SEC. The Gators lost Samuel, Pullin, Handlogten and Kugel from a team that finished 6th in the SEC and lost in the first round of the NCAA tournament. The incoming freshmen and transfers are viewed as somewhere in the middle of the pack at best among SEC teams. Can the Gators finish in the top five of the SEC this coming season? The answer probably is yes, but it likely will require our returning players to have improved quite a bit and for TG to get the team to really up its defensive game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. GatorPlanet

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    I agree on the teams in this tournament. They'd go 0-18 in the SEC, but not because of Klavzar.

16. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I agree, but I wouldn’t count on Klavzar being a game changer for the Gators this coming season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. GatorPlanet

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Maybe, maybe not, but he can play and he'll be in the rotation.
    We won't know until Chris Harry starts leaking info from fall practice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. russ21

russ21 Premium Member

Dec 25, 2013
    Two of the Lithuania starters play for Arizona, another one plays for the Manhattan Jaspers, and the rest are all in Europe systems

19. FranceGator

Apr 8, 2007
    Urban had a mixed bag in today’s blowout win over Iceland. Slovenia is 3-0 in their group, next play on Wednesday.

Lithuania plays in a couple of hours.

20. GratefulGator

GratefulGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 15, 2016
    Boulder Colorado
    Does anyone have a link to the box score?