Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Another Loss for the US: Japan Breaks with Western Allies, Buys Russian Oil at Prices Above Cap

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Gatorrick22, Apr 3, 2023.

1. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It's funny thing about news cycles/stories. The old ones we more honest and were written at the time of the event, therefore they are more accurate/factual.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  2. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    More "good" news from Saudi Arabia and their alliance with the U.SA.. The Liberals' version.

In withdrawing from Afghanistan and disengaging from the Middle East, President Biden hoped to pivot to confront China and its rising military and economic influence in the Indo-Pacific and beyond.

The loss of a once stalwart security partner and increasing lectures on human rights evidently left the Saudi leadership resentful and looking elsewhere to protect their interests. At the time China was looking to play a more proactive role in global affairs.

A resurgent China, meanwhile, is pursuing a more muscular foreign policy under President Xi Jinping. Far from being prodded into supporting sanctions against Iran as in 2010, Beijing today is hoping to reshape the Middle East by brokering a major reconciliation deal between Riyadh and Tehran.

The irony here is that just as US President Joe Biden makes his vaunted pivot away from the Middle East to confront China over its military and economic influence in the Asia-Pacific, Beijing has spied an opening in the Gulf.

How Saudi Arabia drifted away from the US and into the arms of China

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  3. jjgator55

jjgator55 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Sohogator

Sohogator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 22, 2012
    Show us where Soros touched you;)

5. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    If only Biden hadn't negotiated that treaty with the Taliban, essentially a surrender, and drawn down our troop levels there so far. Oh, wait....

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Rick, you strike me as so partisan that the welfare of the country is less important to you than being able to blame Biden for anything you believe, rightly or wrongly, he is responsible for.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  7. Sohogator

Sohogator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 22, 2012
    That “Dewey defeats Truman” story from 70 years ago sure looks stupid and inaccurate today….

8. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    If China wants to own the quagmire that is the Middle East, have it.
    I have said this for years, the 2 greatest advantages to racing out towards renewable energy are;
    We can tell the ME, Russia and all the other bad actors with the oil to kiss off.
    We would own all the patents on world critical technology before China gets them.

but we are too prideful, myopic, and partisan to do it, so this will be the biggest single strategic blunder in our country’s history. 50 years from now we will be fighting China for favor with the Saudi’s for the scraps of oil we both will need. Or worse, China will have gotten off oil faster than us and we are left trying to hold the petro world together still for our own stability.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
  10. jjgator55

jjgator55 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    My point was that you weren’t able to refute my point with anything that wasn’t imaginary.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  11. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    I read a little bit. The point of the article seems to me to be if BRICS countries can create their own non dollar framework. I didn’t see any particular mention of how that negatively affects the US, at least to a significant degree.

12. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    I mean I suppose if a bunch of countries want to create a currency zone just to undermine the dollar that might be "negative." But the Eurozone isnt exactly smooth sailing, I cant imagine the BRICS countries who barely have any common culture or geography to speak of would make that work or would give up control of their own currency to do that. Seems like it would lead to a lot of weird politics in those countries.

13. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    The withdrawal from Afghanistan has nothing to do with it. That’s just stupid.

I think the deteriorating relationship with Saudi under Biden is fair game for criticism. There was quite a bit of coverage of that issue during the pandemic and the somewhat humiliating and feckless trip to Saudi with the notorious fist bump with MBS. That got a lot of coverage.

The fact is MBS much prefers Trump.

Ultimately it may be for the best for us to reduce our presence in the region and let China have at it, but it’s going to take time to get there.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  14. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    This has nothing to do with Trump. What Biden did leaving all that equipment behind for our enemies, and getting our military men and woman killed in the process, was criminal.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  15. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The dollar being the reserve currency keeps its value propped up and liquid so it has benefits, but also a down side. Trade deficits being one. Here’s a quick article on it, I am using this one because even 9 years ago France was whining about the dollar being the reserve currency. So the fact that they were willing to trade in yuan shouldn’t be a shock.

Being the reserve currency has its privileges and costs - Equitable Growth

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    The main impact is we couldn’t use the dollar as a sledgehammer against them like we did with Russia. Otherwise I didn’t see what materially changes.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Yeah, I agree, but mostly I think those countries working together in a EU style currency governance system is a bit pie in the sky

18. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    I think it is just a currency trading arrangement, not an actual replacement currency is it?

19. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    I dont know about a common currency, but the article seemed to imply some sort of multilateral governing structure for whatever they are doing?

20. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    What I can’t figure out is why India is aligned with China.
    They aren’t friends.

I actually looked it up, none of the reasons are that compelling to me, other than trying to have their hands in both geopolitical power pots. But their decision I guess.

4 Reasons Why India Supports the BRICS

• Informative Informative x 1