Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Another UGA Arrest - Rara Thomas - Cruelty to Children

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by hhpgator, Jul 26, 2024.

1. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    This has been hijacked to say the least so to go along with the academics/ athletics angle...
    I just read that our new commit VB3 has a 4.91 gpa in high school.
    I think DJ Lagway is also pretty intelligent though I don't know his grades.
    There's 2 guys who will not be in the "rocks for jocks" track...

If memory serves we've had a number of pretty intelligent guys with decent majors at UF.
    Football, but other sports too.
    Canyon Berry is one from roundball.

Having said that- I fully realize you can't field an SEC level football team with them.
    You need "football player majors" which have a lot of athletes but have a lot of "regular students" as well.

Can we get back to bashing UGA again though??

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. lifetimeg8r

lifetimeg8r All American

Jan 18, 2008
    The real question is what does Deion think about this travesty?

• Funny Funny x 4
  3. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Of course I know the answer, as do you, except you're being purposely obtuse. You seem to be hung up on some archaic "institutional standard" in a completely different era of competition and won't admit that UF has already significantly loosened its "standards" so that elite athletes can attend.

Additionally, nobody said anything about academic basket cases, previous regime wash-outs, and NCAA violations. Those are straw-men you set up. Most people are aware that UF might have a bit higher standard for its athletes than some of its other SEC brethren and I have no idea how you made the leap from the topic to 1980's era cheating scandals and Dan Mullen malcontents.

4. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    You'll have to tell that to my college calculus teacher...thank God for that curve and the poor saps that were behind me in that respect.

5. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Absolutely, Brother....we were beginning to sound like a bunch of Vandy fans up in here (sorry bunch is probably a misnomer).

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    You misunderstood me. The top score in my first calculus class was 77. The professor said nobody scores 100 on her tests. I’m saying the football players are not in this class. They are in classes where normal students make 100 on every single test.

7. lizardbreath

lizardbreath GC Hall of Fame

Aug 30, 2017
    Pace, FL
    You specifically referred to lowering unspecified standards in the past in order to compete in FB. Hence, my reference to the most notorious instance of that in UF history. You also asked if I wanted to get rid of players currently on the roster in order to meet some archaic standard after I had acknowledged the need to function in the NIL world effectively. Then you finished by taking another bash at me while lamenting about the thread being hijacked. I strongly disagree with almost everything you've said but I do agree that it's time to move on.

8. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

In technical classes grading on a curve is a given

9. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

It’s interesting to see how easily a discussion can run off the rails - when it seems that both people are saying almost the same thing. My wife and I are great at that

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Are you saying that women have trouble understanding simple English?

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. n210sgator

n210sgator All American

Jan 11, 2015
    Neptune Beach
    Well – from my extensive experience – it’s probably not a problem with understanding, but that they don’t actually HEAR what is said:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

not
    going
    there
    :cool:

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. savannahgator5220

savannahgator5220 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Savannah Ga.
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    I agree and that's what I was trying to say. Someone said we should not care about graduation rates and whether athletes should even go to class anymore. So if that's the case why keep up the dog and pony show and keep giving out scholarships to them. And if we do then they should adhere to the same requirements more or less as other kids getting a degree and actually get the work done.

I mean if they want to be able to tout being a college student then do college work.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    The guy has been gone for 15 years and yet they still bring him up as a reference point. Nevermind Georgia had more arrests at that time. Ignore the long sordid history of elite programs doing just as bad if not worse. Miami hurricanes. 90s Nebraska. Fsu in the 90s and then again under Fisher. Many other programs as well. But they can't just call out Georgia and Kirby without this lazy ass "journalism."

Last edited: Jul 30, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    Sorta funny that they bring up all the arrests yet can't seem to say exactly what our players were arrested for...
    Barking at a police dog, throwing a sandwich, getting their own car out of an impound lot...
    Stuff like that vs the very serious stuff that the UGA players have done in the last few years.

This writer also brings up the 2007 shooting and connects to Hernandez to smear Meyer.
    We took a deep dive here on GC 1-2 months ago and multiple sites were clear- AH had NOTHING to do with that shooting.
    But hey- let's not facts get in the way of a good story.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. lizardbreath

lizardbreath GC Hall of Fame

Aug 30, 2017
    Pace, FL
    grasshopper.jpg

• Funny Funny x 3
  18. savannahgator5220

savannahgator5220 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Savannah Ga.
    Today on Finebaum Andy Staples was asked about the UGA arrest. The majority of his answer was spent talking about what happened at UF under Urban. Andy that question was not what happened at Florida 15 years ago. Ridiculous.

• Like Like x 1
  19. hawaiigator

hawaiigator GC Legend

Sep 9, 2018
    He’s a Wisconsin Badger fan. All you need to know

• Informative Informative x 2
  20. northgagator

northgagator GC Hall of Fame

With those ears I though that we was a Transylvania Pioneer fan.
    [​IMG]