Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Article: Aidan Mizell Steps Up At Receiver With Eugene Wilson Sidelined

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by ETGator, Sep 22, 2024 at 10:36 AM.

1. ETGator

ETGator Long-Time Gator Stuck In East Tennessee Moderator VIP Member

Sep 15, 2007
    upload_2024-9-22_10-34-12.jpeg

By: Nick Marcinko -- September 21, 2024

Redshirt freshman wide receiver Aidan Mizell stepped up for Florida in week four with star receiver Eugene Wilson sidelined due to an injury. The 6’1.5, 186-pound receiver hauled in a team high five receptions for 36 yards in the Gators’ 45-28 victory over Mississippi State. While that stat line isn’t jaw-dropping, Mizell had an incredible 65-yard touchdown called back after a horrific ‘blindside block’ penalty on running back Montrell Johnson.

Aidan Mizell steps up at receiver with Eugene Wilson sidelined | GatorCountry.com

PS -- i'm posting from the Virginia state line at a travel ball tournament in case I messed anything up.

• Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  2. doctorg8r

doctorg8r GC Hall of Fame

Dec 11, 2018
    You did fine, ET!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    "Horrific blindside block penalty?" Maybe he meant to write horrific CALL of a blind side block. We all saw that block and even though I was distracted, and simply believed the game broadcasters.

I later reviewed that play and could NOT see any way that call should have ever been made in the first place. That was a totally legit block.

You be the judge.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2024 at 2:08 PM
    • Agree Agree x 5
  4. hawaiigator

hawaiigator GC Legend

Sep 9, 2018
    Agree. They were running at and looking at eachother. Can’t call it blind side when it’s right in front of you!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Terrible call. The refs seemed to start out legit. Then later, when it started looking like we could win the game, the bad refs showed up. Several bad calls in the 2nd half seemed one-sided.

But interesting question here on DJ’s fumble into the end zone: replay showed he lost the ball around the 1 yard marker and then we recovered it in the end zone — isn’t it illegal to fumble forward into the end zone? I know they established a rule like that when Kenny Stabler intentionally did that to beat the Dolphins in an AFC Championship game — does that also apply in college ball?

6. gators1994

gators1994 Sophomore

Sep 10, 2024
    Just think if we have Wilson, mizell, and badger with DJ throwing bombs. If we only had some offensive line play. A good coach could do something with that.