Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Article: Fall Camp Preview: Breaking Down Florida’s Running Back Room

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by ETGator, Jul 25, 2024.

1. ETGator

ETGator Long-Time Gator Stuck In East Tennessee Moderator VIP Member

Sep 15, 2007
    [​IMG]

By: Gentry Hawk -- July 25, 2024

Despite the departure of Trevor Etienne in December of last year, Florida’s running back room should take no steps back with a group that arguably has more talent and depth than it did last season. The Gators hold a total of six scholarship running backs compared to last year’s total of five that included an injured Cam Carroll.

With just five weeks now until Florida faces Miami in the Swamp, I breakdown Florida’s running back room that consists of a returning starter, two talented freshmen and several other reliable options.

Fall Camp Preview: Breaking Down Florida’s Running Back Room | GatorCountry.com

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
  2. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Thank you for that link, ET. I feel sorry for Cam Carroll... he never got to be that power-back last year when he was healthy, now he's almost an afterthought. There is some real talent in that running backs room, and I and psyched that we finally look like we have an SEC ready room to compete with any team we face. Juluke has done a great job as their coach, and he's been good at getting them ready to play.

We all know what Montrell can and will do, but I'm looking forward to seeing who else makes some big-boy moves in the room. My eyes are on Jadan Baugh… but there are some others that have very good stats that might make some noise too. Treyaun Webb and K.D. Daniels look to take some snaps this coming season too.

I hope one of them is faster than advertised… need that Jeff Demps speed. However, I'll settle for that depth at power back we so desperately require. It's going to be a fun year for that group, and I will enjoy watching them play…

Last edited: Jul 26, 2024
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. StrangeGator

StrangeGator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Daniels is really fast but there will never be a UF running back as fast as Demps.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. garettk

garettk GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2008
    Mayo, FL
    Bo Carroll politely asks you to hold his beer.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    I hope Carroll is healthy and can get some chances.

Really excited about all the guys and having REAL competition at the position,and several others. A true sign the program is getting rebuilt.

Also excited about Wilson and a few other speedsters getting the ball in the backfield to keep defenses spinning. Lagway also.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. 2oldgator

2oldgator GC Legend

Jul 14, 2021
    Dunnellon fl
    We are deeper at running back than I can ever remember. CBN must be feeling like a kid in a candy shop: so many options.
    I hope Cam Carroll can get some playing time. He caught a tough break with the injury. Last year he would have almost certainly seen playing time, but he might not get a lot of snaps this season. We will see.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    I'll settle for just fast enough to take it to the house on any given play. :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. 2oldgator

2oldgator GC Legend

Jul 14, 2021
    Dunnellon fl
    I thought John Capel had a slightly better time than Demps in the 100 meters. Could be wrong. Demps was definitely the more accomplished footballer at UF of the two.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2024
  9. GatorDoc74

GatorDoc74 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    If history is any guide, we will have at least one running back who is injured for part or all of the season. That's true of most teams. It's nice having this much quality depth.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Wasn't the posted article about our tight ends?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  11. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    Montrell Johnson... Treyuan Webb... Jadan Baugh? Those are only three of our running backs that were mentioned in the posted article above.

12. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    And John Capel...

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. garettk

garettk GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2008
    Mayo, FL
    Oh yeah. Forgot about Capel.

14. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    We are sandbagging.

Does anyone know if Cam Carroll is healthy, practicing, getting good reps?

15. 2oldgator

2oldgator GC Legend

Jul 14, 2021
    Dunnellon fl
    Couldn’t figure out why you were laughing at me Garettk, but I checked and my memory is once again laughingly incorrect: Capel was chiefly a W/R. Demps is listed as ATHLETE his freshman year but RB after that.

16. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    UF at Lsu. Lsu kicks off. Bo Carroll returns it up the sideline and is burning it. Capel appears on tv screen and catches up to Bo in the endzone. Now Bo had the ball in his arm which will slow him down, but the visual of Capel from nowhere to there was amazing.

Capel was the fastest in my memory. UF burners on offense, per my memory, include Percy Harvin, Bo Carroll, Chris Rainey, Jeff Demps (remember the O&B fright wig he wore on signing day?), Jimmy Jordan, Willie Wilder.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. garettk

garettk GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2008
    Mayo, FL
    I was laughing because this is fun. I honestly didn’t remember Capel being a WR

18. ces1948

ces1948 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    We had a guy in the 70's first name Houston who I believe was a world-class sprinter. I don't recall his full name.
    And what about the kid from Lakeland whose name also escapes me? I know Harvin was also very fast but I do recall seeing him caught from behind a couple of times.

19. eightiesgator

eightiesgator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2017
    When did this idea of assigning players by "rooms" become a thing? The Running Back Room? Lol...

20. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    The season is not going to turn on our RB's. They are solid. As is the QB position and WR and maybe DB although that's debatable. OL, DL and LB is where we will sink or swim. So they should do those "rooms" next.

• Winner Winner x 1