Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Another UGA Arrest - Rara Thomas - Cruelty to Children

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by hhpgator, Jul 26, 2024.

1. savgator1956

savgator1956 Sophomore

Nov 18, 2017
    If Kirby needs this kid, look for this to be knocked down to a misdemeanor quick.This could happen despite the fact that he is a repeat offender.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Crikey

Crikey GC Hall of Fame

Feb 25, 2011
    Does anyone here seriously believe that “academics” are mentioned at any time during Kirby’s spiel, except as a potential roadblock to be bypassed? :D

“…and we’ll make sure that those pesky academic rules don’t get in the way of the gravy train… how ‘bout dat?”

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  3. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    I don't think all of the players coming to UF assume they will go to the NFL and make it big there. That's not realistic. And most of them don't get big enough NIL deals to be set for life. I'd bet a lot of their parents recognize this, and believe that academics and a college degree have considerable value.

Plenty of former players who did make it to the NFL, came back to UF to complete their degrees. Obviously, they saw the value in academics and education.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  4. StrangeGator

StrangeGator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Read it in a thread on the insider boards. The poster said that the young women moved into student housing with him at Mississippi State when she was 15, then came with him when he transferred to UGA.

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. ETGator

ETGator Long-Time Gator Stuck In East Tennessee Moderator VIP Member

Sep 15, 2007

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  6. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    What a putz!

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. partdopy

partdopy GC Hall of Fame

Feb 1, 2012
    No, a few fans are pretending players are students. They gave up that charade a couple seasons ago .

But yeah why does anyone cares about the graduation rate of what basically amounts to a group of independent contractors? About as important as the average yards per carry of the landscaping crew.

I think it's more surprising to see that some people here think Kirby smart is in the business of coaching student athletes

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    How old are they both now? I think there’s a lot about being two years apart regardless of 18.

9. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    At least the opportunity is still there for student athletes to get an education

10. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    Because why take up a seat in the classroom wasting a scholarship when someone else could really put it to use. Seems stupid to continue to put on this dog an pony show.

11. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

I get your point but will disagree - part of these kids’ educations is the awareness and acceptance that less than 5 each year will make a career in the MFL. They need to be taught the reality that pursuing a degree is critical to the futures of damn near everyone in that locker room

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    The athletes are almost exclusively online nowadays, so they’re not taking up many seats in the classrooms. :)

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. lizardbreath

lizardbreath GC Hall of Fame

Aug 30, 2017
    Pace, FL
    Your point is extremely well-taken. But it seems that the objections some are raising are related more to the unwillingness on the part of the university and our HC to abandon current institutional standards or to populate the locker room with thugs and assholes in hopes of winning more FB games. The actual trolls from other schools who spew nonsense while pretending to be Gators will continue to do what they do. But there actually are some current UF FB fans who may soon conclude that they've hitched their wagons to the wrong star and will simply drift away if BN "survives" another irksome season. I doubt they'll be missed by the more resolute among us.

• Like Like x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  14. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    They aren’t going to the classes the highly educated go to. Dumbo seats are in a different area.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  15. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    They may be taking what are considered easier majors, but if there are regular entry students in those classes they are competing against the creme de la creme. Its been too long since I've darkened UF's doors, but back then many professors graded on a curve. You weren't just competing against the material, but how others in the class performed as well.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Just about every test we took in Engineering was graded on a curve. God help the poor bastards if they've stopped doing that

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    You very conveniently ignore the fact that UF abandoned certain institutional standards a long time ago in order to be competitive. What percentage of the Football or Basketball team do you think would have been accepted as regular applicants if they couldn't dunk a basketball or run the 40 in 4.5? Are you saying our locker room is currently full of what you so colorfully describe?

18. lizardbreath

lizardbreath GC Hall of Fame

Aug 30, 2017
    Pace, FL
    Forgive me, but you seem to be the forgetful one today. You obviously already know the answer to your own rhetorical question. But FTR, the actual troublemakers and knuckleheads we've seen depart under BN were recruited by the previous regime or came in from elsewhere through the portal. Once they showed their true colors they were gone. And Billy clearly doesn't recruit academic basket cases out of HS, so that "concern" is a red herring too. So, obviously the answer to your rather silly question is a resounding no. Strangely, you seem to be upholding the Pell era of damn the torpedoes and the consequences as an example of the "real UF" - and that since we threw our institutional integrity out the window long ago, what's the prob with doing it now? I do not agree with that outlook in the least and I never will.

• Like Like x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  19. danmanne65

danmanne65 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    I am thinking the Jan Kemp (was that her name) is keeping UGA from just giving kids straight A’s.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    This is true but it’s not a curve in calculus.