Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Article: Florida Staying In The Mix For ’25 Cameron and Cayden Boozer

Discussion in 'Nuttin but Net' started by ETGator, Jul 17, 2024.

1. ETGator

ETGator Long-Time Gator Stuck In East Tennessee Moderator VIP Member

Sep 15, 2007
    [​IMG]

By: Eric Fawcett -- July 17, 2024

As we speak, Nike’s Peach Jam is going on in Augusta, Georgia.

For those of you who might not know, the Peach Jam is one of the biggest events on the high school recruiting calendar–a convergence of the best teams on the Nike grassroots circuit. This is a great opportunity for players to showcase their abilities against some of the best competition they will see all year, and a chance for coaches to be visual and put the full court press on the recruits they are hoping to land.

It’s also an opportunity for people to talk, and for word about various recruitments to spread.

Florida Staying In The Mix For ’25 Cameron and Cayden Boozer | GatorCountry.com

• Like Like x 7
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Would be massive if Florida could pull this off.

3. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    I'm not sure it's worth the effort and the price to go after the 5-stars any more. You pay them a ton of NIL $$, and maybe they shine and maybe they don't. And they all come in with the plan to leave after just one season. The ones that DO shine don't usually do so until late in the season. It might just be smarter to build with 3-and-4-star high-schoolers you can develop, and with good midmajor transfers who can play right away.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Or top International talent now that sport exploding globally. NBA draft the past two years is telling

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Valid point.

6. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Could be true but…this was the same for most 5 star one and dones prior to NIL. Schools were paying them huge sums (under the table) and some worked out and some didn’t. But to win an ncaa title you need legit nba ballers on the team and the #1 player in high school is often a legit nba talent. Worth the upside (of someone else’s money) to me. lol

plus, you sign the #1 player - especially a known name like the Boozers- will get you in more prime tv matchups, bring the program extra pub, and will draw more elite talent in following classes.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah for a young coach trying to establish credibility nationally, landing a guy like this changes the whole perception of him and the program. It’s worth the effort, even seeing our name in his last four or five helps.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. ridgetop

ridgetop GC Hall of Fame

Aug 4, 2020
    Top of the ridge
    Billy brought in Miller. Huge get and changed the perspective of BD and the whole program.
    Bringing in the Boozers will do the same for TG.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    The actual huge get was Teddy Dupay, who committed very early on. That led to opening the door for the Gators to get Udonis, Miller and other top high school players.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ridgetop

ridgetop GC Hall of Fame

Aug 4, 2020
    Top of the ridge
    Yeah
    But Teddy and Graham were Florida boys. Miller was that big out of state five star reach. BD was as the first one in the gym with Miller. Made him priority number 1.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    I get your point, but I don’t believe that there was any chance that the Gators would have gotten Miller without the earlier commitment from Dupay.

12. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    You might be right but having JWill might have been a bigger deal.

13. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I used to think recruiting in the 50-100 range was perfect for us, especially in the “one and done” era. But nowadays with the portal you can always plug holes in a roster, and lately we’ve done really well with multi-year transfers AND one and done transfers (not NBA one and done, just “remaining eligibility” one and done).

With the portal, there’s really no downside to going after some legit NBA 1 and dones. At least the ones that have the right attitude. I wouldn’t make it the focus of recruiting or anything, but if you have a chance to get the projected #2 player in the class of course you go for it. The twin that is a smaller guard you would hope is more flexible about maybe sticking around more than 1 year.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Give me a Bradley Beal any time.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Miller was the initial huge get that had all the blue bloods at KS and UNC putting our rumors of Billy cheating. Then came all the other highly regarded national recruits in Donnell Harvey, David Lee, James White, Kwame Brown, ….. when you can pull from outside the State, you have a chance to compete for titles

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    I am standing behind the big get being Teddy Dupay. I doubt that we would have signed Miller, Haslem and other big names without the earlier commitment from Teddy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    absolutely. It's not uncommon for half a roster to change each year, if he is an impact player and can help us win, then there's no difference between a one and done and a graduate transfer - which we've had great success with overall. Each season is its own campaign now more than ever. It's important to have development players that stick around but in this current mercenary NCAA environment you take anyone you can to help you win. Few of us if any were bothered with Tyrese or Pullin playing only one year for us (or Canyon Barry etc) - why should a one and done be any different

Last edited: Aug 3, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. wolvereyn

wolvereyn Freshman

Mar 17, 2024
    Hope We can close CJ Ingram early so the Boozers can be a sole focus. This could be the biggest class in his career as a coach. Future is bright either way.

• Like Like x 1
  19. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area
    Agreed! I actually wish he'd been a little more "selfish" in the way he played for us (and in the way he plays for the Suns now for that matter).