Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Anthony Richardson Player's Tribune article: "Dear NFL GM's"

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by bobbybaker86, Apr 13, 2023.

1. LS1

LS1 All American

Sep 9, 2015
    Marysville, OH
    See below. Care to elaborate?

[​IMG]

2. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    That's not a question, though. Me elaborating won't change the trajectory of this discussion, the narratives for each Gator player are already set in stone and there's no changing them.

3. LS1

LS1 All American

Sep 9, 2015
    Marysville, OH
    What? :confused:

OK, you got me, you didn't ask a question. But clearly you're alluding to something other than what I suggested. If your theory is different than mine, I would love to hear it.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    We’ve had plenty of winning records with QBs way
    He was good, not great. He has the potential to be an All Pro. So on that basis he underachieved. That is fair to say. But we shouldn’t blame the underachievement on made up character flaws. There are tangible things. AR is inexperienced. AR is inconsistent on short passes. Napiers passing offense is antiquated. Those things are real. Saying “he didn’t try” is just made up.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Matthanuf06

Sep 13, 2007
    We’ve had players that overachieved, stayed longer, and won. Of course the staying longer is at part a function of not being major NFL material.

I don’t expect AR to be loved. He was our 2nd best QB in 14 years in an era of awful QB play, he started 1 year, was just “good” and won nothing. He won’t be in Gator lore. But that doesn’t mean we should personally attack the guy.

In a different world he starts 2 years with a better team around him…the experience helps hit his potential, and we win a title.

Unfortunately we had a checked out Mullen and an awful team around him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. volungator

volungator All American

AR is gifted athletically. He's NOT a QB. Yes, he's occupied the position, but doing so does not make a QB. Save me the great game stats. Great QB's have horrible games and horrible QB's sometimes succeed despite themselves.

7. ETGator

ETGator Long-Time Gator Stuck In East Tennessee Moderator VIP Member

Sep 15, 2007
    So then you think your guy, Hooker, should be drafted higher than AR?

8. LS1

LS1 All American

Sep 9, 2015
    Marysville, OH
    I agree. I'm just explaining why many opinions and criticisms of Richardson are justified. Trying to defend AR by comparing him to Trask or Tebow or whoever is silly. "Fans wouldn't say THAT about Tebow!" Yeah, no shit they wouldn't.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Tebow won the heisman as a true sophmores and he wasn’t an nfl qb so much. we would’ve had a winning record if he just beat Vanderbilt and Kentucky and that’s still nothing to brag about at all winning eight games at Florida is a failure. I realize it’s not his fault that our defense was terrible but we still should’ve been able to win a couple more games.
    I don’t really count the 30th ranked quarterback in college as a good quarterback. That’s an average SEC quarterback so I would say he’s play on the field was average., not bad not good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. volungator

volungator All American

AR singlehandedly lost the UK game. He threw two interceptions that were horrific.

11. volungator

volungator All American

My guys play in orange and blue. I'm 80% Gators and 20% Volunteer.
    I've never cheered against my Gators against ANYONE!

Having said that, yes I'd draft Hooker over AR. In fact, I'd not draft AR. In my opinion, AR has BUST written all over him. For perspective, I said the same thing about Heath Shuler back in 1993.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    If not for Hookers injury, I’d say his floor is already much higher.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. ETGator

ETGator Long-Time Gator Stuck In East Tennessee Moderator VIP Member

Sep 15, 2007
    Well, bless your heart then because I admit I couldn't do it. I tend to agree with your assessment of AR but I'm almost positive we'll be proven wrong on April 27th. BTW, not that I wouldn't draft him but it would be Round 2.

I agree with this about the floor but from what I've read they look as much, if not more, at the ceiling (which I don't see how can be measured with just a single year as a starter). As between the first 2 this year they're looking at the floor but after that it's the ceiling? LOL! :)

14. Gatorborn

Gatorborn GC Legend

Jul 11, 2014
    South Carolina
    It really hurts to say this....but man if John Reaves had just been able to stay off the nose candy:(

15. Matthanuf06

Sep 13, 2007
    Problem is how many players did we have that were top 30-40 at their position?

On O: AR, Torrence, the combined RBs, and who? You can debate the entire OL being top 30. WRs and TEs won’t remotely close

On D: Dexter then who else? Maybe a couple guys are close

So while AR wasn’t good enough he wasn’t close to our main problems. It’s a lot tougher to go from top 30-40 to top 5 then 100th to 30th.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Matthanuf06

Sep 13, 2007
    Ceiling is far more important….and even more at QB. A decent floor can lock you in QB purgatory.

AR being great or a bust is a strong proposition for a team as the odds of being “stuck” is low

Hooker may have a capable backup floor vs AR being out of the league in 3 years…but any team can sign a capable backup at anytime.

17. orangeblue_coop

Nov 19, 2016
    The people who initially invoked Trask and Tebow’s name in this thread and in other threads about AR don’t do it to defend AR. I mean, how many different times do we need to be reminded that AR isn’t Tebow or Trask

18. orangeblue_coop

Nov 19, 2016
    Not many. Yet for some reason, folks are absolutely flabbergasted that a team that was painfully average at just about every position only managed to win 6 games.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    We sucked and we weren’t even ranked. The team as a whole was just bad. He was definitely one of our best players but we were historically bad.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Hooker is definitely not locked into being a backup. The kid has a shot to be good.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1