Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Anthony Richardson should be the #1 pick in the NFL draft...

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by doeringmortgage, Dec 17, 2022.

1. Gatorborn

Gatorborn GC Legend

Jul 11, 2014
    South Carolina
    As a Gator fan I worry that if he is still around when the Bucs pick it would be the end of the Trask experiment.
    While I love everything that Trask did for the Gators, I think that he was already near his ceiling.
    Like it or not, 1st round qb drafts are about chasing a dream.

As a side note Wanne15, what do you think of all these people jumping on Bryce Young as #1? I think he has the skill set, but I also think his body won't stand up to more than 3 years in the league. I'll be very interested to see his accurate height and weight measurements at the combine.

2. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    Agree he needs time and everything you say.
    I don’t know which team fits best but imo he needs
    1). At least 2 years with a teaching coach.
    2). A team that is not desperate.
    3). A small nfl market with friendly media.
    The panthers are disqualified on points 1 and 2.
    Imo he will get picked high, play too early, play poorly, become a team’s scapegoat, and flounder. He seems really immature and doesn’t realize the nfl is a very hard world.
    He really should have come back but that ship has sailed.

3. chuikov

chuikov VIP Member

Jan 2, 2021
    He spent ONE season as a starter not 2, 3 and his weapons were in the backfield with him whom he handed the ball not throw it. So after 2 years in the league then check the investment. I for one feel the opposite, that AR will thrive on the league. Coaching does wonders even for the challenged.

4. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    If he plays like Brady without contact, he will be fine. If he plays like Tua and try’s to extend every play, he’s going to get crushed.

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  5. Gatorborn

Gatorborn GC Legend

Jul 11, 2014
    South Carolina
    So your happy with Sam Darnold?
    5/15 for 43 yards and 2 ints?

6. Distant Gator

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    Not at all.
    But what was AR vs Kentucky? Almost as bad.
    And the nfl is harder than Kentucky.
    I’d rather the panthers take a solid prospect and not a project.

7. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    Looks like the Trask experiment isn’t working for the Bucs. I wouldn’t be shocked at all if he’s released

8. KronoGator

KronoGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Shame Trask landed there, never really had a shot.

9. Gatorborn

Gatorborn GC Legend

Jul 11, 2014
    South Carolina
    The NFL is harder than Kentucky and his supporting cast at any NFL team will be much better than he had all season.

10. doeringmortgage

doeringmortgage Junior

Sep 24, 2022
    Micanopy
    He'll be a star in the NFL.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Word from my source is that the Panthers are very interested indeed.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I see that many here are assessing Richardson based on their frustration that we didn't get benefits of his talent.

That's the way it goes sometimes. NFL GM's and PPD don't care if he won games for the Gators, they only care about what they think he can do for them.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Surrounded with talent and right offensive system and he could be really good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    You said it. About supporting cast and offense he is in. With an offense that throws to backs and tight ends he could excel.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    He “could” be but he’s not. Drafting on potential is just nuts to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Have ym you seen him throw short passes ?

17. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 23, 2014
    That is a bet I’d take. NFL drafts on physical measurables because they don’t get blamed for saying “he is 6’4”, 230,, runs a 4.4, etc”. But… not convinced qbs fit that narrative. Smart and confident leader matters as much. And running qbs get injured no matter their size. I have seen zero from AR that leads to concluding he is an elite qb mind or leader, and just like elite athleticism, an elite (quick, agile) mind and leadership are not coached. They can be improved for anyone, but just like you can’t coach a 4.3 40, you can’t coach a 4.3 QB brain.

Would be happy to be wrong.

• Winner Winner x 2
  18. Distant Gator

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    While obviously his supporting cast will be better, the QB position has to be able to read a defense at the LOS.

The NFL defenses are far more advanced in coverages, etc than the SEC- and especially more advanced than Kentucky!
    That's what I was saying- and if the kid can't solve the Kentucky D how will he solve NFL defenses.
    IF the Kentucky D completely and totally fooled him into making bad read and bad play decisions over and over, then the NFL will be a nightmare.

If you go back and watch our games, AR missed reads so many times- ignoring the open RB or WR and forcing it into triple coverage.

JaMarcus Russell is a great example of a very gifted QB who could not read defenses, but there are many.

IMO AR will be similar- but we will see.

19. Gatorborn

Gatorborn GC Legend

Jul 11, 2014
    South Carolina
    I went back and watched the condensed Kentucky game, it was a mixed bag.
    There were some bad passes, some dropped balls, a lot of Kentucky players in our backfield about the same time AR got the ball, a low shot on AR in the first possession that wasn't called. Also 2 picks, 1st one was great play by the defensive player on a pass that you would have complained was thrown too hard, but he managed to hold onto it. The second one could have been a missed read by AR or it could have been a misread by the receiver.

On the other side, Levis did get the roughing call that AR did not get. One of his receivers got a TD off winning a jump ball and another got one off a tipped pass. Our defense got some good pressure on Levis in the first half not as much in the second. All game seemed like he either got sacked or had all day to find someone.

One or two breaks going the other way would have made the difference.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Distant Gator

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    Good review! Thank you!
    While we should have overcome them, we did get bad breaks in the Vandy and UK games.
    AR didn't play well in the UK game, but he def. played well enough to beat Vandy. (Though it could have been better.)

I just think AR should have stayed another year and has set himself up for failure in the NFL by jumping too early.
    But I also know much depends on what team drafts him, and how soon he is thrown into the fire.