Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Article: 2024 Florida Should Be Improved Due To Having More Talent, Potential Draft Picks

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by ETGator, Jun 22, 2024 at 8:40 AM.

1. ETGator

ETGator Long-Time Gator Stuck In East Tennessee Moderator VIP Member

Sep 15, 2007
    [​IMG]

By: David Wunderlich -- June 21, 2024

Somewhat lost in all the talk about the difficulty of Florida’s 2024 schedule is just how improved the roster is.

UF only had one draft pick last year, an unusually low number for the program, but a similar number won’t be repeated for some time. There is a lot of potential pro talent on the team right now.

I went through and found a whopping 14 players who, if they have a good showing in 2024, I think could hear their names called in 2025. To be clear, I’m not predicting the Gators to have 14 selections. I am saying that I have a list of 14 players who could earn draft spots. Only a subset of them will be taken, as some will not quite perform well enough, or get hurt, or not have a team fall in love with them, or whatever other reason a guy ends up a UDFA.

2024 Florida should be improved due to having more talent, potential draft picks | GatorCountry.com

• Like Like x 5
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  2. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Florida was in a dicey place talent-wise the past couple of seasons, as guys who were bad fits, had bad attitudes, or were allergic to fundamentals like tackling played a lot because there weren’t enough good alternatives. The Gators still aren’t back to where they were in their heyday, as many of the players I listed above are more back-half of the draft types than possible first or second rounders.

Still, a back-half of the draft prospect is still better than much of what they’ve had in recent seasons. There isn’t a single position on the field that lacks a potential prospect for the next two drafts. Florida should be a visibly improved team regardless of what happens with the schedule from hell because there are so many more good players everywhere.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Lot to fix on D. Slow Safeties, low number of interceptions and not much QB pressure or sacks last year. Hard getting off field. Will portal additions have an immediate impact?

4. StrangeGator

StrangeGator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    I think safety is one of the strongest positions with all the transfers, some of them bringing some speed. Better, healthier at LB with the addition of Howard and a healthy James. Added a lot of talent up front and some young guys should be progressing. Not sure about the pass rush. Searcy is very promising but there are some serious questions regarding scheme.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    Hard to argue with this article. Senior day was pathetic the last two years from a “we’ll be seeing them on Sundays POV. Senior day in 2021 wasn’t pathetic, but it was still pretty bad.

6. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Our season goes as our fundamentals go... If we learned the simple things like blocking and tackling in open space we will indeed be a better team with far better overall talent... with several talented players having one more year of experience in Napier's system... and better coaches on the defensive side of the ball.

Adding to that... all the good transfers with great experience into the mix and I am confident that the Gators will look much more like a team than they did last year. Teamwork is the key to this season. Fundamentals are a key too.

Talent will not be a problem for this season's team, I just hope we have enough quality depth to get through this grueling schedule.

Are we there yet? I can't wait to find out...

Last edited: Jun 23, 2024 at 9:28 AM
    • Like Like x 1
  7. cheatng8tr

cheatng8tr Junior

Dec 10, 2021
    One of the most encouraging things I saw during the spring game was DBs and Safeties challenging throws to receivers. I hope it was because they improved in their techniques and recognition as opposed to lack of talent in the receiving corps.

• Agree Agree x 3