Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Article: Austin Armstrong’s High Energy Standing Out In Fall Camp

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by ETGator, Aug 9, 2023.

1. ETGator

ETGator Long-Time Gator Stuck In East Tennessee Moderator VIP Member

Sep 15, 2007
    [​IMG]

By: Nick Marcinko -- August 8, 2023

After ranking 87th in points allowed per game and 91st in yards allowed per game a year ago, the Gators’ defense will look to make significant strides under newly hired defensive coordinator Austin Armstrong in 2023.

When Armstrong was officially hired by Florida on February 27th, 2023, the 29-year-old became the youngest power five defensive coordinator in college football. Not only did the Gators get a new face in the building after Patrick Toney’s departure to the NFL, but a newfound energy on the football field.

Austin Armstrong’s high energy standing out in fall camp | GatorCountry.com

• Like Like x 5
  2. malscott

malscott GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    Thanks, ET.

I'm really excited to see how his energy and coaching transforms the defense this year. I suppose I have a few concerns, and as a result I govern my optimism at least a little. Smidge of devil's advocate thinking here.

How can you not like this guy Armstrong? High energy, young- it's like he's been shot out of a cannon. But... I keep hearing quotes from the players describing him as very similar to Toney. Now if one reviews Toney's record, it was a bit dismall. But was that as a result of our players, it being his first year here, or was it his coaching? And, to further confuse the evaluation process he then gets snagged by the NFL.

All indicators point to us having an improved defense this year. Great line. Great linebackers. Edge guys. Defensive backs. Supposedly, we will now attack more. I like that. Grantham attacked, I didn't like how that turned out. With Grantham I often thought if we stayed on the sideline there was a higher probability of success.

Being the impatient optimist I am, gives me no choice but to wait. Although, one thing is certain, the energy is already much more positive and that alone gives me hope. But in my quiet time (my mind is never quiet) it searches for answers. Is this all secret double reverse deceptive mojo, or is a significant shift being implemented?

One would have to think some disguised attacks will be a part of his defensive scheme. My knowledge of football is admittedly pretty minimal. The only thing I know is when the scoreboard has a bigger number for the good guys I get pretty animated and loud!

Here's to the Gators producing big numbers on the scoreboard.:cool:

It's great to-be a Florida Gator.;)

Go Gators.:eek:

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    The defense will play with the same level of enthusiasm as Austin Armstrong coaches. I've seen this dozens of times in the past. I hope we practice in the hurry-up all practice long. We can always slow it down in the games, but revving it up, when you're not used to it, is very difficult.

It's impossible to think that we won't be much better than last year on defense. Just how much better will be the surprise. I expect the defense to look and play like an entirely different team than what we saw last year in a Gator uniform.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  4. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Fundamentals, discipline, effort, intelligence... The cornerstones of a good team. We haven't had all 4 for at once for a very long time.

We're making progress. To be great we have to add many other elements such as desire, speed, attitude, toughness, pride, togetherness, efficiency, confidence, precision....

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1