Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Anthony Richardson should be the #1 pick in the NFL draft...

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by doeringmortgage, Dec 17, 2022.

1. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    I don't think it's impossible for AR being drafted in the first round, I do think it's impossible he goes #1 as has been posted.

2. nawlinsgator

nawlinsgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Well, you were replying to a post from me that said Kiper had him going 9th. That's not that far-fetched.
    But no, I wouldn't take AR #1 either.

3. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    That's about right for Torrence. It's not a knock on him. Top tackles always go before guards . He will be the first guard off the board. Every mock draft has him 18-24.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    I agree with you, but I’m still rooting for him to be a first rounder and even better the first pick. It will only help our brand in the long run.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  6. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I am sure there are going to be plenty of "fans" who deride him for not giving us our requisite pound of flesh before he moved on. But to me, it is mainly about trying to find some sense of sanity in the NFL than worrying about what he did not accomplish at UF. If he turns out to be one of the "Big 4" QB draftees, then we can safely say that the NFL is in the CYO/massive amnesia mode. Good for him, at least for his first contract.

7. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    I wouldn’t call it amnesia mode. I think there will be quite a few NFL GMs that will fall in love with his raw talent and value him highly based on potential. He’s still a very raw prospect with very little starting experience.

8. Gatorborn

Gatorborn GC Legend

Jul 11, 2014
    South Carolina
    I am sure that there will be at least one GM that is convinced his staff has a better chance of coaching AR to be more consistent
    than they have of coaching Young to be 6'4". ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Tampa, FL

• Like Like x 2
  10. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    That can be said of any QB. That's the issue here. AR has potential but if you don't have it going to the NFL, there's a 99.8% chance you will fail. He has one measly season under his belt and he was mostly awful. If potential is the word here, Franks should be the GOAT by now. Franks had an NFL arm, proved it more often than not, was even faster than AR but lacked the one thing that AR lacks, the ability to read defenses fast enough. Forget his ability to run, it will make no difference in the NFL. AR's issue as a running QB is he's slow to start. Defenses won't give him the time to motor into high gear. Yes he's amazingly fast once gets going, but he usually needs at least 5 to 10 yards to get into gear. AR's kryptonite is his penchant for getting injured. He's been injured in almost every game he played in except for the Utah game. I think this is the one thing everyone isn't taking a look at - injury prone.

11. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    He was about the 30th best QB last year. Not awful. Not mostly awful. He was our 2nd best QB since Tebow

Also AR actually reads the field well. That has never been his problem.

AR is a million times superior than Franks as a prospect. And he easily outperformed Franks on the field. That’s just pure revisionist history

AR has issues, particularly around short ball accuracy. And all first round QBs (well all first rounders in general) have high failure rates. So he’s likely to flame out

Personally I’d take AR 1OA. He has the highest HOF chance in the QB class. Young has a much higher floor, and a higher probability of being good. But shooting for the moon is the proper draft strategy

Interestingly I think our Torrence (OG) has the greatest probability of being a legit perennial all pro than anyone in the draft. He’s hurt by positional value but anyone taking him after the 10th or so pick won’t regret it

12. chuikov

chuikov VIP Member

Jan 2, 2021
    Now a days it is offense that wins Championships Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Hurts… maybe AR

13. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    Swampville
    2nd best QB after Tebow...lol...that bar is awfully damn low the last decade. I say that with great discomfort.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Franks was a slug compared to AR, faster than AR…. No

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. gatorempire

gatorempire GC Legend

Jul 23, 2021
    Yeah, although I'm not sure I can confidently fanboy myself into saying his play last year was the 2nd best since Tebow (assuredly behind Trask). I could make a strong argument that Franks' 2018 was better, too. As maligned as Emory was last year, statistically he has AR beat in most metrics.

Last year was ... pretty pedestrian, stats-wise.

Among starters since Tebow left, AR's 26 total TDs ranks #5. 131 passer efficiency ranks #6. 2:1 TD:INT ratio ranks #4. 654 rushing yards ranks #2. Did he throttle the stats of the Morningweg, Harris, Del Rio & Applebee years? Yeah, but like you said, low bar.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    AR has a ton of upside but last year he was not a very good qb. He has a long way to go but the physical tools are there. To me though, physical tools are a distant second . There are plenty of athletes that will never be too qbs. The mental side of the game is what separates a qb, all the qbs on nfl rosters have enough physical attributes to be successful. They don’t become all pro when they learn to run faster and throw harder. To me , tge combine can be very misleading and there’s no test you can give to foreshadow that Jalen Hurts will improve each year as he has. To me, he looks like he is still learning and improving every year.

17. gatorPUNX

gatorPUNX GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I find it absolutely hilarious that us Gator fans, who watched him play all year through the ups and downs, seem like the only ones who are tempering expectations for him in the NFL.

AR's highlight reel over 2 years is phenomenal, just absolutely incredible what he is capable of doing.

All the plays in between his lightning strike plays were mostly just frustrating to watch how the offense operated.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. always_and_forever_uf

always_and_forever_uf GC Legend

Jun 20, 2022
    "IF" AR can (1) stay healthy and (2) thrive as a pocket QB when the NFL spy locks him down all game, then we have liftoff. And a liftoff the likes of which no one has ever seen.

• Like Like x 1
  19. gatorempire

gatorempire GC Legend

Jul 23, 2021
    We're not the only ones. It's very common outside of actual draft circles.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    We saw it as a whole and not just a highlight reel.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1